Toys post here...

swif1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

@Ray40- see the way @Giantis keeping things simple and aiming to perfect letter structure than try and do a burner? This is the way to learn and improve.

If I was you, I would take the design that @Jokerdid for you and just draw it over and over again until you can do something that looks exactly the same. You should stop trying to 'add style'.

In my opinion, you are already trying to achieve above your abilities and you need to show the discipline required to progress.

Not trying to be a dick to you, just telling it straight.

• Truth 3

23 minutes ago, Giant said:

Some connections  then a simple straight.

image.jpg

That straight is spot on. What I'd be doing now is pick a slight tweak or flow (which could be as simple as a lean or a bend) and add it to the straight. Practice that until it is clean, then add another tweak and continue to build that way. Then, go back to a straight, add a different tweak and build from there.

Beginning with the fundamental letter structure like a straight or simple is the only way to go, it took me 2 years of drawing crap until I learned that lesson when I was a kid. It also allowed me to develop my own style instead of just trying to do what everyone else was doing.

I reckon you're on the right path to locking things down, it's only a matter of practice now.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ray40 said:

I have a question, is my work so bad a crew wouldn’t let me in, and how do you join a crew?  Ready for any answers

3 hours ago, Ray40 said:

Also I was wondering how long it will take to move from straight letters to complicated stuff, also does everyone start a toy

I think if you really listen to what others have told you don’t add style you advance a lot quicker than you are  now. Don’t take the simple piece you’ve been given and add style straight away. Listen and take the elders advice and then you may get taken into a crew but if your drawing bad and they try and help you and you don’t listen then you ain’t gonna be part of that crew long

• Truth 1

@Giant- Loving the effort you're putting in. You're definitely heading  in the right direction. This right here:

1534555513_ScreenShot2019-08-26at8_32_44AM.png.992a9d73d32563e8f92e6ed57dda3412.png

... that is pure gold. It might look like a logo to you, or too simple, but look closer - you've come up with solutions for how to nestle the N into the empty space of the P, and the empty space between the D and O. Seriously... that is what we want. We want these real simple styles to force you to learn the letters and how they work together. Dude - loving this. 

@Ray40- The green piece looks great. Please stick to keeping your letters simple and working them out. As soon as you add 'style' you lose your momentum. One step forward, two steps back. I want you to keep moving forward. 

Try some exercises like PNDOE is working out. Real simple, almost logo-like letter exercises. 

• Like 2
  • Truth 1

On 8/25/2019 at 6:23 AM, Ray40 said:

I have a question, is my work so bad a crew wouldn’t let me in, and how do you join a crew?  Ready for any answers

There isn't a blanket response to this. Is what it is, and it'll happen when it happens. Purpose of a crew for the first many years is to learn and to paint with people you trust. You'll find that eventually, just focus on you and getting better. There's a ton of information that'll get you pretty far, most notably the direct advice you seem to be getting on here. Eventually you'll need to learn to actually paint and not just draw on paper. If you can link up with other people, they might let you watch and you'll pick up a few things, but mostly you'll learn by doing. Unsure how you'll manage the paint, but once you get some decent paint and an assortment of tips, finding a mellow place with a fairly smooth, primed wall and just practice filling in shapes, outlining shapes and later moving on to blends, you'll pick it up. Really the quality and diversity of paint these days makes it so just about anyone can paint a solid fill without a drippy mess.

On 8/25/2019 at 6:42 AM, Ray40 said:

Also I was wondering how long it will take to move from straight letters to complicated stuff, also does everyone start a toy

If you're lucky, you'll link up with some kids that know how to paint. If they're smart, they'll have you fill in backgrounds before moving on to fill in their pieces. Ince you're doing that pretty well, they'll maybe put your name up on a wall and if you stick with it, they'll eventually help you paint your piece. Eventually you'll have a few of those under your belt and have enough experience that you can put your own piece up on a wall without embarrassing the guys painting next to you. Once you have a piece that starts to stand on its own, you'll get invited into crews.

Other path is you just keep painting solo until you're good. Then maybe change your name and roll out good pieces over night with that new name.

Thanks so much, now I understand how far I will need to go, I do mostly tags so far so I am painting a little, mostly with markers and some spray paint so I am starting a little but I will look for a chill spot to do a piece, thanks again for the advice, I will work on it 

22 hours ago, Fist 666 said:

@Ray40  @Giant

I hope you guys appreciate who  @Jokeris and realize the significance of a guy like that taking the time to even acknowledge you. I woulda shit my pants with joy when I was at your level if that had happened.

I appreciate that, sir. Compared to a lot of well-known writers in our culture, I'm just another fly on the wall. That said, mentors are lacking and people coming up genuinely want guidance, so I figured why not offer it. Most feedback these folks get is negative with no direction on how to improve so if we can take a second and offer real feedback - it's worth the time. Even if only 1 out of 10 gets something from our feedback, it's worth it. 

• Like 5
  • Props 1

On 8/29/2019 at 2:27 AM, Fist 666 said:

@Ray40  @Giant

I hope you guys appreciate who  @Jokeris and realize the significance of a guy like that taking the time to even acknowledge you. I woulda shit my pants with joy when I was at your level if that had happened.

This is truth.

Out of all the folk that have graced the pages of 12OZ over the years, which has seen some of the greats (lol, and Cope2...), I rate Joker and Beardo as the most talented in terms of style, tech skill and straight up being able to sketch. listening to him is one of the reasons I'm hanging out in the toy thread, I've been at this stuff for 35 years and I can still learn from him!

• Like 2
  • Props 1

12 hours ago, Hua Guofang said:

This is truth.

Out of all the folk that have graced the pages of 12OZ over the years, which has seen some of the greats (lol, and Cope2...), I rate Joker and Beardo as the most talented in terms of style, tech skill and straight up being able to sketch. listening to him is one of the reasons I'm hanging out in the toy thread, I've been at this stuff for 35 years and I can still learn from him!

Thank you for the kind words, much appreciated. Beardo is... well, in a word, unbelievable. His ability to loosely sketch unique letters that flow from one to the other in an indescribable way is unparalleled. I've never seen his equal when it comes to this. I only wish he was still at it. His simples are damn good as well. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Decyferon said:

I've tried to suggest to a few young local writers to check in here

Please do.

I think having more writers seeking advice and/or direction is how I want this thread to evolve. I know that means they have to put themselves on the chopping block, which isn't popular in a culture that is designed ot knock you down, but as mentioned several times before... a thick skin is required just to get started in this game. We've all been... let's say, challenged... by writers better than us but honestly the idea is to motivate. And that's what I want to do with this thread - motivate toys and writers coming up who are genuinely looking for advice. 

• Like 4

Ima post some sketches here for crits to then ? I don't wanna flodthe other one with my shit  .

Here some shit I'm on right now trying to take in what you said befor but I feel this b still flows like a r  i can't escape it lol i also not feeling the extra bar on the e idk its not right and i cant figure it out 

20190830_121234.jpg

20 hours ago, Hua Guofang said:

This is truth.

Also... you know what you're doing 😉 You've got plenty of talent, yourself. 

4 hours ago, Ghost_In_The_City said:

Are talking about Joker from the Bay Area..? That guy is like that with everyone.

I think you're talking about Joker ICP. Our styles are quite different so there's never been a need to get uppity about it. He and I starting writing the name around the same time, me on the east coast, him on the west, so I never heard of him, he never heard of me. Current day - he does his thing quite well, and I do mine. We've exchanged props a couple of times so I assume he's fine with me continuing to use the name as I am of him.