Toys post here...

swif1

6 hours ago, Giant said:

One I’m doing for a friends kid. These letters just seemed to drop together pretty easy. 

59F189A5-D602-44B0-97FE-F218EAAABC57.jpeg

I reckon the M might do with some tweaking but the rest looks pretty decent. I probably would have swung the bottom of the Y out to the right somehow for a bit more flow as well as flatten the left upright of the A to flow better with the following letters, but that's probably just personal preference.

• Like 2
  • Props 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Ray needs to drop all "styleiazation" and do keyboard text letters to better understand the bar its self. as for your char the lines are scriblily, try making them cleaner bye use smaller motions and connecting them together to look like a smoother thicker line  .  

Here's how I do it . Sort of cheating way but I make all my lines with pen leave the inportant ones pen thickness maybe a 2 pen thickness . But I use a sharpie to smoothly thinking the other line becuse it's faster.  But sloppyer., I did to it with a pen befor but it takes so long lol not that it's a bad thing it will help with outlines once you begin painting but that's a long ways from now . No disrespect .  

But as you can see the sharpie isn't the best for smaller shit like the inside loops of the l and e I fucking butchered them with the sharpie and instinalty regreted it lol . Deff takes time . This graff game does not happen over night ray . It takes years and years . The less you listen the longer it will take too . 

20190901_003424.jpg

20190901_111223.jpg

• Like 1

Don't be sorry mang just .Practice and practice and more practice ! Best way to go . 

These are the simple letters I mean when I say keyboard letters 

Then after you get those down all style is your own interpretation of how the bars should end / connect  to one another lil do dad's and bits witch you have now but your not useing them properly there just random . But after you understand the letter flow and structure you'll know where it looks whack and where it looks good . Hopefully this makes scence . 

Screenshot_20190901-162658.png

Screenshot_20190901-162718.png

Screenshot_20190901-162738.png

Edited by ElbowMack187
  • LOL! 1

On 9/1/2019 at 11:46 AM, Ray40 said:

Thanks, sorry I guess I just need to work hard and be more patient 

No need to say sorry.

As we've all said several times before, you're trying to flex beyond your means. Graffiti isn't something you learn and master on summer vacation, or after watching some YouTube videos... it's only after years of practice and following advice given to you by your peers that you progress. Personal drive is important, that desire to be better is important, you've got that, but the more you overreach the more behind you get. 

Draw box logos... by that I mean, like, Ritz Crackers, Fruit Loops, Pop Tarts... all those box logos have a style to them that has a slight Graffiti flow to them. The reason they're great to draw is that it teaches you to draw very simple letters, how those letters flow from one to the other, and most importantly... they're super simple. You've got to get the simple letters down before you can move on. I know... I know it's lame but it's up to you how you want to progress. 

Spend a week practicing real simple letters and post your favorite two drawings you did after that week. 

• Truth 1

On 8/30/2019 at 9:17 AM, ElbowMack187 said:

Ima post some sketches here for crits to then ? I don't wanna flodthe other one with my shit  .

Here some shit I'm on right now trying to take in what you said befor but I feel this b still flows like a r  i can't escape it lol i also not feeling the extra bar on the e idk its not right and i cant figure it out 

20190830_121234.jpg

I made some edits to this sketch on my iPad and want to share. I thought I saved the images to my Dropbox but I didn't. When I'm home tonight I'll post them and you can let me know what you think. Until I can get to that...

Let's chat about the Mirroring of left and right. Popular, always looks cool, but tricky to pull off. Some folks mirror exact left and right, some mirror so both sides feel similar but aren't exact. Both styles work so choose which works best for your sketch. You've worked on it a little bit in your original sketch and this updated one, and it's close, but not quite there. One of the things I used to do when sketching mirror pieces was I'd get one letter the way I really want it (for example, your E) and then I'd graphite transfer that letter, mirrored, to the other side of my sketch and use it as a guide. For reference - Graphite Transfer

One of the best to master this style is Giant BA, and yes... I'm biased because Giant is crew. 

10years.jpg

• Like 2

@ElbowMack187- I broke this down into each letter and I'll try to explain as I go along. 

I started with the E because I felt that was the strongest letter in the sketch. I liked the little loop you have coming off the E and saw potential there for the L.  

LBOE_02_E.thumb.jpg.cdc96b2c4995259f1afb013372199865.jpg

I took that little loop section and mirrored it to the left side and used it as the structure for the L This gives you almost an exact mirror image of the E. 

LBOE_02_L.thumb.jpg.6d45877097b1188e09fab9b2f7720036.jpg

Okay, I'm not gonna lie, I kinda through in the towel on the B but my only real goal with it was to make it look and feel more like a B. I get what you're striving for with your squared-off bottom section of your B, but after a few iterations of your sketch it still comes across as an R, even with that bottom bar closing the loop. I would keep messing with the B until you can find a solid middle ground between rounded and squared-off. Maybe the bottom of the loop is rounded but the top section is squared? Or maybe the top section that loops around toward the L is squared? 

LBOE_02_B.thumb.jpg.35ad97b1335bd53ca56d9f8acd978e2c.jpg

The O really wasn't that bad. I thought the thin bar stretching across the piece to connect to it was forced and therefore unnecessary, but I did like the bar coming off the extender, so I tried to give it a little more purpose. A lot of times up-and-coming-writers will try to mimic established writers by adding these bars and feeders coming off their letters, but they don't completely understand that these pieces need to come from somewhere. More to the point - don't just add a bar because it fills a space, make that bar come from somewhere to fill that space. Example: if you look at the top right bar of the E you can see a feeder squeezing out of that bar and hooking down to connect to the bottom of the E. You can see that the feeder is coming out from the apex of that bar in the top of the E. It's like as if the bar was straight, you bent it, and that feeder bar pushed out from the pressure. Meaning the bar is coming from somewhere. When done right (and the bar coming off the O is not done right, sorry) these feeder bars look amazing. Anyway... I liked how you connected that feeder from the O to the E so I wanted to keep it. There's definitely a better way to do this, but I'm drawing a blank at the moment. 

LBOE_02.thumb.jpg.56ca9dc38c1a98b0c4355df6413e0f47.jpg

Edited by Joker
  • Like 2
  • Props 2

How's this . I tryd to keep the letters uniform  and have flow  but not be to identical , minimum extensions just the semi mirrored two but there not sapose  to be symmetrical  . More like semi or a symmetrical where it's the same but different if that makes scence lol  . Then there's a lil symmetrical attempt but it gets clustered fast and there's no o lol .

a lilquick exchange for grim the YouTuber.

And a shity Taft battle peace 

20190908_123534.jpg

20190906_181047.jpg

20190908_112902.jpg

20190907_104036.jpg

Edited by ElbowMack187
  • Like 2

@ElbowMack187- Yep, these are feeling much better.  

Sketch One - That feeder bar coming off the B and attaching to the bottom of the L... very nice. I think overall you're heading in the right direction so I won't dig too deep into this one. The B feels a little more like a B and not an R, which is good. The O doesn't quite feel like an O but I get it. The E is good, and I like what you did mirroring the feeder bar from the B/L. The rivets feel a little heavy, like there's too many lines & rivets, but I understand what you're doing. My personal opinion on them is when there's too many lines & rivets it starts to feel Frankenstein-like, stitches and such,  and less like you 'built' this piece from sheets of steel. 

Sketch Two - Don't worry about it not having an O. What you're doing is getting the feel for how these letters can work together so this is perfect. Personally I enjoy these little sketches and do them all the time. Like, ALL the time. It's a great way to "sharpen knives" as some would say. Keep exploring. 

Sketch Three - Simple, clean, feels good to me. 

Sketch Four - I like what you did, here. The upside down A is a winner in my book. Mirrored Ts, the heart on the F... all good stuff. 

• Like 1

I feel that same way on the first o lol I had it closed but didn't look right ethire maybe if they were over laps the other way so it would look more like the motion it would be written in a handstyle . Or maybe if i spun it around completly with the bend on the right side then i would have a reason for that second extention.  Ima try it out . I'll post it up . 

I need a tablet  make that flip easy as fuck lol 

@ElbowMack187- Honestly, I liked the original better than your recent edits. In your original, the feeder bar going from the O to the E felt more purposeful, and flowed nicely. I also liked how you were repeating the downward angle of your all your letters (except the B - maybe add that flat-bottom angle to the B?) as it was a nice flow - see my crappy Photoshop paint marks on your sketch below that illustrate this (sorry, at work with no tablet to do this nicer). I also think there's a way to bring that same language you have going on at the top of the L and B into your O and E - again, see crappy image below for a thought on how to achieve that.

LBOE_Annotations.jpg

• Like 1
  • Props 1