How to browse the internet without being spied on.

Mercer

The method used to brute force through an encrypted volume is brilliantly simple. Instead of brute forcing the device, you simply mirror the encrypted data and brute force that. So when trigger the threshold to self destruct, assuming there is one, it’s a copy. Just mirror it again and pickup where you left off. Would assume it slows the process down a bit, but isn’t the safe guard it was supposed to be. 

but in regards to the case in question, it was hacked by a third party: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/FBI%E2%80%93Apple_encryption_dispute

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Little Snitch

Link: https://www.obdev.at/products/littlesnitch/index.html

As soon as you’re connected to the Internet, applications can potentially send whatever they want to wherever they want. Most often they do this to your benefit. But sometimes, like in case of tracking software, trojans or other malware, they don’t. But you don’t notice anything, because all of this happens invisibly under the hood.

Little Snitch

makes these Internet connections visible and puts you back in control!

7572C1D4-2F4D-43CC-9362-08E0EF07A377.png.543ebb84eb54080252c1a6ab6fa579a3.png

• Truth 1

7 hours ago, diggity said:

@MercerI also use to use little snitch back in the day. currently my work is paying for adobe so i didn't think there was much need of it.

probably need to get it running again. 

Same here sort of, I was able to score a semi-legit subscription via a friend with actual keys (He works in an IT department and is in charge of all the Macs). I kept it around after just to see what's going on. Every once in a while I'll download/install potentially sketchy software related to crypto, and need to be able to see what it's connecting to. You can get granular with it for each app, and allow the necessary connections while denying any unnecessary ones. For example I have a free cryto ticker with live updates, it can connect o exchanges to get the price, but I'm denying 2 connections to Yahoo API and someplace else that I'n not sure why it would need to connect.

When my favorite 32 bit screen saver (Defcon) stopped working after switching to 64 bit, I downloaded another screen saver as a replacement and it was def a bad move, it constantly wanted to connect to Ukraine for no reason and was malware.

• 2 weeks later...

Google allegedly misled consumers on collection and use of location data

The ACCC has instituted proceedings in the Federal Court against Google LLC and Google Australia Pty Ltd (together, Google), alleging they engaged in misleading conduct and made false or misleading representations to consumers about the personal location data Google collects, keeps and uses.

The ACCC claims that from at least January 2017, Google breached the Australian Consumer Law when it made on-screen representations on Android mobile phones and tablets that the ACCC alleges misled consumers about the location data Google collected or used when certain Google Account settings were enabled or disabled. 

The representations were made to consumers setting up a Google Account on their Android mobile phones and tablets, and to consumers who later accessed their Google Account settings through their Android mobile phones and tablets.

“We are taking court action against Google because we allege that as a result of these on-screen representations, Google has collected, kept and used highly sensitive and valuable personal information about consumers’ location without them making an informed choice,” ACCC Chair Rod Sims said.

Collection of data representation

The ACCC’s case regarding the collection of location data focuses on two Google Account settings: one labelled ‘Location History’; and another labelled ‘Web & App Activity’.

The ACCC alleges that from January 2017 until late 2018, it was misleading for Google to not properly disclose to consumers that both settings had to be switched off if consumers didn’t want Google to collect, keep and use their location data.

Instead, the ACCC alleges that when consumers set up a Google Account on their Android phone or tablet, consumers would have incorrectly believed, based on Google’s conduct, that ‘Location History’ was the only Google Account setting that affected whether Google collected, kept or used data about their location.

Similarly, if consumers later accessed their Google Account settings on their Android device, Google did not inform them that by leaving ‘Web & App Activity’ switched on, Google would continue to collect location data.

“Our case is that consumers would have understood as a result of this conduct that by switching off their ‘Location History’ setting, Google would stop collecting their location data, plain and simple,” Mr Sims said.

“We allege that Google misled consumers by staying silent about the fact that another setting also had to be switched off.”

“Many consumers make a conscious decision to turn off settings to stop the collection of their location data, but we allege that Google’s conduct may have prevented consumers from making that choice.”

The ACCC also alleges that from around mid-2018 until late 2018, Google represented to consumers that the only way they could prevent Google from collecting, keeping and using their location data was to stop using certain Google services, including Google Search and Google Maps. However, this could be achieved by switching off both ‘Location History’ and ‘Web & App Activity’.

Use of data representation

The ACCC also alleges that Google’s on-screen statements explaining how location data would be used when customers accessed their ‘Location History’ and ‘Web & App Activity’ settings were misleading.

From March 2017 when a consumer accessed the ‘Web & App Activity’ settings, and from May 2018 when a consumer accessed the ‘Location History’ setting, Google displayed on-screen messages that represented that location data would only be collected and used by Google for the consumer’s use of Google services.

Google did not disclose that the data may be used by Google for a number of other purposes unrelated to the consumer’s use of Google’s services.

“We consider that because of Google’s failure to disclose this use of data, consumers were and still are deprived of the opportunity to make an informed choice about whether to share their personal location data with Google,” Mr Sims said.

“Transparency and inadequate disclosure issues involving digital platforms and consumer data were a major focus of our Digital Platforms Inquiry, and remain one of the ACCC’s top priorities.”

By making the collection and use of data representations, the ACCC alleges that Google also engaged in conduct liable to mislead the public about the nature, characteristics and suitability for purpose of the Android operating system, Google services and Google Pixel phones.

The ACCC is seeking penalties, declarations and orders requiring the publication of corrective notices and the establishment of a compliance program.

Background:

Google LLC is a multinational company incorporated in the United States with its headquarters in Mountain View, California. It is a subsidiary of Alphabet Inc.

Google Australia Pty Ltd is a subsidiary of Google LLC and conducts certain aspects of Google LLC’s business in Australia, including the distribution of Pixel phones.

In addition to its use in providing consumers with Google Services, such as Google Maps, Google also uses location data for advertising purposes, which include:

• to personalise advertisements for other users;
  • to infer demographic information;
  • to measure the performance of advertisements;
  • to promote, offer to supply or supply advertising services to third parties; and/or
  • to produce anonymized, aggregated statistics (such as store visit conversions statistics) and share those statistics with advertisers.

Google LLC supplies a range of software products and services to Australian consumers, including:

• the Google Play Store;
  • Google Search;
  • Google Chrome;
  • Google Maps;
  • Gmail; and
  • YouTube.

These services are accessed using Google Accounts. Some of them, such as the Google Play Store, can only be accessed if a consumer has signed into a Google Account, while others, such as YouTube, have less functionality if the user has not signed in.

The default setting for new Google Accounts is for “Location History” to be turned “off” (or “paused”) and the “Web & App Activity” setting to be turned “on”. 

If “Location History” is turned “on”, Google regularly collects and keeps personal data relating to the user’s location. However, even if “Location History” is turned off, when the Web & App Activity setting is turned “on”, Google obtains and keeps personal data relating to the user’s activities on Google apps and services, including personal data in relation to the user’s location.

The ACCC’s Digital Platforms Inquiry final report recommended that privacy legislation be strengthened, including by:

• updating the definition of “personal information” in the Privacy Act to clarify that it captures technical data such as IP addresses, device identifiers, location data, and any other online identifiers that may be used to identify an individual; and
  • strengthening notification and consent requirements to ensure consumers can make informed decisions about the personal data they allow digital platforms to collect.

Examples:

The examples below are hypothetical and outline how the ACCC alleges Google’s conduct may have allowed Google to collect data when “Location History” was switched off.

Hypothetical Example A

John uses the Google Maps app on his Android phone to get directions from his office in Sydney’s CBD to Archibald Fountain in Hyde Park. John opens the Google Maps app and manually enters “Archibald Fountain, Hyde Park” as the destination. Following directions given by Google Maps and holding his mobile device, John walks from his office to Archibald Fountain.

Google saves data about John’s location in his Google Account even though “Location History” was switched off because leaving on “Web & App activity” allowed Google to save this data through John’s use of Google Maps.

Hypothetical Example B

Mary is at a shopping centre in Townsville. She opens the Google Assistant app on her Android phone and uses the voice recognition functionality to ask “Where is the post office?” As part of this activity, Google saves data about Mary’s location in her Google Account even though “Location History” was switched off because leaving on “Web & App activity” allowed Google to save this data through Mary’s use of the Google Assistant service.

Images

Data collection representation

The below images show a version of the description of the Location History and Web & App Activity settings shown to consumers setting up a Google Account on their Android mobile device between 30 April 2018 and 19 December 2018:

Image%201.png
Image%202.png

The below image shows a statement shown to consumers who used their Android mobile device to turn off (or “pause”) the Location History setting between early 2017 and late 2018:

Image%203.png
The below images show statements shown to consumers who used their Android mobile device to access the Web & App Activity setting between early 2017 and late 2018:

Image%204.jpg

Image%205.png
Data use representation

The below image shows a statement shown to consumers who used their Android mobile device to turn off (or “pause”) the Location History setting from late 2018 to date.

Imge%206.jpg
The below image shows a statement shown to consumers who accessed the Web & App Activity setting from late 2018 to date:

Image%207.jpg
The attached document below contains the ACCC’s initiating court documents in relation to this matter. We will not be uploading further documents in the event these initial documents are subsequently amended.
Edited by Hua Guofang

• 1 month later...

Wondering how we can better organize some of these discussions? Obviously gets overwhelming to read through countless pages, but likewise the discussion is all valid. Wondering if its once again, worth kicking off a group for so we can split topics under one umbrella?

In any case, I came up on this project today - BCM Messenger - https://bcm.social/

Security, Privacy, Blockchain

BCM is a highly secure communication platform. Each message is strictly encrypted, and no third party can decipher the content.

Until I saw this, I was pretty hype on Telegram, which was previously the most secure messaging platform I was aware of. But looking at the credentials and testimonials for this one, seems to be on an entirely other level. Only thing missing compared to Telegram is a desktop client that mirrors discussions. Saw no mentioned of that as being a plan.

Anyhow, if anyone wants to hit me up, here's my QR contact. Figured maybe that would help people try it out.

IMG_8265.thumb.JPG.030cf8b0b869897f3b1736d2383f3578.JPG

• Props 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/11/2019 at 11:03 AM, misteraven said:

Wondering how we can better organize some of these discussions? Obviously gets overwhelming to read through countless pages, but likewise the discussion is all valid. Wondering if its once again, worth kicking off a group for so we can split topics under one umbrella?

In any case, I came up on this project today - BCM Messenger - https://bcm.social/

Security, Privacy, Blockchain

BCM is a highly secure communication platform. Each message is strictly encrypted, and no third party can decipher the content.

Until I saw this, I was pretty hype on Telegram, which was previously the most secure messaging platform I was aware of. But looking at the credentials and testimonials for this one, seems to be on an entirely other level. Only thing missing compared to Telegram is a desktop client that mirrors discussions. Saw no mentioned of that as being a plan.

Anyhow, if anyone wants to hit me up, here's my QR contact. Figured maybe that would help people try it out.

Yo! Telegram is NOT secure! At all! That is the messaging app that intel agencies lure extremists to because it's so easy for them to crack. 
Personal experience (not on the bad guy side of things). 

Edited by lord_casek
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/4/2020 at 3:16 PM, auf said:

What is privacy 2020?

Privacy in 2020 is hosting your own mail server with good secure practices in place (think "HRC's" email server, we didn't get shit from that even though we knew there was shit to get there.)

Privacy in 2020 is having a phone you can remove the battery from or leaving your phone at home when you go places, and never having a conversation around it you don't want to be recorded by it's microphone (next to nobody does this).

Privacy in 2020 is not using social media period.... for anything.

Privacy in 2020 is blocking java scripts that websites attempt to load on your browser.

Privacy in 2020 is using encrypted, non-ISP hosted DNS servers to resolve the domains you choose to visit.

Privacy in 2020 is not driving your car anywhere that your license plate could be recorded by LPR technology.... so basically don't drive anywhere.

Privacy in 2020 is wearing gloves when you touch anything that your fingerprint could be lifted off of.

Privacy in 2020 is using a pitch modulator on your voice when you speak on any electronic device (your phone).

Privacy in 2020 is wearing a face mask outside your house so that your face cannot be identified by facial recognition cameras.

In short, you have to stay inside your house and either ride your bicycle or get rides from other people.  Don't contact these people for rides using your phone, use smoke signals only or a can w/ string attached to their can w/ string.

What I'm saying is, nothing you do is private anymore.  The lengths you have to go to remain private basically removes your and excludes you from the rest of society.

• Truth 1

• 1 month later...

"Privacy in 2020 is hosting your own mail server with good secure practices in place (think "HRC's" email server, we didn't get shit from that even though we knew there was shit to get there.)"

NSA scoops up EVERYTHING (and so did other nations, but they paid to scoop). Hard to release it to the public and explain yourself. "Yeah, we have every bit and byte that goes through the internet."

My favorite method for remaining somewhat anonymous is to poison the well. Pretend you like something that you don't like at all on social media. 
Just one post about it poisons the data well. Pretend you're interested for a week and you've messed up their whole dataset on you. 

• Props 1

24 minutes ago, lord_casek said:

"Privacy in 2020 is hosting your own mail server with good secure practices in place (think "HRC's" email server, we didn't get shit from that even though we knew there was shit to get there.)"

NSA scoops up EVERYTHING (and so did other nations, but they paid to scoop). Hard to release it to the public and explain yourself. "Yeah, we have every bit and byte that goes through the internet."

My favorite method for remaining somewhat anonymous is to poison the well. Pretend you like something that you don't like at all on social media. 
Just one post about it poisons the data well. Pretend you're interested for a week and you've messed up their whole dataset on you. 

Damn, dude where you been?

2 hours ago, misteraven said:

I agree.  

Been doing this for years now, from computer to cell phone.  I just wonder if it really does throw off the system?  How does it effect FBI Profiling if any at all?  

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

@NightmareOnElmStreet  I have been using brave for a good yeah now on both PC and mobile,  and do not have any issues other than the password thing which I may have caused myself.  I think you will like it because Brave and duck duck go serch engine gives you more control over cookie data and a few other security clauses than your bing, google counterparts. 

However, if you are looking for a more technical answer I would direct those questions to a few oontzers here in this form that probably could better explain algorithms much more better than I could because mine would be a guess at best.

I just wish brave had a vpn extension handler like Tor Browser has Orbot.  other than that brave keeps away a bunch of trackers.  as you can see below this is an example of my internet use 

image.png.c5a46ccd4315ad7526165d8d7377ef8e.png  

• Props 1

I don't know shit about the advanced/technical aspect. i just know its probably stupid as hell to have both safari AND chrome on my mac. I realize more and more how computer illiterate I am. Compared to ages ago when i first started coming around here and you actually needed to use a little bit of code to upload things or tweak a little. Seems like im just a doof now. 

• Like 1
  • LOL! 1

You're cool man. I am in the same boat, I just do my research and any technical jargon I do not understand stand, ill look it up so I can at least follow what little I understand and then go from there.   I think it wise to at least have two browsers, one for oh crap moments and one for everyday go to.  Kinda like what happened to me with the password thing.  

• Like 1
  • Props 1

You're cool man. I am in the same boat, I just do my research and any technical jargon I do not understand stand, ill look it up so I can at least follow what little I understand and then go from there.   I think it wise to at least have two browsers, one for oh crap moments and one for everyday go to.  Kinda like what happened to me with the password thing.  

• 3 months later...