This Old Trap House: Wonk Saggin Edition

mr.yuck

On 12/17/2022 at 4:45 PM, Mercer said:

Propers on that repair. Also just put a new outlet up under my roof late AF in December. Lights are nothing fancy, but I noticed I stared at that shit when I got them up for a minute. First time doing lights on the house. Honestly never thought I'd be out there like Clark Griswold. You put the lights yet?

My wife, bless her, won't let me put lights up because she's paranoid I'm going to fall off of our roof or something.  I'm not a bonehead or anything, but you never know.  We do lights around our tree and up and down our porch column etc, wreaths on our lights.

• Like 1
  • Truth 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
3 minutes ago, metronome said:

My wife, bless her, won't let me put lights up because she's paranoid I'm going to fall off of our roof or something.  I'm not a bonehead or anything, but you never know.  We do lights around our tree and up and down our porch column etc, wreaths on our lights.

Same, my wife and her friend were late for some social thing the other day when I was doing it but they wanted to stay incase I fell. I've literally worked on ladders and roofs most of my entire adult life. Guess it's the number one ladder activity people that don't work with ladders normally get hurt doing.

They have these new gutter clips you attach using an extension pole now. Might use it next year for more safety and convenience. you basically attach the lights/clips on your gutters with the pole and run the wires. 

image.thumb.png.db4fed29b8602a1d694b9efd25a1fb01.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mercer said:

Same, my wife and her friend were late for some social thing the other day when I was doing it but they wanted to stay incase I fell. I've literally worked on ladders and roofs most of my entire adult life. Guess it's the number one ladder activity people that don't work with ladders normally get hurt doing.

They have these new gutter clips you attach using an extension pole now. Might use it next year for more safety and convenience. you basically attach the lights/clips on your gutters with the pole and run the wires. 

That looks like one of those revolutionary ideas that ends up being more of a pain in the ass than the old fashioned way.

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

Ladders I’m pro status with. Nothing like watching someone older and more experienced in the trades struggle with a 16 footer. Brings me great joy lolol. 

• Truth 1

Yep, I get that cringe feeling watching anyone who isn't blue collar, or at least handy try to work with ladders, tools with zero experience. Watched someone try to figure out a cordless drill the other day, they had no idea how to loosen/tighten the chuck. I thought they were going to rip their palm off trying to figure it out. Didn't say shit because they were the easily butthurt sensitive type and I could see the bitch in them struggling to come out. 

• Like 2

I use 14' and 16' step ladders fairly frequently hanging chandeliers and what not. I'm somewhat safety minded,  but if I can stand on top of the 16' for 5 minutes to get the light up INSTEAD of spending 30 minutes stacking 3 bucks of scaffolding (let alone load/unload time on that shit) I'm all over it. Hopefully I don't fuck that up anytime soon.

Highest extension I've ever used was a 48' stretched up to 40' in this stupid ass mansion ceiling. The height wasn't so bad, but the act of getting the thing back down with only two of us in a furnished home was terrifying.

I actively work on the opposite side of the house when I see gutter guys (usually Latin of some sort around here) bungee cord (not even tie downs) a couple 28's together to reach the third story on the back side of a slope. I am not trying to see that shit fail. 

• Like 1
  • Truth 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/19/2022 at 11:53 PM, metronome said:

Now there's an idea.

My community just joined a govt program we have that lets you finance "green" projects for low rates.  Payments tack onto your property taxes (we mostly pay them monthly here).  Thinking its time to get onto solar panels.

do it man.

I dropped 14k on mine upfront and while I am still a few years from breaking even my power bills have plummeted.

I think in about 5 years (2 years deep already) the savings will have equalised the cost.

though we have huge amounts of sun for much more of the year

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

@LUGRbro I couldn’t believe when he showed up with those shits……again.

”The last time I wore them was here.”

I thought think might be trolling me. 

Next step with the floor is some putty and stain - may need to tack it down in a couple spots and set the nails before I putty. 

Edited by fat ralphy
  • Like 2
  • Truth 1
  • LOL! 2

2 hours ago, fat ralphy said:

Finally got this fucking floor finished - the old man and me take 3x any normal timeline on a project.

2EFDF194-89C2-4877-9AA5-3FDE52419F38.jpeg

Bro that looks great. I'm gonna be honest, I didn't have high hopes with you trying to piece in to basically 2 existing floors. You fucking killed that shit!!

• Like 2

@mr.yuck I need to come with some putty and stain to really have the shit proper - also probably nail down the high foot traffic area. 

But it is definitely pretty good for DIY, thanks G

My pops and I were surprised at the difference between the two floors, probably like a 1/4 inch. 

Edited by fat ralphy
  • Like 1
  • Truth 1

16 minutes ago, fat ralphy said:

@mr.yuck I need to come with some putty and stain to really have the shit proper - also probably nail down the high foot traffic area. 

But it is definitely pretty good for DIY, thanks G

My pops and I were surprised at the difference between the two floors, probably like a 1/4 inch. 

Bro I'm telling you, I installed a floor in one of these new open floor plan homes where there's basically a stair case in the middle of the house up to the second floor and all of the rooms flow all around that stair case brick.  By the time I rolled all the floor all the way around that center point and it was time for them to meet back up, the floors were off by about a half inch. You boy was bout ready to cry. Luckily it was a floating floor. I cut the floor away from the walls where it was a little tight and did a running jump onto the floor to make it shift a little. I did this until the bitches lined back up. Took like and hour and a half and I was sweating it. 

• LOL! 4

• 1 month later...

I think the seal under my toilet is leaking. But this stupid fucking banjo countertop is what I get to deal with to try and get access. What a terrible dumb design 

6F979538-7757-40C9-9E6E-547BC9F8D417.thumb.jpeg.d43d147c634ebd3675cb4cf5df28b208.jpeg

My concern - looks like it’s running under the tile and seeping up at the seam where the grout changes. Fuckin up my damn baseboards

0F7E53CF-046E-4C9F-99EE-65F080D6B1FB.thumb.jpeg.ee62934d94c19536bde91237f599cf3a.jpeg

82E0B640-1330-4C37-9D87-E4C2F88BD6E7.thumb.jpeg.b1a8da130b89bc2c451f69a1ff14e001.jpeg

750A92C6-F323-4FF6-8C58-BB965EC10E4D.jpeg

• Truth 2

1 hour ago, mr.yuck said:

@KILZ FILLZdid the restoration company that did work on your house touch that bathroom and pull that toilet?

These companies are required to warranty their work for like 1-5 years. The warranty period is fucking crazy for repair work.

This is the only damn room of the house they didn’t touch. Because of the tile instead of laminate. Flood was in the bathroom by the living room. This is the one in the master bedroom 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mr.yuck said:

Damn @KILZ FILLZthat's a tight spot. I've only ever seen those continuous counter tops a handful of times in my life and never had to work around one. 

If you take the lid off to the toilet tank, what kind of clearance do you have between to the top of the tank and the counter top?

With the tank lid off I get about 1” from top of tank to countertop. Clearance is so tight the tank lid can’t even seat properly. 

im playing with the idea of replacing the banjo countertop with a new vanity myself, but idk. Pop off the countertop, pull the vanity, lift the toilet, remove baseboards. Replace toilet seal, replace baseboard, drop in toilet, install new vanity, repair drywall, paint whole bathroom.

might be a tough sell to the wife tho since it’s the master bedroom bath, but I think I can handle the work. Just kind of have some hesitation what I might find after the last couple fiascos with water damage lol. 

gonna toss the idea out there to get a couple times to test the waters. Would feel like a giant dickhead having a plumber come over to deal with that shitty clearance, but sometimes that’s the way it goes. 

520317C3-19CC-4F48-8995-4B6C8A3654B7.jpeg

28 minutes ago, nicklesndimes said:

@KILZ FILLZstrange that the person installing the toilet/counter didn't anticipate this problem. best wishes getting it sorted!

I’ve caught a few weird things around here. I bought the place off a single mom, I think maybe she had a BF do some work and he was less than legit. Everything is serviceable though. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KILZ FILLZ said:

With the tank lid off I get about 0.5” from top of tank to countertop. Clearance is so tight the tank lid can’t even seat properly. 

im playing with the idea of replacing the banjo countertop with a new vanity myself, but idk. Pop off the countertop, pull the vanity, lift the toilet, remove baseboards. Replace toilet seal, replace baseboard, drop in toilet, install new vanity, repair drywall, paint whole bathroom.

might be a tough sell to the wife tho since it’s the master bedroom bath, but I think I can handle the work. Just kind of have some hesitation what I might find after the last couple fiascos with water damage lol. 

gonna toss the idea out there to get a couple times to test the waters. Would feel like a giant dickhead having a plumber come over to deal with that shitty clearance, but sometimes that’s the way it goes. 

520317C3-19CC-4F48-8995-4B6C8A3654B7.jpeg

They normally install the countertop like that when the owner has had issues with upper deckers.

• Like 1
  • LOL! 3