Fat Ralphy's Health and Fitness Motivation Thread

fat ralphy

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I am lucky enough to have a pretty decent gym at work that is not open to the public....although it was closed for several months at one point due to pandemic.

@Dark_Knight any home set up? I have power block dumbbells and a flat bench. There has been a weight shortage here in CA and a bunch of people online trying to sell at super inflated prices....fuckers.

21 minutes ago, fat ralphy said:

I am lucky enough to have a pretty decent gym at work that is not open to the public....although it was closed for several months at one point due to pandemic.

@Dark_Knight any home set up? I have power block dumbbells and a flat bench. There has been a weight shortage here in CA and a bunch of people online trying to sell at super inflated prices....fuckers.

i have a dip bar. Few dumb bell sets. Resistance bands. One of those door pull up bars. But that’s About it. May invest in a bench or a squat rack if I can find one at a decent price. 

Ive been going to the gym for about 2 hrs a day and working in cycling or running everyday along with it. Feeling pretty damn good and seeing results so I’m extra worried that winter and lock down as a combo might ruin progress.

I can force a home work out, but mentally, I like going to a gym. It’s harder to get motivated in the place I relax.

• Props 1

Yeah dude - my best friend was dying of cancer end of 2019 and into early 2020. Physically going into the gym really helped me in a difficult time - work out, stress relief, cardio, get the endorphins and serotonin up. Crucial.

Not to mention eye candy and the sauna. Those were good perks too.

• Props 1

• 4 weeks later...

Crushed an hour of cardio everyday in November - going to keep the momentum and just continue to get an hour in everyday.

No more gym in my area, so I will make an effort to lift consistently at home.

Dropped some weight last month but it was less than I expected - I will continue to clean up my diet and fast regularly.

• Like 1
  • Props 1

Luckily our gyms are still open (for now) 

Whats your diet like? The hardest part for me is to eat enough. I do a lot of Greek yogurt to supplement between meals.

I’ve been focusing a lot on squats and legs in general. I have long legs, so it’s the hardest part of my body to add size to.

10x10 of 225 is my usual goal. Twice a week. I like to do pause reps of 135 after to add explosiveness. 

I’ll do leg extensions and light presses along side to burn out. I’ve noticed some significant size over the last month. Hoping the gym will stay open so I can continue. 

My diet is decent. I do eat crap from time to time - I have fasted between 13 to 18 hours every day since June. Allows me some cheating here and there but I pretty much focus on being reasonable/realistic ie. i fuck with pizza, donuts on occasion etc

I don’t really need to bulk - I am 6’4” 270lbs right now. I have never been sloppy overweight but I have also never been in great shape. Once I amassed weight from alcohol, it was hard to lose. Plus once I stopped drinking, the carb/sugar craving became a factor.

At this point I have my flat bench and some power block dumbbells 50lb - so mostly just toning. I don’t really have a good routine.

Once this shit subsides I will for sure join the gym again and get a serious regiment started.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/21/2019 at 6:12 PM, fat ralphy said:

Today i weighed in at 305 lbs - my goal weight is 240lbs. 

Nov. 29 I was 271 lbs - weighing in monthly so i dont focus on it like a freak.

Keeping up the hour of cardio daily. Lifting a few days a week and diet has been pretty good with fasting between 13-16 hours daily.

• Props 1

• 3 weeks later...

Had a cold the last couple days and didn’t do my cardio - 

I am looking to take what I did in 2020 and improve on it majorly in 2021. Will continue to fast daily and going to tighten my diet up, thinking about shooting for my macros or just clean eating. Regaring the gym I will continue with an hour of cardio daily and I would like to lift 3 days a week. Gyms here are closed, will make due with my home dumbells and flat bench until otherwise.

Once BJJ opens up again I will train 2-3 times a week. My goal is “fit at 40” - so basically 4 months to shred more weight.....would like to be 250lbs and ultimately 230lbs would be insane.

• 2 weeks later...

Mild case of corona - pretty much recovered minus my sense of smell, taste isn’t 100% yet. 

I am going to take it easy on the work out tip for a few weeks and then ease back into it - they say ease into shit I guess to avoid any complications but I assume those are generally related to more serious cases.  Regardless, probably wait a few weeks and get back into cardio incrementally.

Weighed in at 259 the other day, which is basically 50lbs down in last 6 months. 

• Like 1
  • Props 3

10 hours ago, fat ralphy said:

Mild case of corona - pretty much recovered minus my sense of smell, taste isn’t 100% yet. 

I am going to take it easy on the work out tip for a few weeks and then ease back into it - they say ease into shit I guess to avoid any complications but I assume those are generally related to more serious cases.  Regardless, probably wait a few weeks and get back into cardio incrementally.

Weighed in at 259 the other day, which is basically 50lbs down in last 6 months. 

Glad you’re ok. Judging from your typical regimen, I’m assuming it’ll be kind of tough to keep shredding weight during your recovery. Have you thought about doing long walks to supplement? Idk if you live in a colder climate or not. Regardless, happy to hear your case was mild.

I’ve been struggling fully developing my lats in my fine tuning phase. Always tend to just hit the top of them, which is most people’s problem when training back. It’s where the “invisible lay syndrome” walk comes from.

image.jpeg.4e041ad1ff22a434ef2881cce5d3d028.jpeg

Found this guy not too long ago.... 

Used this video as a loose guidance on how to work past the plateau, and I am sore as can be because of it.

His videos are incredible. Scientific approach to building muscle. Anti ego lifting. Ideal for positive gains.

If any oontzers need guidance into the world, he is a godsend.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Made it below 80kg for the first time since being in high school I think.  IF and cutting out a bunch of beer really did wonders for that.

I can't do outdoor riding here, too much snow and no room on the roads etc.  Been Zwift riding 6-7 days a week, trying to up my volume so that when the outdoor riding season hits again I'll be in good fitness.  Want to see how close I can get to 10,000kms on my bike this year. 

• Props 3

@nicklesndimesit all depends on what your goals are. If you’re trying to build solid mass, then consistency is key. If you hit plateaus, then you just gotta get creative and switch it up so you hit your muscles in different ways.

Arnold broke it down pretty good here

If you jump back in now, you’ll feel and see a lot of  “amateur gains” right off the bat. But the key is building after that size settles in. Just takes time effort and consistency. Diet too. Making sure you have enough fuel to feed your muscles so you get the most out of each work out.

Also leaving the ego at the door. If you’re worried about the weight you’re pushing, then you’re not worried about the quality of muscle you’re building. High quality reps with contractions on each peak is what builds dense muscle mass. Mass that will stay with you too.

But like I said, depends on what you want as a goal. Everyone has different motivators, and not everything’s about bodybuilding. It’s just my focus so it’s where I can give advice.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, nicklesndimes said:

@Dark_Knight

thanks for the feedback. have had my back against the wall fitness-wise for some time now. need to get focused again. after a while it was like i was emotionlessly feigning interest in attempts at exercise between large meals smh....where before i was so in tune with what i was doing i could literally feel the food i was eating fueling my next session.

i really genuinely would like to get back into being tuned into physical fitness again for the later half of my 30s 💯

It’s always such a weird thing falling off. I did for a long while myself. Hard to get back into the rhythm, but once you do, it’s priority everyday. Those first few weeks are tough tho. Exhaustion and frustration hit. Patience is a virtue 💪🏼

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, mn1_fuckos said:

Im back into fat mode. Havent been to the gym closing in on a year next month. Made great progress but we will be starting a square one. when I get back to it. Im planning on hitting it a bit harder and a little more discipline when I get back to it.

How's your diet, tho?

• Truth 1