This Old Trap House: Wonk Saggin Edition

mr.yuck

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Code has its place, but a lot of the required receptacles are headaches and fights with homeowners because they are getting shit they don't want and will truly never use. 

(FYI I am a residential electrician,  90% new construction, usually golf course gated community mansions.  Though I've been on my first spec house in a couple years this week and have been loving it, so fucking easy to lay out.)

• Like 1
  • Props 3

So I went and picked up my vanity from the cabinet shop yesterday. When I loaded it up, I was thinking that it looked a little darker but I chalked it up to the dim lighting in the warehouse. I get home and my wife is straight like "that's not my vanity."

So we take it back to the cabinet shop and I take this mother fucker right into the showroom and set it down next to the floor model to compare colors.

IMG_20220826_152748907.thumb.jpg.3632df8a57f38860d57a7a89ce34aebc.jpg

This bitch comes out and had the audacity to tell me that the floor model had been sitting out in the sun and had faded a little bit and mine would do the same. 

I straight up told her to stop it. I informed her that I do custom paint and stain matching for a living. You know what I used to tell customers when I first got started and fucked up? That same bullshit you just told me. 

She instantly stopped talking and left to get the guy that works in the shop. He came out and said "whoa." He started to try and explain how the staining works and I had to just cut him off short because he was trying to weasel his way out of any responsibility. 

This doesn't look like that. 

Then this bitch pipes up again "well we started sourcing our maple from a different company and it's taking the stain differently."

Once again, stop it. The only thing I'm trying to hear right now is 'We're sorry. This isn't right. We are going to fix it.' 

They finally accepted responsibility and took the shit back. One final fuck you to their customer was when they told me that I would have to wait at the back of the line and it would be 3 weeks until they would be able to get to rebuilding and staining my doors and drawer faces. Fuckin cock suckers.

• LOL! 1

11 hours ago, mr.yuck said:

So I went and picked up my vanity from the cabinet shop yesterday. When I loaded it up, I was thinking that it looked a little darker but I chalked it up to the dim lighting in the warehouse. I get home and my wife is straight like "that's not my vanity."

So we take it back to the cabinet shop and I take this mother fucker right into the showroom and set it down next to the floor model to compare colors.

IMG_20220826_152748907.thumb.jpg.3632df8a57f38860d57a7a89ce34aebc.jpg

This bitch comes out and had the audacity to tell me that the floor model had been sitting out in the sun and had faded a little bit and mine would do the same. 

I straight up told her to stop it. I informed her that I do custom paint and stain matching for a living. You know what I used to tell customers when I first got started and fucked up? That same bullshit you just told me. 

She instantly stopped talking and left to get the guy that works in the shop. He came out and said "whoa." He started to try and explain how the staining works and I had to just cut him off short because he was trying to weasel his way out of any responsibility. 

This doesn't look like that. 

Then this bitch pipes up again "well we started sourcing our maple from a different company and it's taking the stain differently."

Once again, stop it. The only thing I'm trying to hear right now is 'We're sorry. This isn't right. We are going to fix it.' 

They finally accepted responsibility and took the shit back. One final fuck you to their customer was when they told me that I would have to wait at the back of the line and it would be 3 weeks until they would be able to get to rebuilding and staining my doors and drawer faces. Fuckin cock suckers.

good rant, 7/10 would read again 👍

• Like 1
  • Truth 1

Dope. I couldn't tell if it was a detail cut into the ceiling with like an expansion bead or something of the nature and then you painted each side different colors. 

I feel like they used to do that kinda step down detail in old ritzy houses with plaster. Cool either way. 

• Truth 1

It's super cool man. I have a porch that was converted into a sun room. It's has that old bumpy plaster that looks like it has nerds sprinkled in it. My wife wants me to skim it out smooth I might try and do a similar style out there. Maybe like 3 separate trays with a ceiling fan in the middle of each. 

I might even give it a go with plaster. I've never done it before but I've watched several videos of guys making plaster crown molding and those ceiling medallions around lights.

@fat ralphy

Edited by mr.yuck

That's the damn truth. I don't fuck with plaster at all. The few attempts I've made with it have been disastrous trying to do that sand swirl shit. I got a guy for that and he makes me sick at how easy he makes it look. I found this dope product called structo-lite years ago. Replaces the need for that heavy ass base coat plaster when doing repairs in 1900s houses with the wood lathe for walls. I wonder if I could use that to suss out my basic shape and then come back and smooth it out with regular plaster. 

What ever...

Need to get this bathroom done first 

• Truth 1

Hammer drill trick looks nice ... if its not completely embedded or flush.  I had a bastard of a time with a heat seized machine screw in my gas range a few months ago when I had to replace the heating element.  I ended up drilling it out, hammering in an easy out and sheared it off trying to back it out with a small pipe wrench.  Have never been so angry at something so small. 

• Like 1
  • Truth 1
  • Props 1
  • LOL! 1

8 minutes ago, mr.yuck said:

@metronomeI'm not sure if I would have just bout a new oven. Or possibly would have had to buy a new oven after attempting to get the bolt out with all the wrong tools.

Don't buy samsung appliances.  I completely lost my cool, had no chill, was sweating and swearing profusely but I refused to spend another $2k because of some bastard machine screw.

• Truth 1
  • LOL! 1

13 minutes ago, metronome said:

Don't buy samsung appliances.  I completely lost my cool, had no chill, was sweating and swearing profusely but I refused to spend another $2k because of some bastard machine screw.

I have a Samsung washing machine. Say no more fam. If you don't distribute the weight of your clothes out perfectly before you start it, it wobbles off balance instantly and takes a special cheat code that I haven't figured out yet to unlock it to make it work again. I think @DETOhas the same washer. Would be cool to see if he knows the chest code.

• LOL! 1

If it’s not shut all the way it sways all the way open.  He says it’s the summer swell, which I can tell the difference now that we’ve been here a year.  Idgaf what’s causing it. 
he wouldn’t so I ask my dude here @mr.yuckit this trick works 

I get out the hammer and screwdriver and remove the top pin. (Btw. There are only two hinges on all the doors in this place.) 

all of a sudden he wants to help 

had to do both hinge pins 

but look

Edited by SMdoubleXL
  • Like 1
  • Props 1