anyone joining Peace Corps?

localmartyr

don't get it twisted, i'm no hippie or tree hugger. i just don't want to be here anymore, but im unemployed, dead broke, and in debt, so vacation is out of the question.

the recruiter said i would have to sacrifice many things including being around my family, my friends, and basically the general public, they asked if i wanted to know where i'd be sent...i wanted to know where to sign.

Would anyone else chill with HIV positive deaf Somali children for a free trip to Africa?

peacecorpswellpaintingp.jpg

but seriously...

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im thinking of joining the navy cuz i have no clue what the fuck ima do with my life. rite now im in community college and racking up some debt with loans and what not i barely found a job that barely gives me hours so im like fuck it why not i wanna travel...somewhat free.

but yeah i think that africa wouldnt be a place that id want to visit but hey if thats your cup of tea meh why not rite?

There is actually a lot more to the training and processing of your application. The application process alone takes 6 months to a year. Then training for close to a year. Are you proficient in another language? Do you have a degree in any sort of human services/social science program?

Join the Americorps. Charity starts at home.

im thinking of joining the navy cuz i have no clue what the fuck ima do with my life. rite now im in community college and racking up some debt with loans and what not i barely found a job that barely gives me hours so im like fuck it why not i wanna travel...somewhat free.

but yeah i think that africa wouldnt be a place that id want to visit but hey if thats your cup of tea meh why not rite?

if your serious talk to me first... ill give the "real talk"

shir sucks sometimes.

anybody thinking of joining the service to solve their economical situation is fucking stupid.

that's like thinking "if i knock up my girlfriend, it'll bring us closer and solve our relationships problems"

but by all means, if you're that stupid sign up. they need people like you then.

NOW

as to the peace corps, go for it dude. if you aint got shit going on in your life now, and you're a waste of space and recognize this fact - DO IT. you'll probably build up character if the aids doesnt kill you first.

I dont know how far you made it in school, but most peace corps positions require a bachelors degree also. A family member of mine was in the peace corps in Togo. She said it was one of the most amazing experiences shes ever had. Its a pretty serious commitment though...not a "im tired of being here, I want to go somewhere else" kind of thing. I would suggest putting a bit more thought into it. But hey, what do I know.

There is actually a lot more to the training and processing of your application. The application process alone takes 6 months to a year. Then training for close to a year. Are you proficient in another language? Do you have a degree in any sort of human services/social science program?

Join the Americorps. Charity starts at home.

Still stands

joining the peace corps definately isnt something you should consider if you "just dont want to be here anymore." what happens when you get wherever they send you and you just want to get out then?. theyll probably send you to the middle of batshit nowhere and leaving just wont be a readly available option. try spending a couple weeks alone in the woods and see if its still a dope idea.

• Like 1

97% of 12 oz couldn't hang with the Peace Corps. The ones that could deal are ex- or current military, trainhoppers and anyone who's lived on the streets or cut off from civilization for extended periods of time (and that's just dealing with the reality, the commitment and compassion involved are a whole other issue). I'm no exception, I'm sure I wouldn't make the cut. My health is no bueno, definitely not good enough to zap off to a third world country for a year or two.