This Old Trap House: Wonk Saggin Edition

mr.yuck

2 hours ago, NightmareOnElmStreet said:

Good lookin out. Not sure if I’m being clear on agenda though. Definitely useful knowledge everyone’s dropping though. 
I don’t want to make that box bigger (unless I have to for some reason.) I just want to tap in and put an outlet on the other side in my closet. There is too much shit in there and I can’t move anything. 

Dude that’s fuckin dope you’re working for an electrician. If I wasn’t full throttle in my own thing I’d double back straight into that or plumbing heating. Ideally I’d like to work part time for a GC and take on paint work in between but my goals will never get right if I drop out now. 

I almost went with HVAC before I started with the electrician. Did a ride along day with the HVAC project manager and everything. I made my decision based on being more interested in learning electrical.

• Like 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
26 minutes ago, NightmareOnElmStreet said:

I don’t want to make that box bigger (unless I have to for some reason.) I just want to tap in and put an outlet on the other side in my closet. There is too much shit in there and I can’t move anything

Is why you need a bigger box. 

Double gang old work box - to replace the one that's currently available.

Single gang old work box - for the new outlet you intend to install in the closet.

14/2

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LUGR said:

I almost went with HVAC before I started with the electrician. Did a ride along day with the HVAC project manager and everything. I made my decision based on being more interested in learning electrical.

Doesn’t seem like a lot of coin in the hvac lane. Unless you’re higher up in a company or strictly do mini split installs working for yourself. I’m planning on trying that out in the spring. Seems pretty straight forward especially with diy kits like “mr. cool.” Were you in the trades at all when you quit or something else? Thought you weren’t on tr contractor bros with the rest of us around here. 

51 minutes ago, mr.yuck said:

Is why you need a bigger box. 

Double gang old work box - to replace the one that's currently available.

Single gang old work box - for the new outlet you intend to install in the closet.

14/2

Ok I see I see. So cut out the whole shit and do what exactly with what’s there? Nothing, just giving more space to work with? 

• Truth 1

6 minutes ago, NightmareOnElmStreet said:

Ok I see I see. So cut out the whole shit and do what exactly with what’s there? Nothing, just giving more space to work with? 

Do you care about patching those plaster walls up?

This whole shit might be easier if you bust a big enough hole to work comfortably in maybe in the closet. That way you'll be able to pry that old metal box off the stud and get all your wires out of it easily.

20 minutes ago, NightmareOnElmStreet said:

Doesn’t seem like a lot of coin in the hvac lane. Unless you’re higher up in a company or strictly do mini split installs working for yourself. I’m planning on trying that out in the spring. Seems pretty straight forward especially with diy kits like “mr. cool.” Were you in the trades at all when you quit or something else? Thought you weren’t on tr contractor bros with the rest of us around here. 

Naw, I was not on the contractor side at my previous job, but I worked extensively with plumbing, electrical and mechanical contractors.

@NightmareOnElmStreetHVAC is one of the most lucrative trades you can be in. I'm sure you have a 1 hour franchise around you. I think they start their service techs at like 70k company van, insurance Beni's. Plus the mark up they have on units is outrageous. I might trade in all this horse shit and go to school for HVAC work. It's only getting hotter. That's that job security.

• Truth 1

4 hours ago, mr.yuck said:

@NightmareOnElmStreetHVAC is one of the most lucrative trades you can be in. I'm sure you have a 1 hour franchise around you. I think they start their service techs at like 70k company van, insurance Beni's. Plus the mark up they have on units is outrageous. I might trade in all this horse shit and go to school for HVAC work. It's only getting hotter. That's that job security.

No way dude, I have never heard of that around my way. Always seemed pretty mid grade or below across the board pay wise around 35/40. Was just hanging with a guy the other day worked for family company 5 years. 23hr. Trash if you ask me for crawling around in hot ass attics all day long in a full suit. I’ve heard of plenty other dudes making same or less. Never no 75k. 

• Truth 1

2 hours ago, NightmareOnElmStreet said:

No way dude, I have never heard of that around my way. Always seemed pretty mid grade or below across the board pay wise around 35/40. Was just hanging with a guy the other day worked for family company 5 years. 23hr. Trash if you ask me for crawling around in hot ass attics all day long in a full suit. I’ve heard of plenty other dudes making same or less. Never no 75k. 

Your market is probably not as lucrative as Arizonas.

• Truth 1

1 minute ago, NightmareOnElmStreet said:

Thats about the only frame of reference I have. I did have a homie that was in HVAC yeeears ago. He was making 17 or so. He moved to Florida for motorcycle school and when he came back he tried to get his job back with his same company and they offered him $10.  😂 That shit feels mad personal though.

Who knows the whole 70k was probably some unattainable gimmick to get a flood of applications in the door.

2 hours ago, mr.yuck said:

Thats about the only frame of reference I have. I did have a homie that was in HVAC yeeears ago. He was making 17 or so. He moved to Florida for motorcycle school and when he came back he tried to get his job back with his same company and they offered him $10.  😂 That shit feels mad personal though.

Who knows the whole 70k was probably some unattainable gimmick to get a flood of applications in the door.

I also go off of the way schooling is advertised. If a trades program is at some half wit school where you can get a certificate for being a medical assistant and a security guard chances are you’re not banging no real salary off it unfortunately. These poor souls go investing college money into these programs only to end up making 20/25 a hour max at the end of the day. It’s a fuckin rip off. Mf’s gotta stop that shit. Go work under a guy who’s a legitimate pro craftsman somewhere for a couple years  and make way more. Idfk I’m just spitballing here but it’s always in the hood you see these advertisements and there’s a cap on earning. Unless you have all intentions on starting your own shit. Painting sucks unless you’re on your own or get in to a really sick company you can end up high ranking. Even then you’re never breaking 30. Everything is a fuck depending what trade you slither into. Electricians and plumbers got it made if you find the right spot. Usually a city job though. Gotta know someone or you’re never breaking in. Period. 

• Truth 1

If you live in a union state you can make a lot more than $30/hr. 

Seattle area ibew is around $60, talked to a dude who moved down from Boston and said it was around $50 there. 

I'm in a definitive anti-union state so my wages are half that. My cost of living compared to most of those cities/union places is also a lot lower so I'm doing fine. 

Plumbers and hvac both make more than sparkies around here. Hvac dudes bleed a lot, plumbers deal with human feces, and electricians get zapped every once in a while. You pick your battles. 

• Like 1
  • Truth 1

Propers on that repair. Also just put a new outlet up under my roof late AF in December. Lights are nothing fancy, but I noticed I stared at that shit when I got them up for a minute. First time doing lights on the house. Honestly never thought I'd be out there like Clark Griswold. You put the lights yet?

• Like 2
  • Props 2

Ive got 3 giant elms with these tiny little bullshit ass leaves that are impossible to rake. Raked/cleaned the entire yard spotless mow that all the leaves are down. Then climbed up on the roof, did the lights and noticed my gutters were clogged full of leaves and frozen goop. So I had to take the blower up and make a fucking mess on all 4 sides of the house and then cleaned that shit again like an asshole.

• Truth 2
  • LOL! 1

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

Got the street side done, the other half of my lights are arriving after Christmas so this as far as I’m going this year.

image.thumb.png.d99bb2db2401f60afef390e91f97399b.png

Nice place!  Looks like you have one hechuva driveway to shovel during those heavy snow-ice seasons.  Anyhow, I like the walk up entry way to the door.  Looks like adding a large deck out front would really add to the home if dine right I suppose.  Would make great street appeal. 

• Like 2
  • Truth 1

Or my man needs a set of French doors installed on his second story front and center of the house with one of those little faux balconies with the wrought iron railing so that he may show his face during times of dispair, share important news, and wave to all of his adoring subjects... Erm, NEIGHBORS, to show solidarity in the trying times to come.

• Like 1
  • Truth 2