This Old Trap House: Wonk Saggin Edition

mr.yuck

Progress was made today with flooring repair - the shit is way more intricate than I thought. Especially because the initial installer laid the shit over old linoleum which doesn’t exactly plane evenly into the living room floor.

We also discovered that dude had covered a floor register but its not hooked up to the HVAC - so fuck it. 

We need to get a better set up cut the final keystone section in this weekend.

D196CD47-1B42-4A02-A43D-3F947DFC60C8.jpeg

BA6CA09C-0DDC-47BC-A659-6DF8FB58EB84.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Props 2

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
2 hours ago, fat ralphy said:

He is how white trash my roots run - pops shows up wearing these and we had to make a hardware run, so I end up being seen in public with old dude rockin them. He’s out of his mind on grass so I don’t think he gives a fuck - but we all know my feelings about clean kicks. Shit was tough. 

A1FD9086-2BCE-4E61-9C06-F233B65963A8.png

CB6577A7-719B-475E-9B7A-57E2D7CF124A.png

Never seen anything like this before. Bought them too small? Wanted to let his toes breathe? All of the above?

• Truth 2
  • LOL! 1

@NightmareOnElmStreetyou're good man. Your house just isn't level. Ive been dealing with the same shit. The further you get your TV away from the ceiling, the less noticable it will be.

@fat ralphyAre those open toe boks? Lolz. Bro. That level of confidence is inspiring. I hope that floor works out for you. That's a son of a bitch marrying two floors together like that.

• Truth 1
  • LOL! 1

17 hours ago, mr.yuck said:

Whatcha doin with that 14/3?

The wrong shit apparently lol. It’s not for what I need. Will probably keep around though. I’m trying to fetch a closet outlet off the back side of this media room for my new Dyson vac. I opened it up last night and discovered 3 different romex cables in that bitch all mad tight in there. Called the homie and said I’m not even gonna try. If it was a little cleaner in here I might give it a go. 

Here’s where I was going to tap in. 
E7281FFC-19D2-4845-8376-018902200921.thumb.jpeg.c50b94574003529fbbf3910bae61751d.jpegEBB64594-E42C-41DD-AECC-7EE400DD9ACB.thumb.jpeg.5c323ad9a6c250748aec8c06df6f71ed.jpeg

here’s the backside of this wall in the closet where I wanted to put a outlet. 
C97ED80A-BF42-4C87-A2A0-60848454FD0F.thumb.jpeg.26f5f4bddba7b5ef64aa63151e5ae3c2.jpeg

• Props 1

It looks like there is  14g and 12g wire under those nuts. Make sure the breaker serving that receptacle is a 15a, not a 20a breaker. (My house is the same way--early romex all had white jackets, in the early 00s they became color coded, so home depot special handymen matched wire size by jacket color and tied smaller [cheaper] wire into larger circuits. I wish manufacturers had chosen 10g to be white jacketed then this problem wouldnt exist...)

And as that box is full, you could make it into a 2 gang box quite easily.

• Like 1
  • Props 1

Both y’all nurgas speaking French to me. You trying to tell me I don’t need new romex to get an outlet off this one mess. Also I removed the outlet from the mess box so all those wires are just dangling. Got the room blocked off like a murder scene so my 2 year old can’t get in. Feels dangerous lol. Might put it all together and give up. Maybe y’all can help though 😂

• LOL! 2

2 minutes ago, NightmareOnElmStreet said:

You tryna kill me, son??

Nah. You'll be good. It'll just make a bright pop and everything should cut off at the breaker. Just don't be hangin on to the bare wire and you'll be fine. I've also found a screw driver works pretty good. Just don't be touchin the metal hits.

• LOL! 1

You need new wire.

The box that currently has your hot electricity feed in it is full.

If you make the old box twice as big you will have room to feed the new box.

The new wire will come from the old box (made into a double size.)

The old box will have two receptacles, or four places to plug into.

Small wire carries small load. Bigger wire carries bigger loads. There are two sizes of wire in that old box, so your breaker needs to match the small sized wire.

A 15 amp breaker is what should feed this circuit. If it is a 20a it is wrong.

And you need 14/2, not 14/3. 

• Like 2
  • Props 1

Also, some people call those testers "suicide sticks" for what it's worth.

False positives are real common, false negatives happen sometimes, too. Had one this morning (ended up being only 28.8 volts [fucking vantage] but wasn't expecting it). 

Just turn the breakers off and you'll be fine, or use yuck's method. When I can't figure out what goddamn circuit a receptacle is on that's what I do. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fat ralphy said:

Honestly of all the amature shit I do - electrical is the one that scares me the most. I always make sure to shut off the circuit and even then get paranoid.

I have basic wiring skills but we are for sure entering high risk low reward area - have an expert or homie present or just pay bro fuck it

I have always felt the same, terrified with anything electrical but it is something I have always wanted to learn. 3 months ago I decided to resign from my job and have been working for an electrician. Not sure how far I am going to take it, but, been pretty stoked to be learning new stuff and not be freaked out anytime I see exposed wires. Barely, scratching the surface on understanding it all.

• Props 4

27 minutes ago, Fist 666 said:

You need new wire.

The box that currently has your hot electricity feed in it is full.

If you make the old box twice as big you will have room to feed the new box.

The new wire will come from the old box (made into a double size.)

The old box will have two receptacles, or four places to plug into.

Small wire carries small load. Bigger wire carries bigger loads. There are two sizes of wire in that old box, so your breaker needs to match the small sized wire.

A 15 amp breaker is what should feed this circuit. If it is a 20a it is wrong.

And you need 14/2, not 14/3. 

Good lookin out. Not sure if I’m being clear on agenda though. Definitely useful knowledge everyone’s dropping though. 
I don’t want to make that box bigger (unless I have to for some reason.) I just want to tap in and put an outlet on the other side in my closet. There is too much shit in there and I can’t move anything. 

21 minutes ago, LUGR said:

I have always felt the same, terrified with anything electrical but it is something I have always wanted to learn. 3 months ago I decided to resign from my job and have been working for an electrician. Not sure how far I am going to take it, but, been pretty stoked to be learning new stuff and not be freaked out anytime I see exposed wires. Barely, scratching the surface on understanding it all.

Dude that’s fuckin dope you’re working for an electrician. If I wasn’t full throttle in my own thing I’d double back straight into that or plumbing heating. Ideally I’d like to work part time for a GC and take on paint work in between but my goals will never get right if I drop out now. 

• Like 1