Pass the Corona ese... Novel Corona aka COVID-19

abrasivesaint

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

It feels eerie going out to run errands....

And, though I believe in the necessity of social distancing at this time and that this virus is particularly dangerous, I still can't help but sense that something more nefarious is afoot.

And, even if we did go see John Fogerty tonight,  would the vibe be killed?

• Truth 1

I just went out this morning to get a haircut and do my weekend grocery shopping, I'm just gonna live my life and not let this situation drive me nuts. everything I needed was in stock food wise, but just for the hell of it I walked by the TP and water isle and both were empty lol

6Pennies, you should rock out even harder

• Like 1
  • Truth 1
  • Props 2
  • LOL! 1

9 minutes ago, ~KRYLON2~ said:

I just went out this morning to get a haircut and do my weekend grocery shopping, I'm just gonna live my life and not let this situation drive me nuts. everything I needed was in stock food wise, but just for the hell of it I walked by the TP and water isle and both were empty lol

6Pennies, you should rock out even harder

Thanks, man!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kults said:

Stocking up on water is pretty dumb imo. How would this affect water supply exactly?

You'd be surprised. As I explained in the preparedness thread, I've lived through it several times. The scariest was the NYC blackout. As soon as power goes out, water pressure starts dropping. When people notice, they start filling bathtubs and containers, which wipes out the rest fo the pressure. That's one scenario. Another is that the treatment plants rely on power, people and chemistry to make the water you get in your house potable (drinkable). Once again, power gets cut, supply chains are disrupted or employees decide they want to be home with their families instead of stirring sewage and converting it into shit you can bath in and drink.

As mentioned in that thread, its not dumb to ensure you have a few days supply at minimum. You're ahead of the game if you know how to clean your own water and make it drinkable.

More: Preparedness - What we can learn by current events.

• Like 2

I think if you want to know what's happening, setup a VPN and start browsing the international websites. It's still media, but only so much bullshit you can feed people when they can see whats happening for themselves. Stories out of Italy are terrifying.

Maybe this things starts to taper off and creeping back to normal, but damage to the economy is largely done. No doubt they can sweep a lot of it under the rug like they did in 2008, but it'll come to a head at a certain point and that check will get cashed. 

Honestly I hope that's the scenario that plays out cause I could use another couple years to dial my shit in a bit more. Either way, I think you're best served following a 'better safe than sorry' protocol. Not say9ing to panic or to burry yourself in a hole (literally or figuratively), but this is real life... You don't get to pick up health point or respawn if shit ends being ugly for real.

24 minutes ago, misteraven said:

You'd be surprised. As I explained in the preparedness thread, I've lived through it several times. The scariest was the NYC blackout. As soon as power goes out, water pressure starts dropping. When people notice, they start filling bathtubs and containers, which wipes out the rest fo the pressure. That's one scenario. Another is that the treatment plants rely on power, people and chemistry to make the water you get in your house potable (drinkable). Once again, power gets cut, supply chains are disrupted or employees decide they want to be home with their families instead of stirring sewage and converting it into shit you can bath in and drink.

As mentioned in that thread, its not dumb to ensure you have a few days supply at minimum. You're ahead of the game if you know how to clean your own water and make it drinkable.

More: Preparedness - What we can learn by current events.

How would the corona virus make the power go out? Its a flu

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Kults said:

How would the corona virus make the power go out? Its a flu

Spanish Flu was the 'flu' but it still killed off a third of the worlds population. Don't dismiss it just because every other flu in recent history only killed tens of thousands instead of millions.

As you've seen for yourself, modern society is far more fragile than we're led to believe. Few businesses  out there that don't operate on 'just in time inventory', which is essentially a computer algorithm that tracks sales and then places supplier orders 3x daily based upon software that is predicting the bare minimum so that the shelves stay stocked. There's no stock room anymore and deliveries are daily (up to several times a day for the larger regional and national chains). This is why things get wiped out in minutes as we've seen. Likewise, its also why it'll take weeks or months to correct, even if things went back to normal. Currently the regional distribution points are being emptied and the factories are trying to compensate, assuming they're still running. If it's imported, like most things, then the import right now is being delayed cause everything is being screened and quarantined, if its even allowed in. At a certain point, factories simply cannot operate because the manpower is unavailable. 

You guys have all watched the news trickle out and have seen and stated that it all looks overblown. Meanwhile look at the repercussions so far based upon a first wave of panic reaction that is purely driven by speculation, and arguably, sensationalization. Lets say for a moment that we start to see a couple cities start seeing significant die offs... I'm not saying millions or people dropping in the streets, but lets just say enough to start swamping hospitals in those cities and death tools moving into the thousands (not even the tens of thousands normally claimed by influenza). We already saw panic driven by nearly no evidence so start to picture what the second wave of panic reaction will look like when there are actually dead people in view (even if mostly limited to TV and largely limited to a handful of pockets).

You guys are all mostly complaining you don't want to go to work. Nobody really wants to go to work right now. But try and visualize what that will be like when there's dozens of stories being broadcasted 24/7 by MSM with that classic sound bite and video loop that ends up being the next Time magazine cover. How motivated do you suppose people will be to go into work then? What's the point of going to work when people are being laid off by the scores (As @Europe described is the case in his country). Places like CA already have rolling black outs when shit is normal. Many places, also largely in CA, have entire cities that have filed for bankruptcy before all of this. Imagine the consequences of decisions like Italy where they've suspended all mortgage and rent payments. 

I've lived through a couple major events, ranging from hurricanes to blackouts to 9/11. The way I recalibrated my life, as described in several threads that far out date this particular event, comes from witnessing how things go down during those events. It doesn't take much and unless it affects you directly, people sort of block out it all out once we get through the social media outrage and reposting segment of these events. I know what it's like to have water run out. To be at a FEMA camp waiting in line for a package that covers the essentials for a day before you have to come back and wait in line again. To walk into bodegas that have zero to buy cause they got wiped out, not even that it matters cause you spent the little money you had days before. To start picking up on that eerie undercurrent of stress in the streets that my best guess is a combination of stress and that primal instinct that predators are starting to organize. Fortunately the worst if it was a few days (or 6 weeks for hurricane Andrew) with no power. Aid came in and started handing out supplies and shit came back online slowly. I squeaked through on whatever supplies I had and could pull together and before long life goes back to normal and you start putting all of that out of your head.

I know that wasn't a concise answer to your question, but you can connect the dots on that and figure it out for yourself. Power is something we take for granted. That you hit a switch and its just there. You never take the time to really explore how it ends in your house. Of all the interconnections that are maintained 24/7. All the specialized people, knowledge and equipment necessary for that to all work. Yeah, no doubt it'll take something pretty significant for the last of the work force to decide not to go in, but you've already watched the world shut down just off some MSM reports about shit on the other side of the planet.

• Like 2

If the virus hits as hard as predicted (60-70% of the population) you will have worker shortages in every avenue of infrastructure. Sure mandatory OT will kick into effect, but if half the people who work your local grid are out sick or are quarantined, you have the potential for errors on a massive scale which affect power, water, etc.

Further--if half the US gets quarantined there will be a (potential) greater draw on power as everyone will be at home, baking totino's pizza rolls and watching TV, fucking with their computers, etc with all their lights on (if we were more mid-winter we would also have furnaces running at an increased capacity). Meanwhile the half that isn't quarantined is still at work so that normal power draw is still taking place.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, misteraven said:

Spanish Flu was the 'flu' but it still killed off a third of the worlds population. Don't dismiss it just because every other flu in recent history only killed tens of thousands instead of millions.

As you've seen for yourself, modern society is far more fragile than we're led to believe. Few businesses  out there that don't operate on 'just in time inventory', which is essentially a computer algorithm that tracks sales and then places supplier orders 3x daily based upon software that is predicting the bare minimum so that the shelves stay stocked. There's no stock room anymore and deliveries are daily (up to several times a day for the larger regional and national chains). This is why things get wiped out in minutes as we've seen. Likewise, its also why it'll take weeks or months to correct, even if things went back to normal. Currently the regional distribution points are being emptied and the factories are trying to compensate, assuming they're still running. If it's imported, like most things, then the import right now is being delayed cause everything is being screened and quarantined, if its even allowed in. At a certain point, factories simply cannot operate because the manpower is unavailable. 

You guys have all watched the news trickle out and have seen and stated that it all looks overblown. Meanwhile look at the repercussions so far based upon a first wave of panic reaction that is purely driven by speculation, and arguably, sensationalization. Lets say for a moment that we start to see a couple cities start seeing significant die offs... I'm not saying millions or people dropping in the streets, but lets just say enough to start swamping hospitals in those cities and death tools moving into the thousands (not even the tens of thousands normally claimed by influenza). We already saw panic driven by nearly no evidence so start to picture what the second wave of panic reaction will look like when there are actually dead people in view (even if mostly limited to TV and largely limited to a handful of pockets).

You guys are all mostly complaining you don't want to go to work. Nobody really wants to go to work right now. But try and visualize what that will be like when there's dozens of stories being broadcasted 24/7 by MSM with that classic sound bite and video loop that ends up being the next Time magazine cover. How motivated do you suppose people will be to go into work then? What's the point of going to work when people are being laid off by the scores (As @Europe described is the case in his country). Places like CA already have rolling black outs when shit is normal. Many places, also largely in CA, have entire cities that have filed for bankruptcy before all of this. Imagine the consequences of decisions like Italy where they've suspended all mortgage and rent payments. 

I've lived through a couple major events, ranging from hurricanes to blackouts to 9/11. The way I recalibrated my life, as described in several threads that far out date this particular event, comes from witnessing how things go down during those events. It doesn't take much and unless it affects you directly, people sort of block out it all out once we get through the social media outrage and reposting segment of these events. I know what it's like to have water run out. To be at a FEMA camp waiting in line for a package that covers the essentials for a day before you have to come back and wait in line again. To walk into bodegas that have zero to buy cause they got wiped out, not even that it matters cause you spent the little money you had days before. To start picking up on that eerie undercurrent of stress in the streets that my best guess is a combination of stress and that primal instinct that predators are starting to organize. Fortunately the worst if it was a few days (or 6 weeks for hurricane Andrew) with no power. Aid came in and started handing out supplies and shit came back online slowly. I squeaked through on whatever supplies I had and could pull together and before long life goes back to normal and you start putting all of that out of your head.

I know that wasn't a concise answer to your question, but you can connect the dots on that and figure it out for yourself. Power is something we take for granted. That you hit a switch and its just there. You never take the time to really explore how it ends in your house. Of all the interconnections that are maintained 24/7. All the specialized people, knowledge and equipment necessary for that to all work. Yeah, no doubt it'll take something pretty significant for the last of the work force to decide not to go in, but you've already watched the world shut down just off some MSM reports about shit on the other side of the planet.

i appreciate what you're saying but personally dont think it will lead to this scenario 

basically your take hinges on this

Lets say for a moment that we start to see a couple cities start seeing significant die offs...

I dont see that happening as the survival rate is very high

@Kults I don't disagree.

But that is how you get to power issues and why having water on hand is actually justified.

That also goes on the idea that it stays a two week quarantine, and we don't go into a full lockdown like Italy.

I think somebody else brought it up in here already--these people drink 2 liters of mountain dew a day, they haven't had a a standard 8 oz serving of water to drink in years, are they hoarding drinking water just to flush their toilets?

5 minutes ago, Fist 666 said:

@Kults I don't disagree.

But that is how you get to power issues and why having water on hand is actually justified.

That also goes on the idea that it stays a two week quarantine, and we don't go into a full lockdown like Italy.

I think somebody else brought it up in here already--these people drink 2 liters of mountain dew a day, they haven't had a a standard 8 oz serving of water to drink in years, are they hoarding drinking water just to flush their toilets?

Italy was hit the hardest mainly cause they have the oldest population demos in Europe.

With a 2 week quarantine its a fast enough turnaround for people that have recovered to go back to work

https://www.prb.org/which-country-has-the-oldest-population/

Italy is worst case scenario in terms of societal 'shutdown' and AFAIK they still have power/water

14 minutes ago, Kults said:

I dont see that happening as the survival rate is very high

LOL! Really?!

Its at 3.9% according to the WHO. Go back and reread my previous post with the math on that. The Chancellor or Germany addressed her entire country to say that 60 - 70% of the ENTIRE country would be infected. If that happens in the USA,  you're talking between 7,745,400 - 9,036,300 people dying only from this 'flu'.

Yep, most the population wont die of it sure... But the country will not be the same after that. 

I didn't make up that number. It's not swiped off Reddit or quoted off a sensationalist news editorial. That the leader of Germany and the World Heath Organization. I really hope we'll look back on this thread and laugh the whole thing off, but shit is fucked up man and even if its a fraction of that, you're talking hundreds of thousands or a million or more people dying of the flu.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, misteraven said:

LOL! Really?!

Its at 3.9% according to the WHO. Go back and reread my previous post with the math on that. The Chancellor or Germany addressed her entire country to say that 60 - 70% of the ENTIRE country would be infected. If that happens in the USA,  you're talking between 7,745,400 - 9,036,300 people dying only from this 'flu'.

I have trouble believing that, sorry. Maybe i'm naive. Time will tell

https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/situation-reports/20200306-sitrep-46-covid-19.pdf?sfvrsn=96b04adf_2

Its at 3,4% currently. That sounds very low to me for some disease that some are positing will end humanity.

Also, that number is for people infected right? Not dying. Again, its a flu. 2 weeks later you're good

E: Ah Ok i get your math now. Still, large chunk of those dying would be elderly and largely retired, still not seeing how that would cripple a country's economy if these people are not in the work force

40 minutes ago, Kults said:

Italy was hit the hardest mainly cause they have the oldest population demos in Europe.

With a 2 week quarantine its a fast enough turnaround for people that have recovered to go back to work

https://www.prb.org/which-country-has-the-oldest-population/

Italy is worst case scenario in terms of societal 'shutdown' and AFAIK they still have power/water

Italy is under mandatory quarantine. I know people there and have heard it directly. You need a government permit to leave your house in Southern Italy.

1 minute ago, misteraven said:

Italy is under mandatory quarantine. I know people there and have heard it directly. You need a government permit to leave your house in Southern Italy.

Oh I wasnt saying otherwise. What about power/water?

Welp. I’m fucked. Insert that fear I’ve fought  desperately to get rid of over the last few days. 

im by myself here with an amazing job I accepted with (-6 ) in my bank account because my savings was spent during school and my landlord fucked me too hard w/o dinner and a movie. I  clawed my way to get back to the city I love and a job That sought me out. 

I can’t do much else as far as stocking up supplies as I wait for a first paycheck which doesn’t happen for a min 

and the money I was able to acquire has been spent on meds to calm my worrying ulcer down. 

ima go cry by the river now. 
image.thumb.jpg.58f60652e8c158d316e9220dcc16decf.jpg

who's closest to me that has a square to spare and a cot to squat? 

im a great room mate. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Kults said:

I have trouble believing that, sorry. Maybe i'm naive. Time will tell

https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/situation-reports/20200306-sitrep-46-covid-19.pdf?sfvrsn=96b04adf_2

Its at 3,4% currently. That sounds very low to me for some disease that some are positing will end humanity.

Also, that number is for people infected right? Not dying. Again, its a flu. 2 weeks later you're good

E: Ah Ok i get your math now. Still, large chunk of those dying would be elderly and largely retired, still not seeing how that would cripple a country's economy if these people are not in the work force

Nobody said end humanity. Just saying its going to hit hard and that if these numbers pan out, things will look different on the other end. There will be a time before CV18 and a time after.

Canada has 37,742,154 people according to wikipedia. 60 - 70% infection means 22,645,292 - 26,419,507 will be infected. The 3.4% you quoted means 769,940 - 898,263 deaths. What do you suppose Canada will look like if that were to occur? Can your country handle a casualty rate that high? Think you can probably bump that number up a point or two should the 60 - 70% infection + 3.4% death rate pan out?

10 minutes ago, Kults said:

Oh I wasnt saying otherwise. What about power/water?

For now its holding steady as far as I know. We'll see how it evolves. That being said, I believe their water system dates back to the Roman era so they probably have a little more resiliency than the average nation in that regard. But likewise, we're only a couple weeks in and they're receiving a ton of aid since the surrounding countries aren't as far along and can spare the assistance. But they have mobilized their military for assistance and there's wide spread reports of them. having to triage incoming patients meaning that they're making real time decisions about who to bother even trying to save.