New Screenprinting Facility - 12ozProphet 2019 and forward (personal rant and pseudo 12oz state of the union)

misteraven

Just now, IHATEU said:

i never saw this thread. what a great facility you built literally from the ground up. thats dedication. it looks amazing man. from the construction all the way to the state of the art machines you are using. 

respect... 

Thanks man. Appreciate the kind words. Was definitely a ton of work. Now to build the client list work. 

Again, if anyone is doing print buys or knows someone that does... Shoot me a PM. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • 1 month later...

@NightmareOnElmStreetSorry for not replying earlier, just seeing this.

Really its not worth the time to put something in press that is less than 100 pieces, but in truth probably 400+ is where it starts to be a decent gig. The press has a top speed of 1000 pieces an hour, though more realistically, production speed is 450 - 700 pieces an hour. Takes a good while to setup, depending on the complexity of the job.

Thats not to say we don't take small jobs of 100 pieces but being 100% transparent, its not really sustainable on my end to run small jobs.

Kind of like using a Bugatti to deliver newspapers.

• Like 1
  • Truth 1
  • Props 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, ndv said:

@misteraven

Do you guys screen print Industrial work?  Control panels, boxes and such?  

PM me your capabilities.  Most of the work varies in size.  

Being honest, what we print on really doesn't matter up to a degree. After that, its just a matter of extra parts and configuration. Press we have is the top computer driven auto press on the market (tightest tolerances) and I imagine some presses out there are probably focused on this especially.

That said, I suppose us running it is a matter of how big the opportunity is. At the very least, its going to require specialty inks (assuming oil based) and some reconfiguration. Depending on what it is, we might need to make some modifications, so really comes down to whether its a just a couple needed or if you're a manufacturer or something and doing a steady volume on going.

Regardless, private message me some detail if you'd like to discuss.

28 minutes ago, mr.yuck said:

If I order 4 or 500 pieces can i mix and match sizes and mens womens cuts and stay in close to the same price range per unit?

Private message me or email, but as long as the print remains the same, it doesn't really matter what size or cut / style the garment is. In fact, its a minimal settings change to go from tees to sweatshirts if its the same print, which is something we do pretty regularly.

• Like 5

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/4/2020 at 10:04 AM, Deine Mudder said:

Hey @misteravenare there going to be more 12oz t-shirts this summer? Do you have any plans for white ones? Do you ship to Europe?

Thanks!

Hey man, yes we regularly ship to Europe. (we dont upcharge shipping and do include extra stickers and stuff since you guys get charged quite a bit by the USPS).

This summer sort of went side ways since we got mega slammed by a big a client we'd been talking to, as well as a few other clients that have ramped up. That's why I've been MIA the last two months. Literally putting in 90hr work weeks and only now starting to see light at the end of the tunnel. I have some new patches in the works including a new packaging solution to them, as well as a ton of concepts, but likely those will start to roll out in Fall since I just dont have time personally or on press for a little while longer. Can definitely still use a hand, but we're getting things done.

• Truth 1
  • Props 1

On 3/3/2020 at 10:08 PM, pissdrunkwhat?! said:

Man I love the flicks of the operation. I still have my 4 color manual press. Wish I could help out. I can definitely attest to the quality.

Thanks man. Yeah, its been a wild ride, but we're producing pretty nice stuff on press and its been steady getting dialed in even tighter with every job.

• Like 1

not gonna lie @misteraveni have a good friend of mine who is extremely interested in getting a screen printing business going. he basically has the means and the funds while im mainly the creative aspect of it all. with this whole covid thing happening i lost my job in fine dining and probably wont be returning until spring 2021 IF that. at first i wasnt completely sold on it but with all these signs ive been seeing lately along with actually reading through this thread you've definitely given me some inspiration and confidence to follow through with it. props all the way around my dude for everything you've accomplished so far and will continue to accomplish im excited to see what else you got coming man. are there any tips, advice or recommendations on supplies needed to start out perhaps? i know you're busy with orders but if you ever get a chance or some free time shoot me a pm if you can it'd be greatly appreciated. keep up the great work man!

also if anyone out there happens to have an extra ch.0 forum tee hollaatchaboooiiiii..!

(i highly doubt it though but its worth a shot)

Edited by Tails0nE

On 8/11/2020 at 12:00 PM, Tails0nE said:

not gonna lie @misteraveni have a good friend of mine who is extremely interested in getting a screen printing business going. he basically has the means and the funds while im mainly the creative aspect of it all. with this whole covid thing happening i lost my job in fine dining and probably wont be returning until spring 2021 IF that. at first i wasnt completely sold on it but with all these signs ive been seeing lately along with actually reading through this thread you've definitely given me some inspiration and confidence to follow through with it. props all the way around my dude for everything you've accomplished so far and will continue to accomplish im excited to see what else you got coming man. are there any tips, advice or recommendations on supplies needed to start out perhaps? i know you're busy with orders but if you ever get a chance or some free time shoot me a pm if you can it'd be greatly appreciated. keep up the great work man!

also if anyone out there happens to have an extra ch.0 forum tee hollaatchaboooiiiii..!

(i highly doubt it though but its worth a shot)

Appreciate the kind words. As far as advice, Its too broad a question and too long an answer. Depends on your resources and your ambitions. I can certainly say that there's a ton of moving parts and a wide array of skills that you'll need to learn and apply effectively to get to a final result. If you ask more specific questions I'll answer as best as I can. 

• 1 year later...

I just posted a rant regarding an incident at the shop today but realized I really haven’t updated and spilled the news on where things are at these days. Anyhow, today was a long brutal day and I’m typing this shit on my iPhone, so I’ll drop a photo and note that I’ll loop back soon with pictures and updates. Long story short, we’ve come a long way in a relatively short period of time. Here’s a photo of my wife standing close to center of the production side of our new shop. We’ve been working on it all year and expect to be moving into it in December. If anyone has screen printing experience, knows someone that does or is interested in stepping into a new adventure and working their way into a career in print production… Hit me up. Depending on qualification, talent and attitude, I’ll help you move out. Lots of growth opportunity while working on very cool stuff in a state of the art shop. 

6CAFE0B0-AFF0-4560-B23B-DEA3C072329A.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Props 5
  • LOL! 1

• 2 years later...

12oz Adventure Club sticker is dope! Would be a cool shirt.

Is the Forum part of the Collective? Or is the Collective just that side of the business?

You wrapped a robot dog?! Vast. Did you interact with that thing? What’s the story behind that vehicle and robot dog? Some adventurer group?

It is absolutely mind blowing that you created a facility like this. Really interesting and inspiring stuff. What’s the size of your current staff?

• Truth 3

2 minutes ago, LUGR said:

12oz Adventure Club sticker is dope! Would be a cool shirt.

Is the Forum part of the Collective? Or is the Collective just that side of the business?

You wrapped a robot dog?! Vast. Did you interact with that thing? What’s the story behind that vehicle and robot dog? Some adventurer group?

It is absolutely mind blowing that you created a facility like this. Really interesting and inspiring stuff. What’s the size of your current staff?

12oz Adventure Club was just a fun little unofficial thing we did at work. Plan was a camping trip, which ended up not happening. I quickly designed that graphic up and we made about 30 stickers and deal was that if you came camping, you could join the club and have a sticker. Anyhow, I'll definitely bring that back once there's no more snow. Definitely would be a cool t-shirt.

12ozCollective is the name of the business. It's an R&D facility slack creative studio that does high-level garment decorating for select clients that need to differentiate themselves at retail. We focus on the type of stuff, normally sent off to Japan, Italy, France or Portugal and created an on shore solution to clients depending on vendors / manufacturers focused on craftsmanship and innovation.

Yes, we own that dog. I haven't said much about it, but working with two other people on a brand called SWAE, which is similar to 12ozCollective in that its an R&D focused business, but in that case is more focused on engineering and fabrication. Ultimately the hope is to spin it off as a brand that reflects some of what we do across all these businesses. Anyhow, we reached out to Boston Dynamics and have been working with them on some concepts. We own that particular robot and have been doing a bunch of R&D and conceptual stuff with it. The Land Rover belongs to my partner and he asked for a cool concept for a wrap. I'm sort of a camouflage nerd and vibing off the fact that the vehicle is British, decided to explore a theme based around WW1 era dazzle patterns that was used by the British Navy. That era predates radar so German U-boats had to use observation and math to try and lead the torpedos to sink the ships. The dazzle patterns made that a lot harder since it Wass near impossible to judge angles and direction. The pop of orange on the back is one of the primary brand colors for SWAE. Anyhow, I wanted to lock up the robot to the vehicle so we wrapped the custom eco skeleton we made for it with the same dazzle graphic. Ultimately, the plan is to build out a capsule collection of mostly tees that bring it all together.

Thanks for the kind words man. Been a lot of work and a crazy amount of stress, but stepping back and sharing it and also seeing people's reactions is a reminder of how far it's all come. Sometimes it I'm too close to it all and lose sight since I'm in the trenches daily.

• Like 2
  • Props 4

37 minutes ago, LUGR said:

Remember when you were getting this all started digging up and fixing your own plumbing. You have come A LONG way! Assume that was at a different location though 😂.

Yeah man, literally started in the garage / workshop on my property. Me and @salchich-pepin dug the trenches and laid in all the writing and plumbing, put up walls and lights etc. Pretty nuts seeing it all, but we're still working on it. Never ends...

• Props 1