INK RECIPE SUPERTHREAD

rubbish heap

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Search this thread, there are some ink recipes.

Hint: It starts with about a million bic pens.

mmm thanks!

To make your own. Either

Get a shitload of pens and some rubbing alcohol or pvc primer.

or

Get a little can of rusto oil based paint or tremclad if your from canada then thin it down with paint thinner, pvc primer, or wood hardener.

Add some shellac for shine. Some gentian violet for stain. And carbon powder with some shellac for more shine and to make it fade resistant.

thanks for that too!

:) :thumbsup: <-- hmmm that didn'r work. =|

anyway, is charcoal dust and charcoal powder essentially the same thing?

To make your own. Either

Get a shitload of pens and some rubbing alcohol or pvc primer.

or

Get a little can of rusto oil based paint or tremclad if your from canada then thin it down with paint thinner, pvc primer, or wood hardener.

Add some shellac for shine. Some gentian violet for stain. And carbon powder with some shellac for more shine and to make it fade resistant.

haha

your listening to the stuff i told you on bombing science

good job and keep it up

while reading the thread i came across this.

...xylene itself as a very fast drying time.

acetone is a no go for some pen types. it partially dissolves the plastic casing and you end up with black ink that seems grainy and wont stick to things.

once again, SOME brands of pens. the same goes for methyl ethyl ketone. these two chemicals are made for dissolving polymers and resins. acetone is used mostly for "cleaning" certain chemicals, but i find it to do the most good in binding two chemicals that normally wouldnt bond in a solution.

also, xylene is about the slowest drying solvent you can use in the paint world. says so right on the back of the tin.

be seeing you.

That's so true. I've had it happen to me (the grainy, black ink). I suppose it's the downside of using acetone as a base. Also, the trouble with xylene that it really warps certain plastics. It works dope in metal though, i.e., decos.

yeahnation what did you refer to when you said 'that's so true'?

im just asking this to clear up the issue on xylene drying time.

(i couldn't really find anything on google.)

reference: page 372

Little recipe of mine

100mL of Red Grog

50mL of Blue Grog

25mL of Black Oink

25mL of Garvey Violet

70mL of Shellac Clear

40mL of Carbon Powder

50mL of Wood Hardener

Shit doesn't fade and stains hard. 4 layers of Osh White spraypaint

d288e901.jpg11358b78.jpg

If you really want to prove how much it bleeds through, why don't you used four coats of actual paint instead of just spraypaint? Because, I'll be honest, this little recipe of "yours" seriously is mostly just a mix of inks that people who have put in a lot of work made for people like you.

What I don't understand is why you feel the need to make an ink like Oink "better" by adding all this shit to it. Don't you think the guy who makes the ink makes it the way he does for a good reason? It's supposed to be the way it is... You don't need to add wood hardener or anything else to make it stain harder.

jesus...

calm down

he said it was his mix

not ink

oink isnt that great tho

it wiped right off with xylene

This is what I'm telling you guys... There is no such thing as an unbuffable ink. So instead of wasting all your time and effort (and sometimes money) by putting all these different things together, you should be saving yourself from all of that, and just being smarter about it all. Simpler is almost always better in the world of inks.

Haha making your own ink isn't that easy is it?

charcoal? Never heard of that method, only the purple carbon sheets.

Now do as your Mom said and stop making charcoal powder/dust, you'll blow yourself up.

yeah i think i would.

try searching around here... some use it as a pigment or thickening thing or something.

Did a search of this thread first. Anyone tried or used Shiny or IDeal stamp inks? Some are oil based...

I can get offset inks which are oil based, so i assume like ballpoint pens I can just thin with alcohol and apply?

Just a note: Kiwi Leather Dye does not mix with Marsh, it just forms pockets that float on top of the Marsh and if you then try to mix Garvey in it will make the Kiwi solidify. It's exactly akin to a cement mixer, its like it curdles it.