Fat Ralphy's Health and Fitness Motivation Thread

fat ralphy

Fat Ralphy checking in here folks.....

I intend to use this thread to document and motivate my efforts for health and fitness. 

My hopes are that putting myself out there and being accountable to the forum will help me stay on point. 

Over the last two years I have packed on approx. 50 lbs - stress and injuries have made it hard to get on track.

My plan is as follows - get my eating in check, post my meals here and document meal prep. Increase my activity - I currently train Brazilian Jiu Jitsu a few times a week but I want to add some lifting, biking, swimming and cardio.

Today i weighed in at 305 lbs - my goal weight is 240lbs. 

Including a photo of my weigh in today. 

Feel free to check in on your own fitness goals or give input if you have some knowledge to share. Thanks Bros....

(This is going to be a struggle - I am eating a slice of pizza as I post this.)

(Ok - several slices.)

• Like 1
  • Props 4

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

does this mean that when youre done, youre gonna change your name to Skinny Ralphy? jk jk

No but seriously man, best of luck to you...the struggle is real.

I went on a diet/lifestyle change the day before christmas (about 8 months ago) and have lost 40 pounds...but i know for a fact I put on some muscle as well too so the weight isn't an accurate depiction of my overall fitness.

your scale has body fat% so pay more attention to that.

I'll check in this thread often to check in with you and share my own personal failures and successes too...my heaviest was almost 300...probably right around 293ish...i felt like shit....when i started after christmas i was right around 280 and im at around 240 right now...give or take a couple of pounds.

in the workout thread, i posted a good weight lifting routine....check it out.

also try checking out the myfitnesspal app to track you macros.

i dont know if you know about tracking macros, but if you don't theres a ton of information on it on the internetz.

basically not only are you keeping track of calorie intake, but your keeping track of what percent of those calories come from fat, protein, and carbs.

in the app, you can change percentages....say you're in take for the day is only 2200 calories...but you want 40% of those to come from protein, 30% from carbs and 30% from fats, it will calculate how many grams of each you need for the day and it will keep track of it by you scanning the food labels as you enter the data...the only bitch is that you need a food scale...i bought a good cheap one from amazon....its a tedious as fuck process but if you stay on track with it, it works.

good luck bro, feel free to pm me if you lose motivation or want to bounce ideas back and forth.

• Like 1

Check out intermittent fasting:

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/intermittent-fasting-guide

Even if this isn't for you, Caligula is spot on with calorie tracking.  Weight loss is 90% diet, you can't outwork a shitty diet.

Good luck, keep at it, and when you feel shitty remember why you're doing it.

Oh, and if you can, get on a bike.  Great way to get cardio, leg day, and sight see your own city all at the same time.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, fat ralphy said:

I am eating a slice of pizza as I post this

Do not give up!
  I also did not look very much, but then threw 12 kg. My most important tips:
- get enough sleep
- a lot of walking and walking, not using the elevator
- and most importantly - nutrition: less carbohydrates and more regular fat.
My photo for motivation.

19248065_1480579788666651_9040115755980809152_n.jpg

• Like 2
  • Props 1

1 hour ago, metronome said:

Check out intermittent fasting:

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/intermittent-fasting-guide

Even if this isn't for you, Caligula is spot on with calorie tracking.  Weight loss is 90% diet, you can't outwork a shitty diet.

Good luck, keep at it, and when you feel shitty remember why you're doing it.

Oh, and if you can, get on a bike.  Great way to get cardio, leg day, and sight see your own city all at the same time.

I actually successfully used intermittent fasting for 18 months. I would do two 24 hour fasts per week. I had some great results because I was also doing Muay Thai / BJJ while fasted

Definitely going to add in some intermittent fasting to my regiment. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lindagriffithh said:

Do not give up!
  I also did not look very much, but then threw 12 kg. My most important tips:
- get enough sleep
- a lot of walking and walking, not using the elevator
- and most importantly - nutrition: less carbohydrates and more regular fat.
My photo for motivation.

19248065_1480579788666651_9040115755980809152_n.jpg

Not to derail the conversation but I almost banned your account because it looked so much like a spam account. Most registrations with user names that sound like real names are often spam. Also conssidering the fact that you're female and the timing on it, pointed in that direction. Glad to see from your couple of posts that you're indeed a legitimate new user. Mind if I ask how you came across 12oz?

Also, thanks for helping @fat ralphyand the users here with the motivation. 

Hey @fat ralphy- good for you dude... most people just talk and it takes discipline to actually do... genuinely hope you stick with this and I'll check in from time to time.

You'll likely here a million and one suggestions on eating / exercising and getting healthy, but here's a million and one... But this one worked for me very well and also worked exceptionally well for a good friend of mine that saw my results and gave it a shot. Honestly, not even hard to do if you can afford the extra costs, have the time to plan and can wrap your head around doing what you've likely heard to be bad for most of your life.

For starters, go read the Keto thread I started a while back. Link: https://forum.12ozprophet.com/topic/86480-the-healthy-eating-thread-keto-paleo-and-more/?tab=comments#comment-6287097

I can't stress that enough... Do not eat food that comes in a box. Do not eat food that has instructions on heating up in a microwave. DO not eat food that contains more than a handful of ingredients.Shop the outside perimeter of the super market. Almost everything in the aisles is heavily processed crap... You'll not the produce, dairy and meat departments are essentially your go to.

Ironically to what we've learned, fats (healthy ones) are a very important part of our diet and a critical part of a healthy brain. Cold water, fatty fishes are some of the best thing you can eat and feel free to eat as much of it as you want, assuming its quality fish (wild caught). Trout, Mackeral, Salmon and Sardines for example. Likewise, eggs are some of the most nutritionally dense and complete foods you can eat. I was taught all my life that eating eggs leads to high cholesterol, until I met my current doctor. He said to trust him and give it a test based on evidence. He did a very detailed blood workup that was sent out to labs and a complete physical. Asked me to eat as much fresh meat as I want. Told me to try and eat lots of fatty cold water fish, Told me to eat a ton of eggs. I have a flock of chickens and get about a dozen or two eggs a day, so after confirming with my doctor, I literally ate a couple eggs for at least two meals a day for 3 complete months to the day, as well as snacked on hard boiled ones (trader joes sells an everything bagel seasoning that is epic on eggs). He told me to carefully track my carb count and target no more than 15 grams a day (I often hit 5 - 10 grams a day, which is very hard to do). He said to cut out all sugar and sweeteners 100%, including natural sugars like fructose. That includes fruit and many vegetables as well. The sole exception was pure, quality stevia and to even limit that. I cheated and drank a lot of milk and mile has lactose (anything ending is "ose" is a naturally occurring sugar).

I honestly ate as much as I wanted, as often as I wanted. I wasn't really super over weight at the time (6'2" and 205), but was diagnosed pre diabetic after way too many years of sugar. So no carbs, no sugars, nothing processed. Lots of green vegetables, tons of eggs, lots of red meat and fatty fish. Cooked simply in olive oil or avocado oil, salt and quality, natural herbs and spices (obviously no sugar). I started losing weight quickly and the weight melted off faster than I'd have imagined. In fact, I got scared at one point that I was losing too much weight and called the doctor about it. In 3 months I lost about 40 lbs before it stabilized and started creeping back up and then equalized at about 175. Again, I wasn't starving myself... I ate as much as I wanted as often as I wanted, but had to be "approved" foods. Literally eating eggs at every opportunity and steaks every other night. Smoked trout from the local mom and pop butcher and snacked on naturally smoked jerky from the same place. Quite a bit of cheese, lots of salads (olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper instead of dressing) and stayed strict 100%. Then went back to the doctor for a full blood workup and lab work. End result was I just about fell out of the range for pre diabetic, my cholesterol actually went down significantly (his explanation was that the cholesterol was the result of an inflamed liver, due to fatty build up from too much sugar).

I'm not a doctor and not telling you what to do. Only saying what I was told and worked unbelievably well for me. Being honest, I wouldn't believe it if someone told me this, had I not tried it for myself. Trick is to buy quality food in advance and always have it on hand. Plan your meals... Buy or download keto friendly recipes and then buy what you need to make them. Do it organized and map out your week. Make sure you have plenty of *snacks* on hand because you'll note that when you eat high fat / protein instead of carbs, you'll metabolize it faster and be hungry sooner. You dont get that feeling of being satiated for half the day like when you load up on carbs. If you'll be away from home for more than an hour, take food with you because you'll be hard pressed to find something in the street. Fall back is a burger from a decent place, wrapped in lettuce and skip the tomato (obviosuly no fries and watch what dressing you put on it. mustard, may or ranch is fine, but no ketchup).

And yes, heavy cardio balanced against maybe 30% strength training. Likewise, get some quality vitamins... Especially a good fish oil supplement.

• Like 2
  • Props 1

Word, solid input thanks @misteraven-

I have flirted with keto here and there, consistently fuck it up due to cravings.

I am willing to give it another shot, make a good Costco run soon. The thing about having meals prepped and quality snacks on hand is huge for me. 

Fasting today after lunch as a step in the right direction.

848559F9-B872-46A8-AAC2-48F715F572A3.png

• Props 1

3 hours ago, misteraven said:

Not to derail the conversation but I almost banned your account because it looked so much like a spam account. Most registrations with user names that sound like real names are often spam. Also conssidering the fact that you're female and the timing on it, pointed in that direction. Glad to see from your couple of posts that you're indeed a legitimate new user. Mind if I ask how you came across 12oz?

Also not wishing to derail a good topic but found this questionable/suspicious since they appeared.  First 2 posts name drop the same services and even the response above includes a link in it in the words 'most important.'  But hey, maybe they don't speak English and just used a program to write the above response.  To conclude, I invoke the old 12oz maxim Tits or GTFO.

• Like 1
  • LOL! 1

2 hours ago, CALIgula said:

Ive heard an 8/16 intermittent fast works pretty well. I want to try it... eat from 9am to 5pm and then only water and black coffee the rest of the time. 

Yeah - I think the key is picking a reasonable window and sticking to it.

I am already fiending to eat now - so I am going to cook some zucchini from my garden for dinner and reset to an easier window to start with. Maybe ease my way back in with a 6 and 18 window....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, One Man Banned said:

Also not wishing to derail a good topic but found this questionable/suspicious since they appeared.  First 2 posts name drop the same services and even the response above includes a link in it in the words 'most important.'  But hey, maybe they don't speak English and just used a program to write the above response.  To conclude, I invoke the old 12oz maxim Tits or GTFO.

?

Maybe she's Russian. 

No collusion ?‍♂️

Nice work @fat ralphy

Keen to follow along on this thread
I'm on a health kick at the moment after a few years of being lazy.. not planning on dropping  a heap of weight or anything just wanna get my fitness up again and balance out some of the eating and drinking I do over the weekends haha

Usually eat pretty healthy anyway just the beers that catch up with me, so cut back on those and been running & cycling 4-5 days a week.

feeling a heap better for it already, heaps more energy in my day to day and playing with the kids etc

Going to drop a link to my peloton thread since maybe with the new activity, one of you guys are on there. If not, and you’re interested, it’s probably one of the hardest cardio workouts you can do (spin class). 

https://forum.12ozprophet.com/topic/86713-12ozprophet-pelaton-riders/

It’s been a huge challenge getting my diet in check.

Finally got my first fast completed and the momentum will make the next one easier. Going to try for the 18:6 most days. Also eat a bit cleaner.

Jiu Jitsu class yesterday kicked my ass. We have a really strong black belt who just came up from Brazil. Dude is solid.

On a side note - copped my reunion Tee.

6526D21A-2197-4163-9ACD-4735888E3682.png

492D5BA7-2793-46BC-B01A-00176BF2905F.png

• Like 2
  • Props 1

Right now most of my cardio is through BJJ but I am going to get back on the stair climber and bike this weekend.

Starting first week of August I will no longer have to drive kids to school or pick up.....going to give extra time for the gym.

Resisted this carb/sugar temptation this morning. Every Friday this shit is in the office, most of the time I crush at least a donut and bagel in the morning and several cookies during the day.

8453A9A8-124F-4FD5-BD48-BA26CAA474D3.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Props 1

Just started doing light excersize in January and have seen solid results. 

Literally jut push-ups, walking, pull ups, and light weight squats and or stairs. 

YOU CAN DO IT.

Remember quality over quantity. 

Was going for numbers goals injured my shoulder in may, had to slow down and refuckulate the whole process. 

Just now getting back to where I was numbers wise but having to slow down and focus. 

• Like 1

Hey @fat ralphywheres the updates? Hows it going man?

I started getting on a clean eating, keto based diet again. did knowingly fuck it up the second day by eating pumpkin sheet cake and drinking a few beers at a barbecue, but have been pretty good for the few days following that. probably about a week into it and plan was to transition to a more and more strict version of it over the next week or two until I'm hitting 10 - 15g or less of carbs a day and then hold that for 3 months. Once I get through the 3 months, I was going to allow either 1 cheat day a week or perhaps 2 cheat days every two weeks and see how it feels. Do need to get back into some sort of real exercise routine, but just juggling way too much right now, so it's going to have to wait a little longer.

• Like 1

Hell yeah.

bumps in the road are going to happen, all you can try to do is try to be better than you were yesterday. Sometimes that doesn't work out, but that's ok because even if you didn't beat yesterday's you, you are still beating last week's you and last month's you.

• Like 1
  • Truth 1