This Old Trap House: Wonk Saggin Edition

mr.yuck

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
2 hours ago, NightmareOnElmStreet said:

Anyone ever have copper gutters installed like a super rich person? Considering getting quotes to find out lol. I’ve always loved them but I bet that shit is HELLLLLA expensive. 

I’ve never even heard of that shit. Sounds classy.

I just moogled copper gutter and clicked on this link https://www.guttersupply.com/shop-by-material/copper

I mean it sounds cool depending on the finish you wanna keep.  If you plan on having the gloss finish, you're gonna put in a lot of polishing work every few months.   I have some metal polish for something like this that lasts 6 months.  But it's work to put in. 

But if you're cool with the tarnish look then it would be low maintenance and probably worth it. 

Screenshot_20230317_145115.jpg

Screenshot_20230317_145140.jpg

Edited by ndv
  • Truth 1

I saw an old roof made of copper where the bottom just curved around to transition to gutter, looked pretty sweet.

When I was a teenager I worked on an old ass house that had wood gutters, made it feel like some fairy tail house. 

Fuck trying to google anything now a days, imagine for a moment that a person wanted to look at historic architecture and examples of roofing rather than buy a roof. 

• Truth 2

8 hours ago, LUGR said:

Copper gutters have got to be an east coast thing.

People around the way would be jacking gutters left and right.

That's why when people ask, you just say, Nah, their painted.  In hopes, word on the street gets around as paint..."  response might work Asa safe guard. 

4 hours ago, morton said:

Fuck trying to google anything now a days, imagine for a moment that a person wanted to look at historic architecture and examples of roofing rather than buy a roof. 

That SEO baby!!!

Edited by ndv

Haha - I paid for some work last week, installed new range hood in kitchen and a vent fan for the laundry closet in the back house.

Paid the second half of my property tax this week - 5.4k and………now my dryer is making a fucking racket and the drum roller probably needs replacing. 

Fuck man. Lol.

• Truth 1

• 1 month later...

I finally got around to ordering a toilet for my master bath. It's crazy how few options they are carrying in store anymore. I was looking for a skirted toilet to match the one in the hall bath, that I actually picked up from the store. The super helpful guy in the bath section told me "oh yeah. You can just go on line and order it and it'll be here in about a week and a half." I kinda laughed cuz I think he was genuinely trying to be helpful but I just couldn't help myself from being dickish. So I responded "here's something to bring up in your next meeting; if I have to go online to order a toilet that was available in the store just months ago, what's stopping me from going and ordering a toilet from somewhere else with an even better selection? The whole point of this store is convenience." My man looked like he was in trouble that he might have just lost Home Depot a toilet sale. I told him "don't worry, Lowe's didn't carry skirted toilets in store either."

• Like 1
  • LOL! 1

2 hours ago, mr.yuck said:

I finally got around to ordering a toilet for my master bath. It's crazy how few options they are carrying in store anymore. I was looking for a skirted toilet to match the one in the hall bath, that I actually picked up from the store. The super helpful guy in the bath section told me "oh yeah. You can just go on line and order it and it'll be here in about a week and a half." I kinda laughed cuz I think he was genuinely trying to be helpful but I just couldn't help myself from being dickish. So I responded "here's something to bring up in your next meeting; if I have to go online to order a toilet that was available in the store just months ago, what's stopping me from going and ordering a toilet from somewhere else with an even better selection? The whole point of this store is convenience." My man looked like he was in trouble that he might have just lost Home Depot a toilet sale. I told him "don't worry, Lowe's didn't carry skirted toilets in store either."

Bidet? Or naw?

• Truth 1

I just priced my first job of the year based on how little I like the customer. It was an insurance job and the job is complete. She decided she didn't like the color and wants to know how much it'll cost for me to come back out there and repaint her foyer. It's just painting from the chair rail up and legit might only be about 15 minutes of painting for me and my old lady to tag team this shit. I told the project manager $500. He said holy smokes that's kinda high. She's 86 and I told him that she can't take it with her. He had me on speaker phone apparently because I heard everyone else around him in the office start laughing.

During the several days I spent in her home, I learned a lot about her. I didn't like any of it. She told me all about how they had the home built in 1965. That puts them dead in the death spiral of segregation. They could have built their home anywhere, but they chose to build in a whites only community.  With the longest mortgage being paid off in the mid 90s, they could have moved on, but they were comfortable with their whites only neighborhood. She also came across as very classist, help comes in through the side, even though the work to be done was right on the other side of the front door. 

She also informed me that her father was a builder and she used to be on the job sites with him as a little girl, so she knows what's what. I replied to this statement that they don't make lead paint anymore.

Fuck this old lady and everyone like her. I'm gonna try and make sure that there is no money left for her to pass on to her probably equally racist fucked up offspring. 

Edited by mr.yuck

I guess I'm gonna redirect my thread to talk about my work day and the supporting characters I meet throughout the week. 

So, today I was sent back into some trappy hood spot. The kind of place where almost all of the old falling in houses have been cleared and replaced with new construction and everything is new but the neighborhood still gives "oh yeah this is definitely still the hood" vibes.

I pull into the drive way and hop out ready to put in work. I get the key out of the lock box and start to head into the house when I hear clear as day from across the street. "Hey young blood. Hey young man, young man." The voice sounds so familiar. I turn around and see this old black gentleman making his way across the street. He says "Hey. I talked to you last week about needing an electrician." This was my first day on this job so I yelled back "Wasn't me man. This is my first day out here. It was probably the other white guy that looks just like me." We both laughed and I ended up hooking him up with an electrician. 

The conversation shifted to the people that used to live in the house before this insurance catastrophe happened. He said "I hope these dirty nasty mothafuckas don't come back once you fix it. I then asked "oh, were they renters?" Now I'm not sure what Mr. Freeman heard me say, but with out missing a beat he looked me right in my eyes and said "Yeah, they was dirty blacks!"

I suddenly realized where I recognized his voice from.

uncle-ruckus.jpg.135b03c02b3e268b2211a04dba2bc8f6.jpg

No bullshit, my man had the one big eye and the one little eye and everything. 

I had some quick course correction to do cuz I'm pretty sure this old man heard me ask if they were "Ns" and just kept it moving. "Oh, sir, I asked if they were RENTERS?" He looked back at me and said "Ohhhh.. yeah, they renters."

Lol. My man invited me to a big ass cook out he has for the 4th of July his wife's birthday and a bunch of shit I can't remember all wrapped into one celebration. People are cool as fuck even if they are self loathing.

• Like 2
  • Props 1
  • LOL! 1