Pass the Corona ese... Novel Corona aka COVID-19

abrasivesaint

News surfacing that incubation period might be up to 1 month long and that you can be infected more than once.

Mass infections turning up in ROK and Iran.

Honestly, I think all bets are now off. I'm not lying when I say that tomorrow morning I start to stock up on relevant items.

The real risk is the panic.

• Like 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

@Hua GuofangYeah man, this is proving itself to be a far different animal than we've seen before. I'm not yet worried for me personally, but it seems unpredictable about what the next month looks like globally. 

I haven't seen the multiple infections detail--wondering how much that is affecting vaccine development? Yikes. 

Coronavirus: 'Narrowing window' to contain outbreak, WHO says

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-51591091

5 hours ago, Hua Guofang said:

News surfacing that incubation period might be up to 1 month long and that you can be infected more than once.

Mass infections turning up in ROK and Iran.

Honestly, I think all bets are now off. I'm not lying when I say that tomorrow morning I start to stock up on relevant items.

The real risk is the panic.

Ammo and shelf stable food?

6 hours ago, misteraven said:

Ammo and shelf stable food?

Food, water, iodine, filters, radio, portable solar panel, tarps, tie wire, screws, diarrhea tabs, disinfectant, etc.

It's a very low likelihood outcome but high consequence/impact. In Australia we can just shut the borders, but it's the public reaction that's the worry. Panic can come fast and make a real mess of things.

Other than Mercer's post and something I read this morning, this is the third time I am beginning to notice a common denominator.

https://nypost.com/2020/02/22/dont-buy-chinas-story-the-coronavirus-may-have-leaked-from-a-lab/amp/

Fact check nypost anyone?

@Hua Guofang

I hope the best for your Family and Friends and one can only hope they do not become effected.  God Speed to a strong immune system. 

1 hour ago, ndv said:

Other than Mercer's post and something I read this morning, this is the third time I am beginning to notice a common denominator.

https://nypost.com/2020/02/22/dont-buy-chinas-story-the-coronavirus-may-have-leaked-from-a-lab/amp/

Fact check nypost anyone?

@Hua Guofang

I hope the best for your Family and Friends and one can only hope they do not become effected.  God Speed to a strong immune system. 

That story has been going around since Dec 2019.

1 - nobody knows where it started yet

2 - it's possible it came from the lab in Wuhan but there is no evidence to support it

3 - there is evidence to support that it came from the wet market in Wuhan as the vast majority of the first people diagnosed with the virus either worked at the market or had recently been there. Secondly, we know that zoonotic infections like this have come from similar wet markets in China and animals that were also being sold in Wuhan (SARS Civets).

4 - some Chinese propaganda outlets are trying to shift the narrative to convince people that this came from the US. There is a stupid internet rumour going around that this was an American lab that had set up in China and secretly released the virus to attack China. Beijing seems to be trying to perpetuate that rumour to reduce and divert the heat that they are copping for fucking things up so badly.

If it starts moving uncontrolled in the cities you live in, wash/sanitise your hands constantly, wear a mask, don't touch the mask - if you do, sanitise your hands. Avoid areas where people congregate and do not buy into the panic.

• Props 1

On 2/23/2020 at 9:37 AM, Hua Guofang said:

It's a very low likelihood outcome but high consequence/impact. In Australia we can just shut the borders, but it's the public reaction that's the worry. Panic can come fast and make a real mess of things.

it's funny because I had this thought about 3 weeks ago.

I asked myself what if tomorrow they said "stay in your homes blah blah blah for next 14 days" or something weird like that and imagined the chaos.

Went and bought a big bunch of long life foods and tins etc.

got to the checkout and the lady was like "prepping for doomsday?"

lol, I deliberately went to the self serve aisle and paid cash.

First phase is when uncontrolled infections are detected outside of China, which has occurred in Iran, Italy and Korea. So on the weekend I bought stuff that was less expensive and will gradually get used in time so I'm not needlessly wasting money - some tinned food, toothpaste, peroxide, bulk dry noodles, bugoff, waterproof plastic bags, tie wire, cigarette lighters first aid stuff (diarrhea tabs, dressings, tape, worm tabs, betadine, saline, rehyd crystals, tape, sanitiser). Already have HDPE cubes for water, tent, bush mattress and other related bush kit.

Second phase will be if it spreads uncontrolled in the Mid East/India/Eastern Europe or Africa/South America. Then I buy portable solar panels, rechargers and batteries, appropriate radio, more food, petrol, new cold weather clothing for family, powdered milk, binoculars, steritabs, filters, distillation kit, etc.

Third phase is if developed countries begin closing borders. That's when I take the family camping for a while to see how this part of the country reacts.

I cannot see it getting past second phase. I think people will take China's lead and just lock themselves in doors and this will slow the spread giving the vaccine time to catch up. If panic does break out we will be fine and will overcome it.

On 2/22/2020 at 4:07 PM, Hua Guofang said:

Food, water, iodine, filters, radio, portable solar panel, tarps, tie wire, screws, diarrhea tabs, disinfectant, etc.

Was kidding (mostly).

As I've stated in other threads / discussions, people don't think twice about buying other types of insurance that are vastly more expensive. Find it weird some people will balk at having some basics at home / car / pack that are a one time purchase and generally pretty cheap in the long run. Can't prepare for everything, but pretty no brainer to have the ability to purify / store water, general first aid supplies and practical shit like tarps, wire or even particulate masks.

Since you're pretty informed on Asian stuff, perhaps you can remember or even speak on how the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster was downplayed by media until it could no longer be so. At least in terms of the USA media, I remember having specific conversations with friends about how situations like that aren't considered out of control, right up until they are. That the radius for evacuation was hugely downplayed initially, it's impact on the environment was downplayed, etc. I remember conversations from people saying that it was stupid to run out and stock Potassium Iodide because if it was ever needed, the government had plenty on hand and would make sure you got some. Then we saw how it it was the usual cluster fuck government response. These used to cost a few dollars back before that even and are still way more expensive ever since, but the $15 or so is money well spent in my mind, versus hoping to the government comes through. Even if they did, imagine the shit show the distribution of it would be during such a scenario. Again, not really standard kit and not that you can prepare for everything, but considering a huge swath of the USA is paying up above $700 a month for health insurance they might rarely, if ever use, seems retarded to me to now have a solid emergency kit at home and in your car and to set aside a little money to replace the stuff that might expire every could years. Sure as fuck beats trying to track down an N95 mask (or better) only to find that they're sold out everywhere (even out here) or suddenly selling at 10x+ the usual cost.

Anyhow, its all paranoid right up until its not.

• Like 1

A bit concerned about the credibility of the person that wrote that book, @misteravenI can't find anything to say who the person actually is (that's a pen name) or anything to convince me that this book is not full of misleading information that could make the situation worse.

Given that the people at the tip of the spear are "remaining very humble" about what the know of this virus, given how novel it is, I'm skeptical that a 245 page book can be written on it by some one who is not at the frontline working on the response.

I could be wrong, I hope I am. But it looks like some one who's thrown something together to make a quick buck. I'd avoid reading books like that for the time being and focus more on what is coming out from WHO and qualified folk/organisations that are putting out a lot of information every day. This is where social media comes in handy as you can track the relevant players closely.

@misteraven

Here is another example of an unqualified person causing harm by talking about things they don't understand.

Rush Limbaugh:

The problem with what this moron is saying is that a virus can have a low mortality rate and still kill lots of people. The Spanish flu killed 50 million people and only had a mortality rate of 2.5%.

It's not just about how easily it kills but how fast/easy it spreads and COVID-19 is extremely virulent. It can transmit in aerosol form and you can be contagious for up to two weeks without exhibiting symptoms. So those thermal scanners at airports can miss infected and contagious people.

The threat with spreading bullshit like this is that preparation for an outbreak is pivotal in importance. There is the start of a pandemic that has the potential to kill millions, why the fuck would you tray and act the smart/tough guy and tell people to ignore it?

If Tucker Carlson is so concerned about the impact of Corona on the US, I wonder why he didn't point out America's reduced ability to deal with a pandemic.

In May 2018, Trump shut down the National Security council's entire global health security unit, calling for reassignment of Rear Adm. Timothy Ziemer and dissolution of his team inside the agency. The month before, then-White House National Security Advisor John Bolton organised for Ziemer’s Dept of Homeland Security counterpart, Tom Bossert, to resign along with his team. Neither the NSC nor DHS epidemic teams have been replaced. The global health section of the Centre for Disease Control had their budget cut and went from working in 49 countries around the world to only 10. The Trump administration also plans to cut the U.S. Public Health Service Commissioned Corps by 40 percent.

The United States is less prepared to deal with this outbreak due to the restructuring of the national security community by the current administration. Is it censorship by ommission that Tucker didn't mention any of this, even if to inform his viewers of the situation so they could make their own minds up as to whether these cuts mattered or not?

21 minutes ago, Kults said:

i may very well be proven wrong but i still dont buy that its gonna be some worldwide pandemic

not fussed yet

It's one of the central risks in epidemic/pandemic responses - howcurrent reponses impact future outbreaks.

You send out the warning signals, communicate the seriousness of the risks and mobilise the masses. This helps keep the outbreak at bay and the world is safe. Then the community gets annoyed and says "what was all the fuss about, nothing happened" and become complacent when the next warning comes up. This is precisely what happened with H1N1. People don't realise how many people actually died from that outbreak and it was precisely the ramped up response that stopped it from becoming a pandemic. People also didn't realise that the Spanish Flu that killed 50 million was H1N1.

Not saying that's what you're doing here @Kultsit's just one of the connected challenges that confronts policy makers in dealing with pandemic response. For me, this is serious, not so much in the virus itself but in the social response to it. Will there be panic, will govts mishandle the situation, will that lead to less trust in institutions, how will it impact the economy, etc.

@Hua GuofangThe first post sounds like whining about the USA not carrying the weight for other country's health issues.  Why is the world dealing with China's bullshit right now?  Because that's what we're doing, we're dealing with their bullshit that they cannot contain because of their poor medical systems and inability to man the fuck up and seal people within it's borders.  They won't do it because it's a "matter of pride" for them, so they act like "nothing big is going on, we've got it under control".  Hand waving politics.

There already is panic, the government already is "mishandling" the situation by not closing our borders.  Of course there are people that think we shouldn't have borders, we should all carry the burden of the problems faced in other countries that haven't done the work to get to where the USA is as a nation.  The economy is already impacted, the stock market has fallen in the recent days due to the news of outbreaks.  Yeah yeah, fuck the stock market and the wall street millionaires that support our country with their businesses.... I know.... I know. /s

This isn't about "America's reduced ability to deal with a pandemic".... while you're pointing fingers.  It's about China's inability to fix and control their broken shit.

• Like 1
  • Truth 1

56 minutes ago, Dirty_habiT said:

@Hua GuofangThe first post sounds like whining about the USA not carrying the weight for other country's health issues.  Why is the world dealing with China's bullshit right now?  Because that's what we're doing, we're dealing with their bullshit that they cannot contain because of their poor medical systems and inability to man the fuck up and seal people within it's borders.  They won't do it because it's a "matter of pride" for them, so they act like "nothing big is going on, we've got it under control".  Hand waving politics.

There already is panic, the government already is "mishandling" the situation by not closing our borders.  Of course there are people that think we shouldn't have borders, we should all carry the burden of the problems faced in other countries that haven't done the work to get to where the USA is as a nation.  The economy is already impacted, the stock market has fallen in the recent days due to the news of outbreaks.  Yeah yeah, fuck the stock market and the wall street millionaires that support our country with their businesses.... I know.... I know. /s

This isn't about "America's reduced ability to deal with a pandemic".... while you're pointing fingers.  It's about China's inability to fix and control their broken shit.

Having CDC folk working in other countries isn't about helping other countries, it's about having US teams positioned throughout the world that collect information, train in other environments, do research/testing that informs the CDC, DHS, etc. This protects US citizens in America. Awareness of risks and the capabilities to deal with them protects American lives in America.

Who cares why you're dealing with China's bullshit? You don't have any choice but to deal with it. Yes, China screwed the pooch. Now what? Pointing fingers at other country's failures is not going to keep America safe in the middle of a pandemic.

All I'm saying is that the US is now less prepared to defend itself and it's people from a global outbreak because the Trump admin has shut down large parts of the govt set up to manage these risks. If Tucker Carlson is so concerned about the impact of the virus to the US, why do you think that he did not mention that in his report? That would seem like a case of censorship by omission given that Carlson and Fox seem so pro-Trump.

You go from "fox is MSM to not be trusted" to "they didn't report what I think they should have reported".  I don't need to erect a defense for Tucker Carlson's video clip just because he didn't talk about what you, the apparent authority on Earth, thought he should have right then.  I'm sure you can find the information you think was omitted on the Fox network without even trying hard but that doesn't fit into what you're trying to prove right now.  Also, this isn't an "emotional" "what Tucker cares about" news report..... it's more.... just a factual news report about what is currently going on.  Not pissing and moaning about what happened in the past, we're talking about now.

Oh and I guess now we're severely crippled because Trump somehow screwed all of us without anyone knowing it.  If anyone's fucked it's because China is too "full of pride" to admit when they're wrong publicly and contain their shit storm they've created.  If you want to talk about the past let's talk about that instead of glazing over it like "welp it's already said and done, now what are you guys going to do now that China fucked everyone?"  The point is, China's screwed up.... they're stupid for how they've handled this and now everyone has to pay.  Those retards in that government and anyone that believes in any government anywhere close to resembling that bullshit called leadership can go fuck themselves.

You know one's deepest bias is to believe in your own objectivity.  Genius man.

• Props 1

4 hours ago, Dirty_habiT said:

You go from "fox is MSM to not be trusted" to "they didn't report what I think they should have reported".  I don't need to erect a defense for Tucker Carlson's video clip just because he didn't talk about what you, the apparent authority on Earth, thought he should have right then.  I'm sure you can find the information you think was omitted on the Fox network without even trying hard but that doesn't fit into what you're trying to prove right now.  Also, this isn't an "emotional" "what Tucker cares about" news report..... it's more.... just a factual news report about what is currently going on.  Not pissing and moaning about what happened in the past, we're talking about now.

Oh and I guess now we're severely crippled because Trump somehow screwed all of us without anyone knowing it.  If anyone's fucked it's because China is too "full of pride" to admit when they're wrong publicly and contain their shit storm they've created.  If you want to talk about the past let's talk about that instead of glazing over it like "welp it's already said and done, now what are you guys going to do now that China fucked everyone?"  The point is, China's screwed up.... they're stupid for how they've handled this and now everyone has to pay.  Those retards in that government and anyone that believes in any government anywhere close to resembling that bullshit called leadership can go fuck themselves.

You know one's deepest bias is to believe in your own objectivity.  Genius man.

You, again display that you're not capable of having a calm and reasonable discussion with me: you gotta get all butt hurt because we disagree and go on the attack. 

And I go back to ignoring to you.

Edited by Hua Guofang
  • Trash 1
  • Nega Props 1

You can ignore me all you want and it won't change the color of my TV.  The reason you're mad about me "going on attack" is that you have no response for it that would make any sense.  It takes few words to tell the truth and I will keep reminding everyone on this forum of that when you post your long dribbling bullshit leftist responses to what the USA does when you have no skin in the game.

The reason you didn't refute what Tucker said above is because you know that he's right and Fox News has credibility.  The reason anyone watches Fox is because they're actual journalists and not opinion writers.  They have respect in the industry as one of the only sources of actual news that isn't based upon political leanings an emotion.

Trump, also, did NOT take funding away from CDC.  What he did do is cut their over inflated budget.  Let me explain a little something to you about how budgets work.  The budget for next year is written up and predicted this year.  They go ask for x amount of money for next year, but it's over inflated.  The extra money gets spent on things that are not needed and fat bonuses for executives of said organizations.  Trump did what any good business man would do, he analyzed the spending and cut the fat.  The left wants to go all over the media and paint it like he somehow crippled those sectors but, in reality, they have more money now than they have ever had in the history of the country.

So, I'm not incapable of having a "reasonable discussion".  I'm incapable of believing your constant stream of bullshit and I think you're a moron who believes they're a lot smarter than they really are.  Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

• Props 1

8 hours ago, Hua Guofang said:

You, again display that you're not capable of having a calm and reasonable discussion with me: you gotta get all butt hurt because we disagree and go on the attack. 

And I go back to ignoring to you.

If you want to have an honest convo, dont throw these lame pass/aggressive shots at someone and then project on to them what you're guilty of. You do this a lot @Hua Guofang

• Pause 1
  • Truth 1