Abstracts

Bojangles

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I haven't been on here in forever i apologize for jumping in with a critique and not a contribution but i haven't done anything New.

Bojangles Looking at that wall i think that is an insane idea and i really think it could be something that you can keep doing in the future. It looks like the individual canvases are the best part of the installation. It seems like they all came out with the Bojangles Flare and work great as individual pieces, but i think you missed a tremendous oppurtunity to have the overall wall turn into a bojangles masteriece. Meaning that im not sold on the complete wall as a whole. I think you made the letters too basic and almost stick figurish, or childish, I think you could have incorporated more style into the initial letters it would have made a overall more dynamic piece. I think this is a hard task that looks easier than doing, as keeping the balance right without compromising the smaller canvases im sure is difficult. Great idea and keep pushing boundaries just my 2 cents.

Thanks Poesia,

You're right. It did actually become a bit of a rush job because the show got bumped forward a month and into my busy freelance season, allowing me only 3 days to paint that.

It was really experimental, and I had this idea of really basic, scrawled letters in my head but I think they would've come off a lil' better had I done them with either a fat cap or even as a fire extinguisher tag or something.

My original goal was to paint the whole wall, meaning background color and everything. Not leaving the gray gallery wall intact, but time got the best of me.

It was in fact REALLY tough finding the balance between the letters and the art on the canvasses canvasses. It was like having a three way with two jealous girls.

I used to do them in one quick burst, but I'm learning to walk away for anywhere from a few hours to a few days to get a new perspective on them.

It's all about working in layers.

P.S. Decyferon,

I've been known to trade some small pieces for care packages. Especially if you're overseas.

I love foreign snacks, music, dvds, etc.

i'll swap you some australian stuff for a real small piece or sketch or something

I haven't been on here in a while either, and I apologize. I should be on here at least once a week but I, for some reason, skip it. That said, I agree with what Poesia wrote. Personally, I think it would have come out a lot more "Bojangles" like had you concentrated a majority of the canvases to one side of the wall and then one or two about six or seven feet to the other side. I've always liked the work you've done on canvas or board where you have a high concentration of paint on one spot of the canvas and then a smaller concentration of paint, aesthetically placed, elsewhere on the canvas. I don't have time to skim the thread for an example. I think you could have still pulled off the simple letters idea by doing this. However, this is just a critique of something done and done so it doesn't really matter.