Toys post here...

swif1

Ray just listen to joker!!! He’s given you the perfect basic letters to start from.

EVERYONE on this Forum has told you to listen to jokers advise and others but you still asking for other letter styles. 

Can you draw that basic in your sleep? No.

so you were told to keep drawing until you could draw it without even thinking. If you don’t listen bro the help will fade away. 

Edited by Giant

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Imma say ray that u shud stick to that outline bc it’s simple. Iv spent hrs working on key areas of the letters and simples. The point isn’t to do it hundreds of times. That’s only if u want to get a flow. The point is to understand why the letters fit together. Practice your bars. Study the alphabet. Meditate on your keyboard. And keep the fire burning cause it gets difficult. 

And @Giant be nice u don’t wanna discourage someone just cause they’re enthusiastic. It can be hard to buckle down. We were all there. I’m not quite past there at all yet myself. But @Ray40 I agree with him u wanna be like the big guys this is the steps to do it. We are literally showing u the way. It’s just sitting down at a desk in ur free time everyday working something u love to get good at it. U wanna do that go do it. If u don’t or not feeling ready to do so I also suggest not to post work again because as giant said u will be a bother and be ignored. Follow in the footsteps of the masters and create a new path to a greater destination. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Ray40 said:

Thanks lime that’s really helpful, I wish I could just listen but I keep trying to do complex stuff when I can’t and it looks like garbage

Ik I found it really hard to and I was so discouraged. Stopped for like half a year. Ur really lucky to start when ur this young I’m not much older then u but I started like a year or two ago and I wish I was more serious then as I am now. Would be so much farther now. It is a thrill. Definitely. But get over that buckle down and get started. 

19 hours ago, STEEZED said:

Old stuff I did while deployed and some that I did recently trying to get back into it. Any feedback is helpful. I never did get to where I wanted to be.

image.jpg

For me, this piece has the most potential out of the ones you posted. The sketch looks like a "I'm committing to this line no matter what" pen sketch, which is commendable, and some would argue the only way to learn... I'm more of a pencil sketch person when I'm learning, though. I'm not sure what is going on at the bottom right of the Z - those little squiggly lines - but I think without those and without the squiggle coming off the bottom of the S, you've got something of a good start. 

1. I'm gonna start with the crown at the top. I'm old school so my view on this is relative to what I was taught and was commonplace at the time, so take this feedback however you want - but don't use a crown. Not until you're All-city with the most tags, most throw-ups, most burners, most style, and have been told you are a king of your city by your peers. Crowns are seldom given nowadays and therefore should be reserved for those who have earned them. Yeah, I know, they're cool and round out a piece or tag, but there's history in our culture and that history has the last say in how things iconic as a crown are to be used. Please don't take offense to this bit of feedback, it's my personal point of view but it's in line with the majority of people in our culture.

2. I don't think you need the beefy bottom to the T. Your other letters are fairly simple in their design so I would keep you T as such. The piece will feel more cohesive if you keep your letters similar in their structure and design. 

3. The arrowhead at the bottom of the double E section - same here as mentioned above. Keep your letters similar in design for a stronger overall appearance. I know, I know... "everyone has their own arrow" but since you're still getting your feet with this try to stick to a more simple flow with your letters and once you get them solid you can start adding arrows, bars, bits, connections, etc. 

4. Those dashed line areas where the S meets the T and T meets the E - I'd say for now you should keep your letters as their own letter. Son't don't connect them to one another just yet. 

I think what I like about this piece more than the others is the overall shape, and overall flow of it. The Z feels a little larger in its weight compared to all the other letters, which isn't a bad thing but I feel like it should have the same weight as the S. I dig the double E being slightly smaller, too. Nice touch. 

You had another piece you posted that is a pencil sketch with a tilted to the right lowercase E... yeah, love that. A double tilted lowercase E section is always a crowd pleaser. Think about how awesome SEEN's double Es always were - most of the time they were identical, and even when they were simple they had more style than anything else on that train. 

• Truth 1

37 minutes ago, Joker said:

For me, this piece has the most potential out of the ones you posted. The sketch looks like a "I'm committing to this line no matter what" pen sketch, which is commendable, and some would argue the only way to learn... I'm more of a pencil sketch person when I'm learning, though. I'm not sure what is going on at the bottom right of the Z - those little squiggly lines - but I think without those and without the squiggle coming off the bottom of the S, you've got something of a good start. 

1. I'm gonna start with the crown at the top. I'm old school so my view on this is relative to what I was taught and was commonplace at the time, so take this feedback however you want - but don't use a crown. Not until you're All-city with the most tags, most throw-ups, most burners, most style, and have been told you are a king of your city by your peers. Crowns are seldom given nowadays and therefore should be reserved for those who have earned them. Yeah, I know, they're cool and round out a piece or tag, but there's history in our culture and that history has the last say in how things iconic as a crown are to be used. Please don't take offense to this bit of feedback, it's my personal point of view but it's in line with the majority of people in our culture.

2. I don't think you need the beefy bottom to the T. Your other letters are fairly simple in their design so I would keep you T as such. The piece will feel more cohesive if you keep your letters similar in their structure and design. 

3. The arrowhead at the bottom of the double E section - same here as mentioned above. Keep your letters similar in design for a stronger overall appearance. I know, I know... "everyone has their own arrow" but since you're still getting your feet with this try to stick to a more simple flow with your letters and once you get them solid you can start adding arrows, bars, bits, connections, etc. 

4. Those dashed line areas where the S meets the T and T meets the E - I'd say for now you should keep your letters as their own letter. Son't don't connect them to one another just yet. 

I think what I like about this piece more than the others is the overall shape, and overall flow of it. The Z feels a little larger in its weight compared to all the other letters, which isn't a bad thing but I feel like it should have the same weight as the S. I dig the double E being slightly smaller, too. Nice touch. 

You had another piece you posted that is a pencil sketch with a tilted to the right lowercase E... yeah, love that. A double tilted lowercase E section is always a crowd pleaser. Think about how awesome SEEN's double Es always were - most of the time they were identical, and even when they were simple they had more style than anything else on that train. 

692F1366-8B60-41C1-B8E9-73B5D12F2A81.jpeg

• Like 2

Yeah... kinda. The piece I quoted from your original post had more flow to it. The one you just posted is kind of a straight letter, which is great, but I liked how you made the double-E slightly smaller than the other letters. I like the weight similarities in the new sketch, though. 

The image below is more of what I was thinking. Take it and use it as a guide. Take your time sketching the letters out, don't rush, maybe even do them over and over again, letter by letter. Like, draw the S a bunch of times on the same page, then go to the next page and draw the T over and over, and repeat for each letter. Get a feel for each letter on their own. Then pick your best letter from each page and put them together. Cruddy project but it's a great exercise for learning letters. 

STEEZ_01.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Giant said:

Inked the outline feeling good about this one. Just hope I don’t mess this one up colouring like the last one. The purple was too dark couldn’t see the outline so used white to try and recover but wasn’t happy

E54941DA-4214-4540-91F1-E650225AD1B4.jpeg

1E040E07-F96E-494F-9744-999038606A41.jpeg

The colored Sketch:

I think if you painted it that way you'd find that the dark purple works really well, mostly because whatever light color you use to outline the piece is going to make the darker color pop. However, when using markers to fill in sketches - the darker the color the harder it is to work with. Generally, darker colors are for background splashes or bubbles, outlines, etc. Once you learn your markers you can shift this learning on its head and make it work but until then I would keep your color choices for blackbooks to the lighter side. Learn how your markers work, how to blend colors, working really quickly, all that. Hard to show or explain on a forum but hopefully you get the point. 

The pencil sketch:

Really nice progression on this one! That P, D, and the O are really working well together. At the top and bottom of the O you have some curved lines to indicate a rounded shape but I don't think you need them. I think it'll feel better without those and you'll still feel that it's an O. 

The only part that's not working for me is the N. The letter itself is pretty good, but I don't think it works with the other letters. Like, the P, D, and O all have the same feel but the N is sharper and jagged in comparison. I think if your left and right bars were curved and tapered like your P and D - the N would feel more in line. Super small change to the N overall but it might tighten up the sketch overall. Literally four small lines - see my edit below. 

What do you think?

PNDO_Edit.jpg

Edited by Joker
  • Like 1

@Ray40iv been drawing on and off for years. But I never had anyone to look too when I got stuck or frustrated so I’d just put my pen down and leave it then 2-3 years go by and you try again etc etc. Now I have applied myself to learning the basics and help from joker and everyone else has helped me improve a hell of a lot. I’m not part of a crew as I don’t know anyone around me that’s in a crew. The only people iv met that graff are when iv gone to graffiti stores but they are well established writers. But I’m of an older age now so if I go and paint I go on my own but I work full time and have a family so spare time for myself is a rarity. 

You said you you are in your early teens right? Perfect time to apply yourself. If you spend time listening and looking at other people look at their progression, study the changes they have made to make their piece look better then look at yours see if them changes also work for your letter whether it be closing space, widening or lengthening bars. But most of all listen to the advice of the elders, they have been where you are and have had the struggles you have had. So their advice is the key to progression. Literally draw jokers outline over and over and over until it looks as good as the original every time you draw it. Then the world is your oyster because you have then learnt your basic letter structure. You can start to manipulate your letters in a way they you can still see the structure. This will also be a difficult stage but if you keep pushing like you did to learn your basics you will get there! 

Sorry for for the long ass messege. 

Haha

• Like 1

What up 12oz

Im a toy with a couple of question and in need for critcal advice. Ive been following this thread for 1 week now and id like to thank Joker  (and the others) VERY MUCH for still sticking around and helping us toys with great advice even though this forum is not as active as it used to be (sadly) 

I really like the advice u guys give and because im kinda struggling ive decided to make an account and ask a couple of questions.

Ive peen painting on paper for a bit and i think this pictures is the best ive drawn.

So i really love this name, but with the time i struggle to draw nice (more then basic) B's that look good because i feel like there is only so much u can do with a B. Ive seen many pics (mainly on nitro combis tumblr) and ive noticed that many writers dont have a B in their name and if they do it looks basic. This is not a problem per se bcz not every letter needs to look super special. But the thing is that my name consists of 2 Bs and one O so i feel like i cant do anything more than basic with this name and im kinda stuck. 

Thats mainly why im here. Maybe u will just tell me i need to get better and tbh im kinda thinking the same. But at the same time im thinking, why make it harder than it already is. u feel me?

I thought about drawing Herby (is that a good name?) and if it sucks maybe you guys could give me some knowledge what makes a good name that flows well. Ive searched on reddit and other websites about the 101s of name choosing but i couldnt get a good guide. 

Anyway, thanks again so much Joker and all the others for helping us out. We all really appreciate it.

Also, excuse any mistakes i made. Im not a native speaker but youll hopefully understand me.

7cimzwkhs5m31.jpg

Edited by billoboy2020
  • Like 1