Pass the Corona ese... Novel Corona aka COVID-19

abrasivesaint

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Read the comments as well. Pretty nuts. Even if this turns out to be a whole lot of nothing medically, its clearly going to have very real impact in other areas. Panic spending is already disrupting inventories in huge ways. No doubt that'll lead to increased costs due to scarcity as described in a previous comment. Though I don't think it's really affected things locally for me, I've decided to go stock up myself before things pop off. Even if they don't, if CA is out of inventory, that means resupply everywhere else will be delayed until they catch up. Considering this whole thing is just getting wound up, I suspect we'll see things get far worse before they get a handle on it all.

Not having toilet paper sucks. Stock up my people's or you're going to have to be bird bathing that cleanup for the foreseeable future. Props to our Euro members that have the fountain thing going on next to their toilets.

🙋‍♀️

• LOL! 1

21 hours ago, misteraven said:

I agree with this, but I'd also mention that racism goes all ways. Some of the most racist people I've ever encountered are asians and hispanics. I've met white people that'll also make racist remarks, but I've yet to see any true hatred from anyone towards anyone else based upon skin color. Nature in general shows how outliers and those that are physically different are often shunned by the herd / pack / flock, etc. That's why you put a gold fish in a tank with expensive fish. Also why you don't buy a single black chicken or single white chicken when the rest of the flock is the opposite. I'm not saying its ethical or moral or discounting that humans should be more intelligent, only that this is ingrained behavior that you can see throughout nature: to migrate towards the familiar.

Now all that said, I certainly don't see the overt racism or the prolific turn towards racism that is constantly brought up in MSM. Race is absolutely a huge topic right now, but IMO only because the MSM keeps driving that narrative and fanning the flames of that cultural conversation. When it isn't race, its class. If not class, then nationality. There's always something lurking and as soon as the conversation gets stale, they shelf it for a few and move on to the next boogie man or whatever else paints the picture of an emerging crisis that ensures a deep inventory of click bait bullshit that keep everyone arguing with each other and no doubt *engaged* to whatever bullshit the MSM is peddling for that week.

I missed this yesterday. I agree whole heartedly about the media push for division whether it be class, race, gender, whatever.. it sells. I wasn’t saying it’s only white people who are racist. Hispanics i’ve known or know talk more shit about black folk than i’ve heard most white people talk, haha.

I would say that although it may not be overt, it can still come with dire consequences. Someone who might be prone to racial ideas or the occasional slur may also be desensitized, or just flat out not care, about the hundreds of thousands of innocent people dying because of where they live or what color they may be. Does this mean that everyone that’s ever said “towel head” is a racist? Absolutely not.  However, nature, and that division from an “us vs them” mentality can come much easier when those of us who aren’t keen to the workings of media, get sold on the ideas with ease. A little support, and a lot of desensitization, can go a long way.  

• Props 1

19 minutes ago, misteraven said:

Read the comments as well. Pretty nuts. Even if this turns out to be a whole lot of nothing medically, its clearly going to have very real impact in other areas. Panic spending is already disrupting inventories in huge ways. No doubt that'll lead to increased costs due to scarcity as described in a previous comment.

Some standard supplies for hospitals are on back order, mine included. Things that protect healthcare workers from catching the numerous other viruses and diseases we dance around on a daily basis are out of stock. So healthcare workers are now at higher risk for catching other ailments as a result of this panic. 

1 hour ago, abrasivesaint said:

Some standard supplies for hospitals are on back order, mine included. Things that protect healthcare workers from catching the numerous other viruses and diseases we dance around on a daily basis are out of stock. So healthcare workers are now at higher risk for catching other ailments as a result of this panic. 

Like MRSA?  I heard that's really common in hospitals.

1 hour ago, Dirty_habiT said:

Like MRSA?  I heard that's really common in hospitals.

MRSA is pretty common. General infections and sicknesses, flu, common colds, so on. Also depending on where in the hospital you are you’ll have exposure to things like hepatitis (fairly big one), HIV, tuberculosis.. Something like HIV comes with a high level of concern but you’re fairly safe from it in comparison to other viruses. HIV doesn't last long when exposed to oxygen.

I mean i’ve seen surgical equipment that had mad cow disease. While that is extremely rare, that shit has to get transported straight to an incinerator, and if you’re improperly protected from it you’ll be shitting in your pants the whole time.

If you’re dealing with sterilization you could be exposed to things like Ethylene Oxide. Though this has been removed from most facilities, at least that i know of.  

Decontamination puts you at risk to everything under the damn sun, and protective equipment is absolutely necessary.

Edited by abrasivesaint
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, abrasivesaint said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/02/health/coronavirus-how-it-spreads.html?referringSource=articleShare

edit: i’m honestly still not that worried about this virus. We’ll see. 

Click bait. An article with a whole lot of nothing.

That said, I'm not concerned about it so much from a medical point of view... At least as far as we know about it now. I am however, concerned about the implications on every day life. Seems most 'experts' are giving this much more attention than standard influenza. Not that I'm all that worried about the yearly flu, but it certainly takes it's toll in terms of a very real and measurable effect on death count and productivity / economics. This seems to be a much, much worse version of that. Though a lot is unknown, it would seem that this has garnered much more *real* attention than past shit like bird flu or swine flu, which was exponentially worse than standard influenza. Last I looked death tool estimates were largely unknown, but projected in the 2 - 3% range. Still a shit ton of people on a global scale, but a small enough a number where its unlikely that even with our broad and geographically diverse community on here, its unlikely any of us will personally know someone that dies, let alone fall victim ourselves. That's where the situation sits currently and is obviously subject to change as this plays out and we see what the reality is versus the 'official' projections.

I do however, believe a real pandemic is long past due. I think even experts seem to believe that eventually some fucked up shit will make its way around the world that has a real effect and resets society in a pretty major way, along the lines of the Spanish Flu. Who knows if this is the beginning of that, but unlikely in my opinion so far. Now this being said, we're in a very fucked up political and social atmosphere. We're also largely in a very delicate national and global economy situation. Considering the general fuckery we can expect in this election year, coupled with the very significant divisiveness we're seeing socially, its a hell of time to sprinkle some possible pandemic inducing virus-ness on that shit storm. Likewise, with all the various global tensions already well under way, most notably with China itself, not to mention North Korea, Russia and all these other hot spots that cycle through news... Well, its kinda hard to not see it as a whole lot of tinder being added to a fairly volatile situation. 

Where I see this being a real issue is economically. Fact is whether its merited or not, panic buying is very quickly gripping the USA. Most Americans are not in a position to play that game and reality is that we haven't officially even seen the kick off quite yet. Once this thing starts hitting places like NYC in a big way, which is inevitable, in my opinion, there's going to be a real mess of a situation. The West Coast is already seeing major disruptions to inventory and supply chain and so far, we have like 6 deaths. As I understand, the USA major ports are a freakin mess and shipments are being held up and in some cases turned around. Couple that with the fact that many Chinese factories are currently shut down or at best, running at much lower capacities and this thing is only beginning to ramp up. The CDC issued a statement that said to expect major life disruptions. We can look at what's happening close to ground zero where Japan shut schools down for a full month and many social services and other public structure essentially ground to a halt. So picture if we go that same route here in the USA, with 320 million people, as we lead into the elections, while people were already talking about the bugaloo before we even heard of yet another plague coming out of China.

Somehow, I don't think this will be the same, 'boy that cried wolf' scenario we saw a couple years back with the ebola drama. Oddly, the news seems to be downplaying this a great deal, as we just saw a couple posts back with @abrasivesaint's link to the NYT article. These being the same people that filled the airwaves, internet and social with non stop drama for weeks about Ebola, somehow are now just sort of saying, 'don't worry, just don't touch your face and stand 6 feet away from another human and you're good.', seems a bit peculiar to me. Meanwhile friends I know that have clients with the deepest of deep pockets have been liquidating virtual money like stocks and bonds and shifting into tangible money like metals, as well as bracing pretty hard for a storm, seems a bit unnerving, but ok... Is what it is. All of these observations individually is probably not too big a deal, but all together... In the charged atmosphere that seems to reach new levels of fucked-up-ness...  Not going to be good guys.

I was joking previously about the corona shopping to stock the bunker... Sorta. Reality is that I re-upped all the shelf stable stuff that I buy normally anyways. I'm expecting a decent check and know from experience that having a little extra of the standard stuff makes the lean times a little less painful. Since I have a little extra dough to work with and since all of that is stuff I would buy anyways, I thought I'd hedge my bets and invest early into a bunch of stuff I'd be buying over the coming months anyways. I'll likely go back again and stock up a bit more so that if I can't buy any of that stuff for the next 3 - 6 months, I'm good. Worst case scenario, I save myself a dozen trips to Costco over the next half year, since again, all of this is stuff I normally buy anyways. But if shit does continue to evolve as it appears to be and we see things track to the more pessimistic projections, in this fucked up atmosphere... Shit, I'll be here chillin, largely unaffected, rather than driving all over town to pay triple for something to wipe my ass with. Just sayin', be smart, be prepared... Prepared if life gets really fucked up, but also smart in case it doesn't.

• Like 1
  • Props 1

I don’t know if i agree the media is downplaying it. I don't know about televised media because i don't have a tv, but anything i’ve seen online has only been talking about the escalation of the virus. It is true that many agencies are just saying shit like “just wash your hands and you’ll be fine,” but i think they’re trying to just keep a lid on chaos as long as possible and also don’t really know quite what else to tell you at the moment.  

I agree that the most impact i see this having due to panic is economically. Medically, i’m no more worried about this than i am about dying in a car wreck at the moment. 

I just went to Central Market a little while ago to pick up a Prime NY Strip for dinner tomorrow night..... I went through the tp isle and saw plenty of supplies.  There were no signs of panic in the store and no sold out ingredients except the milled flax seed I was after.  I don't think that's something that people bought all of in prep for a virus outbreak though.  It was refreshing to see that people weren't wildin in Austin, TX yet..... and hopefully not at all.

Over here in Australia people are going mad. I thinking it might be a scam whipped by the toilet paper manufacturers to bump out some old stock. 

Trippy how when it first went off the Australian  Government quarantined people from China in the offshore centres.

Now we have communal transfers of it because they let in people from Iran and Korea where it has exploded......

Side note: fellas buy your girl some tammies if you're stocking up on stuff. That stuff is going to run out soon.

So yesterday, we had 4 in Washington State. Today we have 11, including a new state.

Tiny numbers, but exponential growth. Will be interesting to see how it evolves and if we'll be looking back at this thread in the future as a 9/11 sorta thing or just another stupid post .

• Like 1