New Screenprinting Facility - 12ozProphet 2019 and forward (personal rant and pseudo 12oz state of the union)

misteraven

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Thanks @mr.yuckappreciate the kind words. The photos maybe make it look smoother and easier than it really was. Took a ton blood, sweat and tears to pull off and still neck deep holding it together but it’s a beautiful facility that’s certainly working on cool stuff. Since everyone seems to dig it, I’ll keep sharing. Hopefully it’s a little easier to understand why 12ozProphet doesn’t always get the focus and attention it deserves. Doing my best to remedy that

• Like 1
  • Props 1

Facility install photos since that’s how this thread started. Definitely a lot less DIY on the second round. Lot of freakin moving parts and a lot to figure out. Took us over a year to get things fully setup and configured and ultimately have all the equipment dialed in, fully integrated and our workflows figured out. We’re doing this pretty unconventionally and I’m pushing tolerances to levels that people think (thought?) are retarded, but we have achieved some pretty incredible results. Unsure how deep to get on taking shop but happy to answer questions and get as deep as you guys want into discussing the details of what we’re doing and how we’re doing it. 

Here’s some behind the screens iPhone shots of some of the equipment being moved in and installed. This was all being done just after the height of Covid, as if it wasn’t tough enough as is. We had 10 technicians and 30+ contractors and construction workers for all this. Pretty crazy to see now that I look back on it. When I was in the thick of it, I was mostly just stressed and scrambling and trying to act like I wasn’t in over my head. Ultimately, it turned out pretty well, but took a lot of people and a lot of effort. The shots below are just a small glimpse of all that. 

IMG_8500.jpeg

IMG_9329.jpeg

IMG_8542.jpeg

IMG_8553.jpeg

7A0E0858-317F-4C07-9958-7870795E1D6C.jpeg

9957C8D5-8D33-4755-B4D4-332A613D8854.jpeg

IMG_8659.jpeg

E89F8C1E-1526-49B6-80B9-D8A5949BBDFB.jpeg

IMG_8725.jpeg

IMG_8801.jpeg

IMG_8815.jpeg

IMG_8841.jpeg

IMG_8847.jpeg

IMG_0213.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Props 5

22 hours ago, misteraven said:

Yeah man, literally started in the garage / workshop on my property. Me and @salchich-pepin dug the trenches and laid in all the writing and plumbing, put up walls and lights etc. Pretty nuts seeing it all, but we're still working on it. Never ends...

12 posts since 2000!?

You need to tell @salchich-pepinto get their post count up in 2024. It’s time.

4 hours ago, misteraven said:

For those that listen to Cleared Hot Podcast with Andy Stumpf. I know @Mercer and I think @diggity and @Kults do. 

IMG_3117.jpeg

Any more ideas for patches to adhere to the 12oz adaptive hats?

I will be getting a green hat once finances improve, so if there are new patches coming I will grab some of those too.

BTW the adaptive hats are a kickass idea, and surprised I had never seen it done by anyone else prior to getting My 12oz one.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mauler5150 said:

Any more ideas for patches to adhere to the 12oz adaptive hats?

I will be getting a green hat once finances improve, so if there are new patches coming I will grab some of those too.

BTW the adaptive hats are a kickass idea, and surprised I had never seen it done by anyone else prior to getting My 12oz one.

I am working on the next round of hats as well as patches. Unsure if the timeline, so not sure I can recommend waiting or not waiting. There are very few hats left though. I think two of the colors are sold out with only a couple left of the others. 

And yeah, can’t take credit for patches or the hat, but think it’s m using both is a slightly different way. Looking forward to really building that side of things out further as I get further along. Glad you dig it. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, misteraven said:

I am working on the next round of hats as well as patches. Unsure if the timeline, so not sure I can recommend waiting or not waiting. There are very few hats left though. I think two of the colors are sold out with only a couple left of the others. 

And yeah, can’t take credit for patches or the hat, but think it’s m using both is a slightly different way. Looking forward to really building that side of things out further as I get further along. Glad you dig it. 

Yeah they are sick. I was rocking a stickman or the skullnbones and one of the logo patches for a while in a sort of "10" configuration for the longest time but I buried the Memento Mori patch in the sand at Pyramids beach in a sort of ritual and have just reverted to the wolf grey patch for the time being.

I will most likely wait for new hats based on finances and the fact I need to drop $1k on My van tomorrow to get moving again thanks to Me being unaware that parts for a 20 year old Toyota are $$$$ when I chose to buy one. 

• Like 2

Very specifically controlling environmental conditions to optimize production and quality on press. In the shot below, we’re using an industrial atomizer to bump humidity levels since we had water based inks on press. Goal to be between 45% - 60% humidity so the ink flows nicest and avoids dot loss from ink slowly drying in screens. Just another step in our efforts to maintain and deliver the utmost quality. 

IMG_3372.jpeg

• Props 4

You know your craft.  So many people in industry fail to realize or just simply neglect how important environment control dictated the out outcome quality of a product little lone the same controlled inviroment maintains machinery to perform at its best.

• Truth 1

Yes we do vinyl stickers as well. Here’s an advanced peak at something coming pretty soon. 12ozProphet community here on the forum gets the first look but Gusto and myself will be announcing this pretty soon. He rocked this classic art and I think we did him justice translating his art into a super impressive little sticker jam. (pictures don’t even do it justice tbh). 

Another step towards the return of the 12ozProphet brand. 

Likewise, next week we’ll be doing a free sticker give away on the 12ozProphet Instagram and here on the forum so stay tuned (no, not for the stickers here, which will also be announced and made available separately). Anyhow, planning to start pushing new stickers pretty hard soon, but we also offer this as a service for anyone interested (100 piece minimum). 

IMG_3492.jpeg

IMG_3488.jpeg

IMG_3507.jpeg

IMG_3504.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Snitch 1
  • Props 2

I’m not a fan of commodity production. I try to approach production with intention and craft. For that reason, I don’t ship tees in bulk / printer folds. That’s when they take a take a stack (usually 10 or 12) and fold in half and then dump into a box (rarely a lined or bagged box). Instead, we mechanically fold everything by default. We allow clients to choose whether they want to bag and label (extra charge), but if a client doesn’t care enough about their brand to fold them neat and precisely, they really aren’t the right fit for our facility. 

Here’s a video of us doing some fold / bag / labeling for my friend Andy Stumpf from Cleared Hot Podcast. We are able to track garments individually down our folding line through a series of sensors, which can be configured so that each item is labeled individually (example, if they need to be numbered, serialized or individually personalized). We can fold at a rate up to 800 pieces an hour and program everything from fold lines, final fold size, wait times, pressures and stack heights. We also build the bag on the fly, in real time and can also program in final bag size according to any spec supplied by a client or fulfillment center. We can then auto label, which is also computer controlled, to generate any label detail / art needed, as well as precisely place the label wherever instructed; front, back and any part of either side. 

Anyhow, this is what it looks like in action…

On 3/9/2024 at 10:24 AM, misteraven said:

Very specifically controlling environmental conditions to optimize production and quality on press. In the shot below, we’re using an industrial atomizer to bump humidity levels since we had water based inks on press. Goal to be between 45% - 60% humidity so the ink flows nicest and avoids dot loss from ink slowly drying in screens. Just another step in our efforts to maintain and deliver the utmost quality. 

IMG_3372.jpeg

Ahhhhh man, and here I thought you were being a cool boss pumping in fresh ganja smoke ting for da 12oz Collective Massive.

• LOL! 2

Had to spam the fuck out of reactions because these updates are craaaazy.

Thinking about how you maintain that level of precision and detail for all those production processes makes my god damn head spin.

Respect for going through the fire and doing it your way - inspiring as hell.

Looking forward to seeing the updates go public, and hey... if a man wants to put in an order for sticker service, is it best to go through the Collective or what?

Cheers man!

• Like 2
  • Truth 1

7 hours ago, ClownPrince said:

Had to spam the fuck out of reactions because these updates are craaaazy.

Thinking about how you maintain that level of precision and detail for all those production processes makes my god damn head spin.

Respect for going through the fire and doing it your way - inspiring as hell.

Looking forward to seeing the updates go public, and hey... if a man wants to put in an order for sticker service, is it best to go through the Collective or what?

Cheers man!

Thank you for all the kind words. I appreciate it. Ha! I never thought to add contact information for anyone interested, but yeah for anyone looking for details on services or questions… Email info@12ozcollective dot com. You should get a response in no more than 1 work day (usually sooner). If not, message me. 

But yeah, we do stickers for anyone interested. 100 piece minimum. 

• Like 2
  • Props 1

1 hour ago, misteraven said:

Fun little video showcasing our ability to embroidery. Fun fact: My son digitized and stitched this out. He actually runs the embroidery / Coloreel side of things. 

Anyhow, you guys get to see the video first. Enjoy!

12ozCollective_Kanye.mov 33.24 MB · 0 downloads  

That's some good quality!  Props to your kid!

So you get contracts with some high-end designers, heh?  Sounds like you have the market cornered considering these companies can manufacture things here opposed to manufacturing in other countries where it may seem cheaper then putting the products on a boat due to the increased risks the shipping industry is becoming more and more of a high value target due to geopolitics and other global crises.  Looks like you have an advantage leveraging  companies with a piece of mind as a sales pitch.  

Idk, just something that came to mind. 

• Like 2