Fat Ralphy's Health and Fitness Motivation Thread

fat ralphy

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Leveled up to doing exercises 1-3 of the bodyweight routine from 1-2 for the past couple months. Also stepped the run up to 7K from 5K. Alternating running/bodyweight and taking days off when I get insomnia or life gets in the way which amounts to average of five days on two days off per week which I think is about right.

When to maintain and when to progress is always a struggle, I have erred in the past on maintaining and getting stagnant but nothing can make you stagnant like an injury; but I think I am on the right track at the moment.

The level up increases the amount of time needed for each workout of course, now I got to get out the door at 0445 instead of 0500 in order to have time to cool down and shower before work. 

I think I am coming to the close of the super gratifying noob gains and am still not loosing any weight, kind of a dangerous moment where it is easy to loose momentum if there is a break in force. One thing that impacts my base fitness for sure is that my work for the past half year has gotten a lot less physical, makes a huge difference especially in burning calories. 

Hope everyone out there is keeping it up.

• Props 2

Continuing to fast daily between 13-16 hours….lifting consistently usually 30 mins a day with weekends off.

Really need to improve diet wise and get more cardio in…..no excuses.

Heading into BJJ tonight. For the next 7 days I pledge to you guys to get at least 30 mins cardio daily. Starts tonight…..

Haven’t weighed in lately but waist is at 38 and still getting the “you lost weight” comments. I would like to burn some more of the fat I am carrying though….

• Like 1
  • Props 1

Tenant ambushed me with a ribeye steak at 8pm - started motherfucking fasting at 9pm and got the cardio in at 9:30.

Spent 30 in the weight room earlier working legs.

I am an idiot in the weight room and cant really design an effective program….any of you goons excel with that type shit?

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I took time off while on vacation and then some more on return while getting into the swing of things. Went for the first run of the month yesterday. Going to have to struggle a bit to get momentum back but not going to let it get me down.

Went for a 17 mile hike with 5000 ft of elevation gain including scramble and off trail while I was out there, something that would have been a lot more difficult if I had not been in shape.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't even notice but I crept over the 5000km mark for the year.  Thinking I can do 10,000 if the snow holds off late enough.

Marketing has worked on me and I'm kicking around the idea of splurging on the bowflex kettlebells.  Need to incorporate some strength training back into my life as I am approaching 40. 

• Like 1
  • Props 2

8 hours ago, nicklesndimes said:

been doing extensive stretches/workouts every day when i wake up mon-fri for the last couple of weeks...and happy to report that I've been following it with a little jog.

the only issue is that i have been sleeping until 11am at least. starting tmrw, going to rise a bit earlier.

damn dawg what time you going to bed?

• Like 1

I’ve been maintaining while running through absolute chaos in life. Picked up a desk shift at a rich people gym so I can have a free membership and got offered to manage. Legitimately considering quitting my career to go full gym bro and take it. Pay is obviously less, but my life can consist of working out and eating. That seems like a dream come true. 

Been making some drastic decisions lately so think I just may.

• Props 2

Adding some weight training back into my life.  Plateau'd pretty hard right around 175#.  So hopefully mixing up the workout routine a bit with some kettlebell will shock me a bit and help lean me out a little more.  Fun (read frustrating) thing about cycling is your body adapts and becomes efficient quickly. 

• Like 2

I joined a masters swim team, we swim three times a week, open water in the summer, pool in the winter.

The last time I swam on a team was about ten years ago, it is hard to keep up but I am glad to be in a group. For the moment I have dropped other fitness but am thinking at the very least I need to do some daily walking to offset all the time I spend sitting on my ass at work. It is hard to overcome so much sedentary time when for decades I have been doing physical work at work.

• Props 2

• 2 weeks later...

After seeing @KILZ FILLZpost I changed up my routine and used an app for the first time.

Realized I have 24GO and that shit has hella workouts.

Lats sore as fuck. Shoulder is injured so I have adjusted with lighter weights and different lifts, takes forever to heal these fucking days. 

On my 392 consecutive fast - only making BJJ like 1-2 times a week which is fucked but I am lifting 5 times a week. Need some more cardio…

Lately all the bullshit in my life has got to my more than usual and so I need to double down. 

Edited by fat ralphy
  • Like 1

^^  I just rotated the MRE and noticed there's 47g of protein in 4 scoops.  I think I may have answered own question considering too much protein can be harmful, but how much is harmful if more muscle needs more protein to maintain the new gains, right?

A gram per pound of muscle is the standard. Have you checked your BMI? I weigh about 190 right now, and take in 190 grams of protein if I can. Has been admittedly hard Bc of how busy life has been recently. But yeah, in ideal training mode, that’s the standard. Watch what protein you supplement with. And those mre

meal replacements. A lot of cholesterol in lower quality mixes. Pay for the iso proteins. They’re worth it.

• Like 2

Man - I need to clean my diet up. 

Good on you @ndvfor eating clean - thinking @Dark_Knight is same.

Most of the weight I have gained in last 6 months is muscle but I need to lose more fat. Sucks because my coping mechanism post drinking has been eating - life has been stressful as fuck last couple years and so fasting has been my way of helping my body. 

Banged out 45 mins on stair climber this AM and will again tomorrow. There is a young skinny chick at gym that always engages with me when I am there but she works there and I can’t tell if she is just being nice. Has to be like 25 yro - so damn near 15 years younger. 

Hurt my shoulder in BJJ and so I have not been able to bench or lift really heavy last 3 weeks. Lingering injuries make me fee my age. Still lifting 4-5 time a week at work.

• Like 1
  • Props 1

8 hours ago, fat ralphy said:

Most of the weight I have gained in last 6 months is muscle

This is basically what I am trying to achieve.  Good for you.  

My proble is, is that I can eat amd eat but never gain anything.  A fast metabolism is a catch 22.

As for the the girl at the gym. Just ask her out just to see what really going on there.  Only one way to find out. 

Anyhow, keep up the progress and try to stay away from the stress. 

• Like 1