This Old Trap House: Wonk Saggin Edition

mr.yuck

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Depends on the soil, 90% of the time a set of PHDs and I'm down to my required depth in under 5, but that 10% of the time when it's red clay or roots/rocks/clay mixed make me hate the activity, too.

That's what apprentices are for. And mine, the idiot that he is, told me on his first day with me that he, "fucking loves digging trenches." Okay kid, you got it. 

• Props 1
  • LOL! 4

15 minutes ago, metronome said:

^^ Home made hydro vac.  
My BIL and I did all the post holes for my deck with a two man gas powered auger and fucking hell never again. 

I installed a metal fence around a house in clay with a gas powered two man auger. I agree with you, never again.

• Truth 1

Lol @Fist 666it's like your man knew the rule about "never tell them what you don't like" so they don't know where to send you when you fuck up. But he went too far and was like "oh yeah I love that shit." Damned if you do damned if you don't. You're digging a ditch, hoe!

damn @metronomeand @LUGRthose power augers are worse than the post hole diggers?

8 minutes ago, mr.yuck said:

Lol @Fist 666it's like your man knew the rule about "never tell them what you don't like" so they don't know where to send you when you fuck up. But he went too far and was like "oh yeah I love that shit." Damned if you do damned if you don't. You're digging a ditch, hoe!

damn @metronomeand @LUGRthose power augers are worse than the post hole diggers?

I was in deep clay, and it caked up the shaft with clay so it didn’t dig until all the clay was cleaned off. It was a pain in the ass to clean because….clay and it bucked and jumped. Towards the end we opted to use water hose, sharpshooter and post hole diggers. I think we also threw around 20 pallets of sod on that job, wheelbarrowed 10 tons of river rock up hill and 5 tons of cock rock through mud on a 2x4 path. That job was an absolute nightmare.

• Props 4

Watching people lay sod makes my back hurt for a week.

And pavers. I'm working a house right now with a 12000sf driveway with a complicated paver pattern. Obviously all Hispanic dudes doing the work, but I don't see how anyone can be in that trade more than 6 months, let alone many years and not be permanently quasi modo status. 

• Truth 2

8 hours ago, mr.yuck said:

The way to do it, if you have the means, is a skid steer with an auger attached.  The two man gas powered auger sucks because like @LUGRsaid the blade catches debris, it's a lot of up and down so its a shoulder pounder and it bucks around on you to boot.  I've never done post holes with a manual digger so I can't compare, I only know that if somebody ever asks me to gas auger it with them I would have to think long and hard about it and ask what's in it for me.

• Truth 1
  • Props 1

56 minutes ago, Fist 666 said:

Watching people lay sod makes my back hurt for a week.

And pavers. I'm working a house right now with a 12000sf driveway with a complicated paver pattern. Obviously all Hispanic dudes doing the work, but I don't see how anyone can be in that trade more than 6 months, let alone many years and not be permanently quasi modo status. 

Oh man, you just brought back more repressed memories from the nightmare I mentioned above.

We also laid an outdoor shower pad and pathway down a hill to a fire pit with pavers.

It all turned out bad ass but sucked ass to do.

• Props 1

Why does it seem like not a one of y’all ever tried to dig a hole in South eastern New England lol?? Clay and good soil….HA! I dug all of twice around my neck of the woods for people and each time it was a fuckin disaster with nothing but enormous rocks. Hated every minute. Definitely one of the hardest jobs out there depending where you live I feel. Never again will I even bother. 

• LOL! 2

I've only ever had one land scaping job. Worked for this contractor that got a ton of work laying sod for new construction. One of my homies hooked me up with the job when I told him I was out lookin. So we get to work and my man hands me a rake and tells me we need to rake the bigger rocks out of the dirt. We're doing this god damn shit all fuckin day and it's hot as fuck outside. But it's whatever. I'm making like $10 an hour. My homies my boss and we're just out here rakin dirt and smokin big ass dirt blunts. Like 30 minutes before the end of the day our boss man comes riding up in a tractor with an attachment on the back that does some light grading and rock collecting. My homies like "cool. This one's ready for sod." I'm excited. Rocks are raked up, I'm bout to learn something new, let's go.

We show up to work the next morning and there are a god damn million Mexicans at this house laying an easy 3/4 acres of sod. We walk to the next house over and my homie hands me a rake again. I'm mad. There aren't enough big ass dirt blunts in the universe to make this enjoyable. But I'm not trippin. It's Friday and I'm about to get 160 bucks for the weekend, son. 

Everything's cool. I get paid, no problems. I'm back at my homies house drinking some beers with him and his wife and he starts talking about Monday. I cut him off like "whoa whoa whoa. Today was my last day man." He starts laughing. I told him this was the stupidest fucking shit I've ever done in my life. If the boss man comes through and tills up all the rocks at the end of the day anyway, what the fuck are we doing raking acres of dirt all day for?

I stayed true to my word and didn't go back. My homie quit that shit a few days later. 

• LOL! 2

It is terrible, but I think everyone should do some manual labor jobs like landscaping in their young life. I didn’t do it until I was older and should have known better, but it was helping out some family business. So, I tried to tell myself it made sense until I almost snapped. I did learn a shit load and supposedly it built “character”.

• Like 1
  • LOL! 1

@LUGRI agree with that. I've put in years of new construction and insurance remodel where the whole thing is gutted and there is no escape from the heat. Nuts to that shit. I'm really enjoying my time doing interior painting right now. Guaranteed AC for sure. The only down side is that it's making me fat. 

11 hours ago, Fist 666 said:

Are you splicing 12g to 14g wire?

Or is that old white romex and is 12g? 

Also, it looks like you're relying on your wirenuts to make the joint, while acceptable by code, a good twist is preferred by any electrician worth a damn. 

The old shit is 12g and the new connection is 12g too…..the new shit is 3 wire which has one unnecessary but thats not getting connected at all and remember trap house gonna trap.

There is some 14g which makes up the overhead light connection and some of the travelers. 

I definitely exposed enough wire to twist prior to cap - used pliers and cranked them a couple times around like some nipples.

My pops is a general so his electrical is pretty fucking basic - as long as the shit dont burn the house down I am good.

Fingers crossed.

• Like 1
  • Truth 1