Toys post here...

swif1

18 minutes ago, billoboy2020 said:

ok thanks man thats something i can work with.  What do u think of the looks of the throw in general? if time didnt matter i mean. 

I get what you're asking, but if time didn't matter you would paint a piece. 

To answer your question, though... I think it looks clumsy. Like I mentioned earlier, there are too many breaks in the lines that make up the letters, it's an odd mix of blocky and bubble, the consistency from letter to letter is a good thing, but because the letters look clumsy on their own it ends up making the whole throw-up look clunky and disjointed. I think once you can get a simple throw-up down and be able to do that in your sleep, you can circle back to this original concept and see how you can incorporate those ideas.

Thanks for jumping in @misteravenand showing some solid examples. 

Edited by Joker
Further thoughts...
  • Like 2

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I agree with what Joker is saying, though clearly the Remio example sort of counters this. But before you point that out yourself (if you caught on), before you can break rules you need to master them.

Again, look at who does it right... Follow their lines and try and anticipate the flow of how they do it. Figure out the breaks and connections and then start practicing various versions yourself until you find a swift execution, that makes sense visually and has some of your own original contributions to what is otherwise a fairly common aesthetic.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ElbowMack187 said:

To stay on topic how are these ? 

Bottom one was scraps 

This write peice is for a battle on bs could I get sone thoughts I feel it needs to dance more . 

Screenshot_2019-10-10-10-40-26~2.png

I like it, I think it looks solid, but I have no idea what it says. I see an L and the start (which I really like, BTW) and an E at the end - the rest is not clear to me. 

The Write piece looks nice, as well!

@Jokerwhat about this one? I know the i is still a little squashed ... I started this after I notice I do that.  I dunno really how to fit the i with the L in all caps yet its inherently abit of a stupid composition but I also thinks out the shadows in some places u mentioned that once.....but I never know if u give shadows to letters that overlap. Like does under the top bar of the i get a shadow? I put it in anyway so u can see. overall I just tried to make it more dynamic. 

39972C56-0CF7-4690-A4AA-4D99DB822CB0.jpeg

35 minutes ago, Limeliciouz said:

AIGHTTT MINOR CHANGES TO THE ABOVE BUT MY OCD COULDNT RESIST REPOSTING AND I FORGOT HOW TO EDIT POSTS IM SORRY Y’ALL CAN PLAY A SUPER INTENSE VERSION OF SPOT THE DIFFERENCE THO LOL

So that feels better but you're still cramping the too much. floating the L overtop the I and the I is encroaching the M far too much. Let the letters "breathe" a little and trust that when you add shadows or 3D will fill in the gaps from the empty spaces between the letters.

You can also overlap letters from the left, not just the right. Meaning, part of your I can overlap the L and part of your E can overlap the M. Mixing it up both ways helps make even simple letters more readable. 

As for shadows where letters overlap - the shadows will react the same but because your letters are overlapping the depth of shadow will be reduced about half, and it's best to do the shadow lighter or as a light fade. 

Example below:

Screen Shot 2019-10-10 at 11.08.52 AM.png

• Like 3

Thank u so much! I always thought it was difficult because of the L . I really appreciate that tho i hope I am making progress🙈 ☺️ Aww I that compliment really made me feel good lmao....props to u for the forum tho 🤙🤙👊 I’m really benefiting from it as u can see and we all appreciate the work that goes into it

4 minutes ago, misteraven said:

@Limeliciouz

Lime is a really cool name. Don't think I've ever seen anyone write that and a great assortment of letters. Also lends itself well for specific themes.

Good job picking that out. Looks like you're making progress with your letters as well. 

2 minutes ago, Limeliciouz said:

Thank u so much! I always thought it was difficult because of the L . I really appreciate that tho i hope I am making progress🙈 ☺️ Aww I that compliment really made me feel good lmao....props to u for the forum tho 🤙🤙👊 I’m really benefiting from it as u can see and we all appreciate the work that goes into it

Sure thing, welcome to 12ozProphet. Don't be shy about exploring other threads and sections. @Jokerhas taken it upon himself to provide the awesome mentoring in here, but lots of other cool conversations and stuff to check out.

• Like 2
  • Truth 1

28 minutes ago, ElbowMack187 said:

Its says lboe . but i put a face in both the b and o becuase all the open counters. And I dont like to do the same thing as every buddy and theres not many do daddy filler things that aint play out . but here is one with out a face . the b and o r plain as fuck ik :((

I figured it said LBOE but I just couldn't see it. Now I understand the E as I can see it's a fist. Throw-ups, and the style in which you do them, is a personal preference for sure. I prefer simple throw-ups like Adek, Bonus, Skuf, KR, Oil... easy to read and bold. Guys like Rime add in the storytelling like you're doing and it looks great, but unless I know who did it I often get confused. So don't take my easily confused brain as a dis... I'm old and partly blind. Get off my lawn!!

• LOL! 2

One of the people that mentored the overly overlapping letter problem out of me told me that my letters needed to be able to stand on their own.  And what that meant was that I was hiding a big part of the letter that gives it character.  In some cases, the part that you're overlapping and "getting rid of" could be used to add a really cool detail or flourish to the letter.  I'm not an expert, that's just my 2 cents.

• Like 3
  • Truth 1

I get what you mean like if it was to space it out enough so you could see whats going on befor the swoop down . and like there could be a box or the same thing as the L going on behind the b on the o that I could bring out up top if I did a lower case b idenical to the L .  

And no offence tooken Joker I deff feel the getting lost in some people throws. And not being able to read them . my biggest throwys insperation is probly dier 59 , ghostface.  So I mixed an lol but I like them clean strights like Gyer . Gray. Goal ...Must be a g thing lol 

Alright so I sketched something just now concentrating on breathing room between the letters - no overlaps whatsoever.

I did use inspiration from an alphabet I found on pintrest which I’ll post but I hope I didn’t bite too much 🙈 I kinda like how it turned out so I added a 3D n a few drips. Just not so sure on the top of the E tho. I like the bottom of it. I like that it doesn’t match the L and that it has its own flow. 

I also colored in the simple 3D n I think it looked better in my head but whateva it’s okay I’m a beatiful work in progress and so is my graff *flips hair*

D477D870-50CF-4F9D-A42C-15EEF7290C23.jpeg

540F2088-6B76-4E6B-97F5-34216357C4D4.jpeg

530D1753-44BF-410C-B0B2-7A303882CD70.jpeg

• Like 2

@Limeliciouz- nicely done! The piece inspired by the inspiration looks great with only the M looking too close to the original, but you’re learning so no foul called... just don’t paint it 😉

The arrows - so a general rule for arrows is use them as battle armor. Always have them point away from your piece, not in. The original idea behind arrows was that they were put at the sides of a piece as protection from the pieces around it, like spikes. That’s why you see some writers with three, four, or more arrows coming off the left and right sides of their piece - they’re protecting their piece from the others on the wall. They’re battle ready. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Dirty_habiT said:

One of the people that mentored the overly overlapping letter problem out of me told me that my letters needed to be able to stand on their own.  And what that meant was that I was hiding a big part of the letter that gives it character.  In some cases, the part that you're overlapping and "getting rid of" could be used to add a really cool detail or flourish to the letter.  I'm not an expert, that's just my 2 cents.

East att df talked about this recently-- about people putting half the letter behind the previous one without understanding what the hidden part of the letter is supposed to be doing. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Limeliciouz said:

@Jokerooh I never knew that. I really want to add arrows to my peices but i know its a touchy subject and I’ll prob do it wrong so do u mind giving some tips on adding arrows to the letters?

Crowns are a touchy subject. Very few writers in the world have earned the right to use a crown with their name. A lot of writers use them, but they haven't earned the right. 

Arrows are like bits and doo-dads... they are flare for your piece, they add depth, and they add protection. As mentioned earlier the general rule is to use them coming off the sides of your piece as a way of protecting it from pieces around it, but there's no hard rule saying you can't have arrows pointing up or down, or angled... whatever. Hell, I used to do arrows that had more arrows coming back in on themselves which completely spat in the face of why arrows were there in the first place. Some writers have several arrows going in every direction on each end of their piece. Some use arrows as a letter. 

My call-out to you was to get your use of arrows to basics - to the sides of your piece. Let's get used to using them and then shake it up a bit from there. 

Some solid examples below, but there's millions of great examples out there. 

drips-bates-the-exchange-1200-38.jpg

ftr_9a71fcabf0fe6cf88b2339dac0863491c0abfade.jpg

@JokerI know abt the crowns I also always thought about halos that way too....feels wierd that every joe off the street uses it for everyday peices. Feel like they’re supposed to be for tributes or Kings. Whateva

Arrows arrows arrows arrowsaraowsaraowsaowsraowaarrowsarowsarowsarowsA A A AArrowwwwwwwwwssss everabady watch ma aaaaaaarrrroows yeah 

0D0674D8-59B4-4CAD-A000-D76A258900F6.jpeg

2 hours ago, Joker said:

Crowns are a touchy subject. Very few writers in the world have earned the right to use a crown with their name. A lot of writers use them, but they haven't earned the right. 

Arrows are like bits and doo-dads... they are flare for your piece, they add depth, and they add protection. As mentioned earlier the general rule is to use them coming off the sides of your piece as a way of protecting it from pieces around it, but there's no hard rule saying you can't have arrows pointing up or down, or angled... whatever. Hell, I used to do arrows that had more arrows coming back in on themselves which completely spat in the face of why arrows were there in the first place. Some writers have several arrows going in every direction on each end of their piece. Some use arrows as a letter. 

My call-out to you was to get your use of arrows to basics - to the sides of your piece. Let's get used to using them and then shake it up a bit from there. 

Some solid examples below, but there's millions of great examples out there. 

drips-bates-the-exchange-1200-38.jpg

ftr_9a71fcabf0fe6cf88b2339dac0863491c0abfade.jpg

Speaking of which, @STYLEISKINGshould really jump in on some of these conversations. I've seen him regularly posting other peoples outline and knowing hime pretty well, believe he'd see the value in helping teach a new generation.

Will see if I can get his attention.

• Like 2
  • Truth 1
  • Props 1

4 hours ago, Limeliciouz said:

Arrows arrows arrows arrowsaraowsaraowsaowsraowaarrowsarowsarowsarowsA A A AArrowwwwwwwwwssss everabady watch ma aaaaaaarrrroows yeah 

Yeah, props for putting in the effort, you definitely went all-in on that one. Ha!

It's better to focus on your letters first, then worry about the flair - like arrows and doo-dads. We'll get there. 

• Like 2
  • Truth 1