Toys post here...

swif1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

@GONE.FTS- No one can ever tell you that you don’t do themes. Damn. 

Most of what you posted has some potential. Needs help, but has potential. Kinda the same thing I’ve been saying to Ray and Lime... keep your line weights consistent. That will help tremendously. Also, you’ve got a couple different styles going on and I think you should pick one to concentrate on, nail it, then move to the next. I think you could also benefit from the single letter sketch exercise I mentioned a few posts back. Just practice the letter G over and over again, keeping the line weight consistent throughout the letter. Same with the O, N, and E. 

I don’t got themes, just letters and characters...

D4EAF76C-227D-4EFC-ADF9-9F725152325A.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Truth 1
  • Props 1
  • LOL! 1

@Limeliciouz- Forgot tot say that I really like that last sketch you posted. The soft, rounded feel of that one is really nice. With a two or three-color fade and some breaks over top of that would look really nice. 

Something I noticed in one of your previous sketches but failed to bring up, and something you've probably already tried, is using that serif at the end of the leg of the L as a connection point for a lowercase i. It could help fill in the dead space between the L and M, and eliminate the overlapping. Example below...

LIME_Edit.jpg

• Like 2

@enteruncreativename- Sorry I spaced getting back to you. 

So you've definitely got your own thing going on with the faceted angles and unconventional shadowing, and normally I would tell you to smooth things out and straighten things up, but because I'm all about straight lines and angles (fucking abstract Graffiti art...) I'm interested to see this one play out. 

I've made a few edits to your posted image below - For the most part it was fine but I did open up some of the thinner sections and eliminated the defining line in the B (not needed) to give the overall piece a better read. Also, because with this style the O and D will naturally feel/look similar it's important to distinguish the two from one another so there's no confusion. Make the O feel more "round" while the D has a definitive cuts are the top right and bottom right. Let me know if those edits make sense and how else I can help. 

The one-liner throwie isn't bad, but it could definitely use some tightening up. Kinda hard to show an example using a mouse so when I'm home and can work it out on my tablet, I'll share those thoughts. 

BOARD_Edit.jpg

Edited by Joker
Highlighted the letters I'm speaking about...

30 minutes ago, Joker said:

@enteruncreativename- Sorry I spaced getting back to you. 

So you've definitely got your own thing going on with the faceted angles and unconventional shadowing, and normally I would tell you to smooth things out and straighten things up, but because I'm all about straight lines and angles (fucking abstract Graffiti art...) I'm interested to see this one play out. 

I've made a few edits to your posted image below - For the most part it was fine but I did open up some of the thinner sections and eliminated the defining line in the B (not needed) to give the overall piece a better read. Also, because with this style the O and D will naturally feel/look similar it's important to distinguish the two from one another so there's no confusion. Make the O feel more "round" while the D has a definitive cuts are the top right and bottom right. Let me know if those edits make sense and how else I can help. 

The one-liner throwie isn't bad, but it could definitely use some tightening up. Kinda hard to show an example using a mouse so when I'm home and can work it out on my tablet, I'll share those thoughts. 

BOARD_Edit.jpg

Thanks a lot for making this post.  I have heard that same comment about me having my own abstract style to my letters before and that humors me to hear it again.

The line in the B that I added in was to separate the letter from looking like an 8.  I agree with what you said in defining the D more sharply as compared to the o, I did actually try to make them distinctly in my drawing.

But I do take pride in my one liners.  But this word's lettering is too repetitive for me and I was just bored enough to sketch some new letterings with a test name.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Joker said:

@Limeliciouz- Forgot tot say that I really like that last sketch you posted. The soft, rounded feel of that one is really nice. With a two or three-color fade and some breaks over top of that would look really nice. 

Something I noticed in one of your previous sketches but failed to bring up, and something you've probably already tried, is using that serif at the end of the leg of the L as a connection point for a lowercase i. It could help fill in the dead space between the L and M, and eliminate the overlapping. Example below...

LIME_Edit.jpg

Yup tried it but always came out looking like a u but then again it was with round throwie .... looks intresting to make it into a peice tho imma try that. Yeah it’s deff cleaner the way u did it. 

image.jpg

I looked at the 3d for a while trying to figure out what about the W made it look like it was sitting further forward..... but @Jokernailed it..... you can see that it's actually a bit lower than the other letters.

The slant on the L looked a bit weird because none of the other letters had that kind of angle to them..... they were all vertical bars with the exception of the W, so doing the L with a leaning bar like that looks out of place from the rest of the letters.

edit: sorry I'm replying to a thread I opened days ago and didn't realize it had been days since then. ..... this was in reference to the piece 2 pages ago that had the leaning L and the W that seemed too far forward.

A GOOD tip someone showed me a long time ago is to draw some parallel lines going from the left to the right...... and make the tops an bottoms of your letters fit into those.  That way you have uniform letter height.  If you look at the one Joker did for "GONE" on the last page you can see that the bottom of all the letters kinda sit on a "line" and they all follow it.  This makes for a uniform feel and a pleasing look.

• Like 1

Nice ones @Limeliciouz - these are looking great.

The sketch with the L/I sitting behind the M, and the M behind the E... I think if that overlapping was opposite (meaning E behind M, and M behind L/I) the whole piece would read better. Right now your I is sitting behind the M and it feels too hidden. Maybe leave the E as is but bring that L/I to the front of the M. Small edit, but it'll help. 

Nice work!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Hua Guofang said:

I come for the toys but I stay for the @Joker

so fucking clean, makes me wonder WTF I'm doing even picking up a pen......

LOL! Thanks, man. They're quick sketches but I'm having fun with it. I spend wayyyyyy too much time trying to abstract letters into their simplest forms for my own Graffiti, so these simple-style exercises have been great for keeping my personal letter structure from getting too off the mark. 

1 hour ago, Limeliciouz said:

Done a few but starting to look repetitive 

help me out with this wackass wildstyle antistyle whateva u want

CD783A5D-7646-4EC3-AF32-0FA1EE57DF47.jpeg

I like this but just from a quick view of it I think the M and the E need some work. A bit like this quick touch up I’ve done - 

3734C9FA-A7F4-49EF-B67D-C186FE52A061.jpeg.f2eaaf75da489db5494f1c651e3be3d7.jpeg

im sure @Jokercan provide a better revision of it tho 

CA4ACA46-EF70-43DA-815E-DEB2DDA24287.jpeg

Edited by GONE.FTS

11 hours ago, Limeliciouz said:

Done a few but starting to look repetitive 

help me out with this wackass wildstyle antistyle whateva u want

CD783A5D-7646-4EC3-AF32-0FA1EE57DF47.jpeg

I see what you're going for, but I think even with this concept you're still smushing your letters too close. Again, give 'em just a little breathing room. Also, If you eliminate some of the lines so the letters look like they're wrapping around each other it might work out. See the example below...

LIME_Edit.jpg

• Like 1

@Ray40- For the most part, your simple-style RAY is looking good. Just a few thoughts for you to try:

Your Y is still a wee-bit wonky compared to the R and A. Try not curling up your descender at the bottom but making it shoot toward the A, instead back up into itself. Does that make sense?

Also, if you look at the green line you'll notice that the Y is made up of two bars - on the left is one vertical bar that descends and kicks to the right - on the right is one vertical bar that descends and kicks to the left. Basically the same bar, just one is longer and kicks the opposite direction. Try to keep you line weights the same on each bar, and keep them in line. It looks like you have a tendency to draw the Y in three bars which makes it a bit inconsistent. 

Give that horizontal bar in the A a bit more weight as edited below. It'll feel more in line with the other letters. 

RAY_Edit.jpg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Limeliciouz said:

@Jokerperfect. Save the day again lol. Was mostly wondering if it’s total crap or got some potential.... i think I might make it thicker or something. I dunno I feel like if I wud see someone else do it I wud flip past them and laugh toyyy so hard. I dunno. I’ll work it out. 

It's got some potential, for sure. If you like it - spend some time to work it out. Again, maybe just work on the L and I, first. Draw them intersecting different ways a couple of times. Find the best option. Then do the same with the M and E. Then bring them together. 

• Like 1