Fat Ralphy's Health and Fitness Motivation Thread

fat ralphy

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

The streak continues - 

Chick I am talking to does a Whole 30 to start each year, so I agreed to do it with her.

That will probably make a huge difference for me. 

I intend to continue my cardio streak during the Whole 30.

Lifted/cardio today and there were some fly broads at the gym. 

Keep it up fellas.

Diet looks like a farce, no legumes, no grain, no thank you.

I have reached a level of fitness where I can actually attempt to swim fast on the fast sets instead of just struggling to keep up all the time. I appreciate the group nature of the workouts, at the top of the benefits is that I do not need to think, just show up and do what everyone else is doing to the best of my ability. I do not miss trying to develop a workout.

I want to add one day of long distance walking and one bodyweight set to my week, that will unfortunately require some development.

Happy Holidays everyone!

• Props 1

New Years is coming folks, anybody have goals to share or reflections on the past year?

My goal last year was to get fitness back in my life after a lull caused in no small part by moving and taking a new job. In July I started to swim with a club and added the goal of being able to complete a workout on the assigned send-offs 100%, I am still working toward that goal five months in and am totally okay with that.

My health and fitness goals for the next year are to continue doing what I am doing with the swimming, throw in one long walk a week on Sundays, cook more and resolve my sleep health issues. 

I think they are attainable goals but know I will need to work toward each.

On 11/12/2021 at 11:18 AM, fat ralphy said:

ok dudes - I am committing to 30+ mins of cardio daily through the end of the year. Starting today.

Fucking did it guys / thanks for the support.

Update - doing a Whole30 diet for the month of January due to a hot nurse who has some persuasive ability.

Will continue my cardio through the month and see where I end up……

Today’s weight was 267lbs - im in pretty good shape right now. 

• Props 1

@morton props - definitely you have contributed to my motivation throughout the year in this thread.

My year started coming from the loss of my best friend and shortly thereafter my relationship-I wanted to take actions that would benefit me physically and mentally and so improving my fitness was perfect.

I have developed some habits I will continue and I want to thank all of you guys for the support.

Current goal - continue with routine exercise and immensely improve diet this year.

• Props 2

Finished 2021 with just shy of 8,000 km ridden.  Will be doing my best to top that this year.

Going to do a fairly dry Jan + Feb.  Starting in March I have a loooooong stint of nights so will be doing about zero drinking for 3 months.  Wonder if I can scrub 10-15lbs during all that. 

Edited by metronome
  • Props 1

bingbong.

So far 3 days into this Whole30 my observations are as follows - I don’t feel excessively full or bloated at all. Digestive tract seems to be working faster than normal. I have a lot of room to grow with meal prep and cooking in general. I predict I will be able to sustain this diet and my daily cardio through January.

At that point maybe I will try to sustain Paleo with the occasional fuckery.  

11153911-D5B3-4224-B4F2-DBDA46CD0EBD.jpeg

• Props 1

Well, we are two weeks in and my resolutions are gone. The wife did not like the idea of me being gone hiking for half the day every Sunday. In marriage you have to pick your battles and since I am already working so much it seams reasonable to let this one go by.

I am cooking more but not trying to count it up or make it a rule, on the healthy lifestyle I suppose I should focus on lower calorie meals but whatever.

Swimming has been pretty intense lately, more sprint sets which leaves me winded. I have purchased fins and started using paddles again both of which should build some muscle and maybe help with form.

I am wondering again, as I have many times over the years about the merits of adopting a short, simple, non-progressive bodyweight routine. Something like 20 each of push-up, sit-up, squat, performed every day. Does anyone have something like that? For the second quarter of last year I had a routine but it was much more involved taking up like an hour and with the idea of adding more and harder work to it over time.

lol at "digestive tract working faster than normal" , is that perhaps code for "shitting with great frequency"

• Like 1

@morton more like the food I eat process relatively quickly and I feel less bloated but yes it relates to shitting. Actually a little less frequently than when my diet was piss poor.

I have been sticking with my cardio - only have lost about 3 lbs this month but I feel pretty damn good. 

I realize I need to cut down on snacks between meals - hella fruit and nuts /nh the calories add up. 

• Props 1

my guys - couple times this week cardio came in some alternate forms.

Today walked to the grocery store and

carried groceries home. Last night went rounds with my chick, I need to get back to a routine.

Still dieting properly, made some dope soup last night. Italian Sausage browned, 4 bacon strips (no sugar from the butcher), onion, red pepper flakes, chicken broth, kale and light coconut milk.

Smacked. This girl throws down in the kitchen and most of it is easy prep, insta pot etc.

Elevating my diet and home

cooking for sure. 

• Props 2

I do not understand the reference, no wonkin.

I missed last Saturday swim because of snow and one of the weeknight swims for work and now snow again. I am slowly gaining now, for aggressive sets I used be able to finish two thirds of the yardage, now I am around three quarters.

I should go for a long walk, not sure that I will be able to motivate. It can be so easy to stay in and veg when the weather is shit. Even easier when it is like short term shit and will be better in a few days, not like shit for months where you have to deal.

Anybody remember angel of death from the old workout thread? He was pretty motivated about pumping iron if I remember, also a bit of a nut about the guns but that would fit in fine around here now a days. I can remember him telling me that if I gave up on the 100 pushup program I would give up on any program. Never did finish the 100 pushup program, bet it would be harder now some ten years later lol.

Rambling post here, hope everyone is getting to it and building for a better tomorrow.

• Truth 1

Dude so I say no to the gym and all of that. If u want to be healthy and fit and you tag it all goes together. I only drink water and go on 10 mile hikes tagging doing photography and some painting mainly markers tho if you do this all month or longer you’ll have great results ! The women love this for sure !

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

One week into April 

On 3/11/2022 at 6:42 PM, KILZ FILLZ said:

Getting bulky

getting compliments 

beach cut starts in April

already got my mile time down from about 15min to 11. Goal is about 9. Doable 

Got rid of rice in my lunches and switched to sweet potatoes. 

need to go back to 1 cheat day to keep myself honest. 

• Like 1
  • Props 1

Just reviewed my work out app, it has been a year of fairly focused exercise. 

In July it will be a year of Masters swim team work outs, in May we go from the pool to open water which is exciting. Salt life and all that.

Muscle gain is slower now, which is fine, I am pretty strong. I have not really focused on diet and have not really lost any weight but am stable and while above where I would like to be and below my alert line. The idea of a spring diet is interesting, if I dropped two pounds a month I would be at target weight in August. 

I think I should start back up with the Sunday walks, now is the time before it gets too hot. 

Sleep problems along with general anxiety/bullshit at work have me a little run ragged, sometimes I feel weak and unmotivated but still show up. 

• Props 2

Haven’t checked in in awhile. 

In pretty prime shape right now. 6’1 185 at 9% body fat.

going to up my diet and start going heavier with weight and add on 10lbs of lean made by july. 

Hardest part for me is diet. I am not a big eater. So it’s hard to take in enough calories to see growth beyond my size. Maintaining it will be tough.

arms are lookin saucy tho

574B5E60-8316-4539-B43C-BB7C7058B345.jpeg

• Props 2