INK RECIPE SUPERTHREAD

rubbish heap

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

You've come across the hard truth... There is no such thing as unbuffable ink. Any ink that you make can be buffed with whatever base your ink consists of... that's just how it works.

But, there are other ways to increase the staining ability of your ink. First, you could just add more pens to your mix. Maybe the ratio you're using is too thin. You can tell the thickness of your ink by the color. A light purple is very light. A solid purple is medium. A seemingly black ink with a purplish tint to it is strongest a simple pen ink mix can be.

A more elaborate way of making your ink thicker would be to heat it up and add more pens. The ink will dissolve quicker into the ink, and some of the base of your ink will evaporate, making an even thicker and more concentrated ink.

A more professional way to increase the staining power of your ink is to do what great ink creators like DED and Oink do. They take stainers like Gentian Violet and Methylene Blue (in the powder forms) and add them to their inks in a fairly elaborate process. They also do a number of other things to their ink that I know nothing about, or else I'd be making ink like theirs and getting rich off of it.

What I suggest you do is buy Pilot ink and add it to your mix. Pilot black is a great, black, cheap ink that stains hard and will make your ink mix a lot better. If you thicken your current mix and add Pilot, you should notice a huge difference. You can pick Pilot ink up at most arts and crafts stores.

You've come across the hard truth... There is no such thing as unbuffable ink. Any ink that you make can be buffed with whatever base your ink consists of... that's just how it works.

But, there are other ways to increase the staining ability of your ink. First, you could just add more pens to your mix. Maybe the ratio you're using is too thin. You can tell the thickness of your ink by the color. A light purple is very light. A solid purple is medium. A seemingly black ink with a purplish tint to it is strongest a simple pen ink mix can be.

A more elaborate way of making your ink thicker would be to heat it up and add more pens. The ink will dissolve quicker into the ink, and some of the base of your ink will evaporate, making an even thicker and more concentrated ink.

A more professional way to increase the staining power of your ink is to do what great ink creators like DED and Oink do. They take stainers like Gentian Violet and Methylene Blue (in the powder forms) and add them to their inks in a fairly elaborate process. They also do a number of other things to their ink that I know nothing about, or else I'd be making ink like theirs and getting rich off of it.

What I suggest you do is buy Pilot ink and add it to your mix. Pilot black is a great, black, cheap ink that stains hard and will make your ink mix a lot better. If you thicken your current mix and add Pilot, you should notice a huge difference. You can pick Pilot ink up at most arts and crafts stores.

aight thanks man. where can i get the gentain vileot and methylene blue from, and what ratio should i use with them?

Okay...

I know alot of things have been said before, and yes, i did read alot of this thread allready, and searched within this thread for help on my "problem". Also, my English sucks ass, it's not my 1st or my 2nd language. However, advice is needed.

I have about 50 new toners for printers. I cracked a few open and collected the powder. The best thing i can get my hands on right now to mix it with is nailpolish remover. It does NOT have aceton in it, it consists of ethyl acetate, alcohol and water.

someone said " it has to have a copolymer base in the toner". How to figure out if i got the right toner? The box does not say anything about ingredients. All the toners are for canon and HP machines, most of them are originals. I got so many i really want to use it for something.

I have been mixing the toner with the nailpolish remover, and it seems to blend very well. However, it's not really dark, like it needs more toner.

My question: Could this be because i need some other stuff to mix it with, or because i didn't add enough toner? Or something else? someone in this thread said "also a cartridge of toner should make out about a gallon of ink." I believe a gallon is about 2,5 liters.... i can't make a liter of good ink from 3 toners. I think i'm fucking shit up.

Another question:

Any idea what kinda ink this is? I got a few bottles from a friend, and it stains very well.

4391532475ba1a076800b.th.jpg

The only one i am not happy with is the black ink, so i am thinking about putting some toner with it to make it more black. It smells so toxic i am not sure if it's alcohol based. It sure as hell isn't oil based. Any help here?

Oh and one more thing.

I have bought all kinds of ink... from corio to krink to grog, mrBlack. I must say this is by far the most black ink i have ever used. I don't know about buffing... but it is black as hell and stay like that in the sun. Thinck, and has good drips. Good one, but shit expensive. like 18euro for 250ml, in the country next to where it's made. You can add alcohol and thin it up 33% without shit getting too dippy, and it's still very black and sun-proof.

http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/8972/4391565413de16e17834b.jpg

• Like 1

Toners are mixed with Polymers. (symilar to PVA and ones in acrylic paint)..

ive had troubles with these in the past. but the pigments are quite decent.

Take your toner..

take a miture of 1/5 alcohol to 4/5 water..

mix it as best as you can.. and microwave.. ionising and heating till all moisture is gone.. repeat this twice.. then there you go. usable.

• 4 weeks later...

BUMP. :p

Alright so i bought some

Pilot ink (it said 'refill, for marking pens only, not for fountain pen use)

KIWI Leather (it didn't say Leather dye or anything, just Leather)

So i mixed that up and put it into my mop.

It turned up nice and thick, so i tried adding some rubbing alcohol to make it thinner. Then it turned out too thin. And then by then, i noticed the ink i made in my jar was thickening up, so i added some alcohol to it.

But it just kept thickening. Now my ink is just sludgy. =|

i tried shaking it up and mixing it around, but nothing worked; it just flowed off the sides of the jar in masses. (no stain)

any ideas?

thanks

Kiwi polish sucks. Get some fiebings.

where i live we dont have that. =|

...to the guy asking about the pilol/kiwi

its because the pilot is xylene based and kiwi is water

when you mixed it it congeled

thanks for the info man. (Y)

so what should i do then to make my own ink? :confused:

where i live we dont have that. =|

thanks for the info man. (Y)

so what should i do then to make my own ink? :confused:

To make your own. Either

Get a shitload of pens and some rubbing alcohol or pvc primer.

or

Get a little can of rusto oil based paint or tremclad if your from canada then thin it down with paint thinner, pvc primer, or wood hardener.

Add some shellac for shine. Some gentian violet for stain. And carbon powder with some shellac for more shine and to make it fade resistant.

Little recipe of mine

100mL of Red Grog

50mL of Blue Grog

25mL of Black Oink

25mL of Garvey Violet

70mL of Shellac Clear

40mL of Carbon Powder

50mL of Wood Hardener

Shit doesn't fade and stains hard. 4 layers of Osh White spraypaint

d288e901.jpg11358b78.jpg

y dont u get some oil based primer called cover stain..takes out ne ink..