This Old Trap House: Wonk Saggin Edition

mr.yuck

Also just installed the nose tread piece at the top of the stairs. This joint was like 5 inches wide so I had to rip it in half and then cut the grove back into the back side so it locks in with the tongue of the floor. Finishing touches, I added the micro bevel back into the edge so there's not a hard seam where the 2 pieces connect. 

Of course the table saw wobbled right at the end of my rip and left me with this shit. I'm gonna wait and see how long it takes the old lady to notice.

IMG_20220911_211507761.thumb.jpg.ca22ecebb8d1f8f3ee65f686b84fae4c.jpg

IMG_20220911_211533798.thumb.jpg.817c5c3cd8ab1d286afbfa35d0898ba7.jpg

IMG_20220911_212333952.thumb.jpg.ce35093d7dff3eae5816da656231fd85.jpg

• Like 3

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • 2 weeks later...

Update:

All the master bath tile is set. 2/3 of it is grouted and my man will be back Monday to finish grouting the rest. 

I went to go buy the last little bit of base board I needed and the mill was out of stock. So I asked them to run me another 30 feet and they said it would be 4 weeks. FUCK BRO!

Stairs are completely scraped and primed and are getting ready for paint.

I think I finally fixed all of the air vents from collecting condensation and leaking all over the floor. 

Cabinet company fixed my vanity. Waiting on baseboard to install it.

So cruising through the internet looking for finishing touches, I found this wholely unnecessary flex of light switches and plates

https://www.busterandpunch.com/us/product-category/electricity/

BP_US_2G_Toggle_Brass_Side-1-690x690.jpg.3b9b3162d480c905c6be96b235f52f77.jpg

Edited by mr.yuck
  • Like 2
  • Truth 1
  • Props 1

3 hours ago, mr.yuck said:

Update:

All the master bath tile is set. 2/3 of it is grouted and my man will be back Monday to finish grouting the rest. 

I went to go buy the last little bit of base board I needed and the mill was out of stock. So I asked them to run me another 30 feet and they said it would be 4 weeks. FUCK BRO!

Stairs are completely scraped and primed and are getting ready for paint.

I think I finally fixed all of the air vents from collecting condensation and leaking all over the floor. 

Cabinet company fixed my vanity. Waiting on baseboard to install it.

So cruising through the internet looking for finishing touches, I found this wholely unnecessary flex of light switches and plates

https://www.busterandpunch.com/us/product-category/electricity/

BP_US_2G_Toggle_Brass_Side-1-690x690.jpg.3b9b3162d480c905c6be96b235f52f77.jpg

I am digging the electrical fixtures.  Looks like something to upgrade to in the future. 

• Like 1
  • Truth 1

17 minutes ago, ndv said:

I am digging the electrical fixtures.  Looks like something to upgrade to in the future. 

I was looking at the 360 view on them so I could see how the hook ups on the dimmer work and it looks as easy as pushing the wire into its appropriate slot and tightening a screw down on it like on a breaker. None of this make a hook with the wire and try to fish it around a screw shit. Lol. I can never get that hook right. It's always a hair too long.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, mr.yuck said:

I was looking at the 360 view on them so I could see how the hook ups on the dimmer work and it looks as easy as pushing the wire into its appropriate slot and tightening a screw down on it like on a breaker. None of this make a hook with the wire and try to fish it around a screw shit. Lol. I can never get that hook right. It's always a hair too long.

That's one thing I like about higher-end products.  It's well thought out and designs do not follow traditional rules.   Take highend audio for example, alot of the hookups are some kinda military/aerospace similar design. 

• Props 1

On 9/24/2022 at 11:37 AM, mr.yuck said:

hella convenient- the new switches I put in this month had that direct plug feature and its so much easier.

My old man made a couple of passes with the mud after all the corner bead was put on this week. Starting to look like we are getting towards finishing - that said I do want to run a new electrical floor outlet where the old wall sat, I am thinking a kitchen island would be nice with some electrical sourced right there.

Also need to call the flooring dude this week and get a box of the stuff we put in 7 years ago, hopefully its  available still.

• Like 1
  • Props 1

I'm gonna be honest here. I spent a ton of money on all these matching brizo™ fixtures for the bathroom. All of the pieces to the shower head and hand held shower head piece are made of some shitty plastic. I just know this crap is gonna scratch and chip off within a year. On top of that, the install on all of this shit is overly complicated. If they sold any of this shit to your average home owner, that would be a really dick move on their part.  

For example:

The wall mounted faucet rough ins come with a plastic sleeve on them that shows a margin of where the outside of your wall needs to be.

IMG_20220927_162218204.thumb.jpg.8b19bdaf45e161b967f18cbdc643a93b.jpg

I did that, nah mean?

IMG_20220927_162914958.thumb.jpg.7ba20d81936a465c0a950dc50c36164e.jpg

So I get out the handle and start screwing that bitch on. The handle stops spinning about a quarter inch from the wall. Furious, I spin that bitch off and open up the installation instructions where it tells me to grab a hack saw and cut the fat ring down to 1 inch from the wall. Then it says to cut that gear toothed robot dick lookin piece down to 1 7/8 of an inch from the wall.

IMG_20220927_161221654.thumb.jpg.36ee79afa8cbef2760c06fbcf3417260.jpg

Like if you are doing this level of remodeling, you know how thick your wall is going to be. Why not just give people a smaller margin of error and make a handle that will just screw the fuck on to the thing no matter how long your extra bits are that hang out.

Anyway...

IMG_20220927_164608055.thumb.jpg.4c42c3c9fc365e7f21337ad8638caeac.jpg

IMG_20220927_164934858.thumb.jpg.f27e8d697722de479ae339e6b34dbbd8.jpg

Edited by mr.yuck
  • Like 2
  • Props 2
  • LOL! 1

35 minutes ago, Dark_Knight said:

😳

Yeah. Pretty much. I was super pissed but after looking at it last night I think I'm only gonna have to pop up 6 tiles. I'm just gonna have to carve up the drywall from the room on the other side of the wall and do all of my repairs from back there.

You're not stupid. I sometimes forget other people don't do this all day.

Reducer threshold is used to make a more gradual transition between 2 floors of different levels.

One side is skinnier which would go over the tile and then the fatter step down side would go on top of your wood floor.

prefinished-roppe-wood-floor-trim-hthu500-64_300.jpg.286a89a93d2048b5292482f4376bd4e3.jpg

• Props 1

I do not have pics yet, but last night while I was at the lady's place, I noticed her shower tile has separated from the wall.  Hasn't fallen off, yet, and that's what I want to prevent.  My first thought, was water damage or a leak in the wall has caused the separation. But I do not see any water damage anywhere, and since she lives in a condo, I would think her neighbor  below would have said something by now considering she has lived there since 2020.  

So, if the mud is just old and weak or just bad work that took 20 years to show and not water damage which I hope I do not have to sheetrock.  

My question is, can I just remove the tile and re-set it and we should be good ??

The tile is 12" Ft. Sq.  Marble.  The next time I go over to here place, (next Sunday) I will take a photo or 2 and post.

Need y'alls expertise since some of you have a wider stance in this department than I.  

edit:   Thought I would add this.

Edited by ndv
  • Props 1

@ndvif her tile surround is set using drywall in the shower, that shit was done wrong from the jump. A wet area like that should never use drywall as a substrate. Does that stop people from doing it? Hell no. People do that shit all the time. 

The tile on the back wall of my master bath where the vanity goes is set on drywall, but it's not a wet area like a shower.

There is a good chance that the downstairs neighbor doesn't know. It could be a pinhole leak spraying a fine mist of water onto the back of the drywall. The drywall will just soak the water up, weaken, and eventually fail.

Pics or it didn't happen.

• Like 1

@mr.yuck

Your words are exactly what I thought.  But yes, to answer one issue, they used dry wall and not hardy board.  I explained that part to her as well, that's why I was wondering if it's just a poor job and with inferior materials for the wet area that has now taken its toll.  

I also included in the rework that if this backing is dry wall, it will need to be replaced with hardy board to be done right.  If not then the se results will happen years down the road.  Side note, she doesn't plan on selling the place so I told her, "then it needs to be done right".  

So I guess all in all, I will need to replace the backing and then I can re lay the tile?  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mr.yuck said:

Yep. And when you tear it all down, look for that leak.

I will, one thing I left out. Is the buildings maintenance guy (handy man) was trying to install bathtub fixture for her some time ago.  He basically forgot to turn off the water so water shot all over the place.  I am beginning to suspect that is the culprit of the tile coming off.  But if the shower had hardy board from the start, then the that incident shouldn't be where we are at today, right?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mr.yuck said:

Depends man. They could have used really shitty mortar, too. They sell some $5 bags at Lowe's that are guaranteed to fail. How long has she been there?

2yrs.  Building was built 2001.  I belive she is the 3 owner. 

• Like 1