Exercise thread

Moe Szyslak

Who here exercises? Im not talking about body building or anything. Just any form of scheduled physical work outs. How often and what do you do? Ive been trying to start running recently. I went out twice and caught pneumonia the second time. Lucky me. Gonna start again once i lose this cough.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I recently started going to the gym 

3 times a week for the last 3 months.

It has taken forever but I'm running 4 miles in a couple minutes under an hour. It's not much by most peoples standard but I damn near felt like i was dying the first couple of times I tried running.

we recently started hitting the weights with a buddy of mine as well but theres tons of progress to be made.

• Props 3

5 days a week

Monday thru Friday

Interval training with body weight

heavy weight training

decided to go in the deep end head first which would shock my body...8 weeks in, lost 20 pounds

diet kept at a hard 2500 calories a day...high fat high protein with low carbs

not really strict on what protein, what vegetables, and rounded out with good fats only

obviously keep the fast food and junk food out

gallon and a half of water everyday....that shit is key

when at home and I find myself not doing anything

kelso shrugs, step ups, lunges, dynamic push ups (hands in different positions for different sets)

I quit drinking (for now) which allowed my skin to go back to the way it was before

everything fixed my posture

just doing this so when I get back to jiu jitsu im not a fat fuck

• Truth 1

I’ve been trying to get back into running but motivation is hard to come by at the moment. I was getting pretty out of shape after starting a new job just over a year ago that due to increased commute meant I’m getting home late and eating dinner then just doing freelance work all night. As you can imagine a lot of sitting around and eating badly hasn’t done me much good haha.

I have improved my diet lately though. And trying to go for a half hour walk on my lunch break at work each day just to get moving a bit more. Next step is regular running and finally join a gym.

Definitely took my metabolism for granted when I was younger. 

Edited by Lorne_Malvo
My bad is grammar

Yea just like glory days said. I think i shocked my body. I dont think its very safe to go from no exercise to a bunch without shocking your body. I think i got pneumonia on the third day of running after years of being a fat lazy fuck. Gonna try to run 1 mile each day for as many days as my body will let me.

Just started back at the gym after a few years off - used to be an instructer in another life.

I used to ride trails and to and from work - about a 30km turnaround - each day. But the knee has been giving me curry over the last couple of months. Might try getting back on the bike this weekend to see how it feels.

I turn into a lard ball when I don't train as my food discipline isn't what it should be.

15 hours ago, Moe Szyslak said:

Yea just like glory days said. I think i shocked my body. I dont think its very safe to go from no exercise to a bunch without shocking your body. I think i got pneumonia on the third day of running after years of being a fat lazy fuck. Gonna try to run 1 mile each day for as many days as my body will let me.

look up delayed onset muscle soreness and the "repeated bout affect"

its perfectly safe to keep your body at a high rate of muscle activation...to be honest all you need is 40 minutes a day of hard training and strict diet change and it has to be STRICT

calories do count and if you train hard, you should start off with 2500 and work your way up every two weeks

if you don't eat enough, your body will start to think you're starving and you'll begin to store fat instead of expending it

was hitting the gym obsessively the past year, recently got kinda burned out on it, been running some trails and playing some hooooooops to stay sane......just appreciating being healthy and staying active keeps me from going off rail. Cheers to the  active shtuff  everyone is getting into.

• Like 1

I went about 4 times a week all last year. 15 minutes of cardio, plus weights. I hit some kind of reverse New Year's Resolution and stopped going around the start of January. Last night I went for a run, just a mile but I did that in a little under 8 minutes, which is my usual. Surprised I could still keep that time. Going to go again later tonight once it cools off, and hopefully continue.

I have high blood pressure so cardio really is all I NEED to be doing, weights are way more fun though. Fucking hate cardio.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kalashnikov said:

reverse New Year's Resolution

this

........yea i recently got split custody of my kiddo after me and the misses split this past year, hence the daily gym, i do stretching then weights then 15 minutes of intervals on the bike then like 3 games of pick up basketball, more weights and the resistance machine then i do the roller on the mats for a while. Its way harder to get good workouts when my daughter is with me, i have more respect for parents trying to stay healthy. Hiking is our go to, Im happy about that.

• Props 1

37 minutes ago, where said:

this

........yea i recently got split custody of my kiddo after me and the misses split this past year, hence the daily gym, i do stretching then weights then 15 minutes of intervals on the bike then like 3 games of pick up basketball, more weights and the resistance machine then i do the roller on the mats for a while. Its way harder to get good workouts when my daughter is with me, i have more respect for parents trying to stay healthy. Hiking is our go to, Im happy about that.

Word. My parents never really exercised though, but they stayed normal body weight. I'm starting to get a slight belly (I'm at the very top of "normal" for my height), but god damn. Going to work all day, taking care of adult bullshit and then working out afterwards takes dedication. If you have kids that takes even more.

I wish there was hiking around me. The only real place is the Everglades and that's not real hiking, it's walking/running through grass instead of on the pavement.

I hate winter but one thing I do miss about being up north is those fall evenings. Where the trees are bare but the leaves are all over the ground, there's that crisp smell in the air and it's perfect weather to be outside exercising in a light hoodie.

3 hours ago, Kalashnikov said:

I wish there was hiking around me. The only real place is the Everglades and that's not real hiking, it's walking/running through grass instead of on the pavement.

“Hiking the Everglades With Kalashnikov” sounds like it has potential to be an epic thread.

Keep it glass half full.