How to browse the internet without being spied on.

Mercer

Well this is nice

Apple contractors 'regularly hear confidential details' on Siri recordings

Workers hear drug deals, medical details and people having sex, says whistleblower

Apple contractors regularly hear confidential medical information, drug deals, and recordings of couples having sex, as part of their job providing quality control, or “grading”, the company’s Siri voice assistant, the Guardian has learned.

Although Apple does not explicitly disclose it in its consumer-facing privacy documentation, a small proportion of Siri recordings are passed on to contractors working for the company around the world. They are tasked with grading the responses on a variety of factors, including whether the activation of the voice assistant was deliberate or accidental, whether the query was something Siri could be expected to help with and whether Siri’s response was appropriate.

Apple says the data “is used to help Siri and dictation … understand you better and recognise what you say”.

But the company does not explicitly state that that work is undertaken by humans who listen to the pseudonymised recordings.

Apple told the Guardian: “A small portion of Siri requests are analysed to improve Siri and dictation. User requests are not associated with the user’s Apple ID. Siri responses are analysed in secure facilities and all reviewers are under the obligation to adhere to Apple’s strict confidentiality requirements.” The company added that a very small random subset, less than 1% of daily Siri activations, are used for grading, and those used are typically only a few seconds long.

A whistleblower working for the firm, who asked to remain anonymous due to fears over their job, expressed concerns about this lack of disclosure, particularly given the frequency with which accidental activations pick up extremely sensitive personal information.

Siri can be accidentally activated when it mistakenly hears its “wake word”, the phrase “hey Siri”. Those mistakes can be understandable – a BBC interview about Syria was interrupted by the assistant last year – or less so. “The sound of a zip, Siri often hears as a trigger,” the contractor said. The service can also be activated in other ways. For instance, if an Apple Watch detects it has been raised and then hears speech, Siri is automatically activated.

The whistleblower said: “There have been countless instances of recordings featuring private discussions between doctors and patients, business deals, seemingly criminal dealings, sexual encounters and so on. These recordings are accompanied by user data showing location, contact details, and app data.”

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/jul/26/apple-contractors-regularly-hear-confidential-details-on-siri-recordings

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
On 7/22/2019 at 11:25 PM, misteraven said:

How is it so far?

It’s now my primary browser on all devices. On mobile, I keep pages to key sections open and swap between then quickly. Almost feels like a dedicated 12oz App. Again, highly recommend you guys give it a go. 

Link: https://brave.com/ozp230

I’m starting to see little issues. Selecting, selecting all to copy and delete are troublesome at times. My passcode seems to autofill and i have to delete it every time in order to enter it properly, mild nuisance but a nuisance nonetheless

It saves replies on 12oz if the tab or browser is closed which is actually good at times, if i get pulled to something else and have to come back later and a pain at times if i have to slowly delete a long winded response because i cant select all. 

Overall i still like it and use it mostly. I have been switching back to Safari for little things. It also helps if i’m researching things and have multiple sites and tabs going at once. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey m using it as my primary on mobile and desktop. I’ve noticed some quirks, but suspect it has to do with the browsers security since it’s disabling some code on most websites. Especially JavaScript stuff since it’s usually used for ads and tracking. Noticed with shields up, news sites will hardly even be readable. Was on a Complex the other day checking something and was almost a blank page. 

• 2 weeks later...

If I take a pic with my phone, post it to oontz, delete pic from phone, refresh oontz and then download image from oontz - is my metadata still in the Pic? Geotag/phone type etc? 

1 hour ago, KILZ FILLZ said:

If I take a pic with my phone, post it to oontz, delete pic from phone, refresh oontz and then download image from oontz - is my metadata still in the Pic? Geotag/phone type etc? 

No. We strip all meta data excluding tags for orientation.

That said, there's ways to identify an image that could help identify some more specific data about the device. For example, knowing the pixel count would help identify what generation device it was taken on. But geo tags and device ID's and very specific identifying data like that is stripped off upon upload.

• 3 weeks later...

Mercer,

I downloaded the Brave Browser and duckduckgo extension and the Tor browser, on one of my pcs and on one of my cell phones.  I am getting my ducks lined up in a row, and then went a little further to increase my anonymity and created a protonmail email account.   I have now hit a crossroad for a VPN subscription,  I am leaning towards cyberghost, but I do not want to use one of my cc since it does tie-in to my identity.  

So here is my question;  Can I just pick up a gift card and use that as a method of payment for my VPN subscription?   Are gist cards from local retailers acceptable for VPN payments?

T-I-A for your feedback!

On 10/1/2019 at 10:25 AM, ndv said:

Mercer,

I downloaded the Brave Browser and duckduckgo extension and the Tor browser, on one of my pcs and on one of my cell phones.  I am getting my ducks lined up in a row, and then went a little further to increase my anonymity and created a protonmail email account.   I have now hit a crossroad for a VPN subscription,  I am leaning towards cyberghost, but I do not want to use one of my cc since it does tie-in to my identity.  

So here is my question;  Can I just pick up a gift card and use that as a method of payment for my VPN subscription?   Are gist cards from local retailers acceptable for VPN payments?

T-I-A for your feedback!

cc: @Mercer

some even accept crypto currency but yes... Visa gift cards are no different than Visa cards in terms of acceptance and how they spend. If a service, any service, accepts it, it should be fine. Exception might be in how they do the AVS check to verify billing detail in the fraud check. But if you want to be 100% sure, email the service and just ask. Tell them your concern and ask them their suggestions on it. Their business is privacy and they want more customers so I’m sure they’d be happy to help you sort that out. 

14 hours ago, misteraven said:

Oh and glad you’re posting. I see that you joined a year ago, but cool when people join in instead of lurking. 

@misteravenThank you for your feedback.   I cannot remember how stumbled upon 12oz, it was probably something I was looking up under the word 'anti' of some sort and came across Kidult and his vision then next thing I know I am signing up to 12oz.  

• Like 1

On 10/1/2019 at 12:25 PM, ndv said:

Mercer,

T-I-A for your feedback!

Steps1and2.jpg.5c4a8d7e36f0494b1e6b6b896de9742c.jpgSteps3and4.jpg.b90cd369509574d6a2e7a50c43f257a3.jpg

This was a good question and I left the conversation here, this is the best deal going right now, Nord VPN.

Best route to achieving anonymous payments is through a throwaway, or single use email address and crypto.

Purchasing crypto (anonymously) is fairly easy.

45 minutes ago, misteraven said:

True but everything adds up after a while. Will throw down on this when I get a little more solid with everything else. I do wonder why this isn't just built into the experience of being online in general. I'd imagine at some point it'll be free like long distance is. 

What's your experience with it so far? Any noticeable change in speed? 

Yes, there are times I notice a change of speed, depends on which node I'm using. I'd imagine if you're not on  For a long time I set my phone to Japan to use Binance when they blocked US customers and was pissed some of my apps got slow, forgot all packets were bouncing all the way over to Seoul Korea 24/7, and back as far as my phone was concerned.

Desktop I tend to connect to Iceland, and here are the comparisons on speed test with/without using an Icelandic IP address just now.

2109912026_ScreenShot2019-10-09at11_48_14AM.png.ece3d227533cb9c532d3e2fee60d2e8b.png

With VPN on (Iceland)

693348043_ScreenShot2019-10-09at11_49_19AM.png.0bddb6d1a1b484f910dda600b2fa275c.png

With VPN off.

The noticeable improvement in upload speed with VPN on was most likely due to inconsistency on a local bottleneck. From past experience my upload is slow enough without VPN, to not be affected by turning on VPN since it's already pretty slow. The noticeable drop in download speed is more consistent with my past tests results. 165 for this time of day here is still very fast considering I'm on a nearly decade old mac mini, now doubt routing this high speed through Iceland would slow that down by about half.

As far as why it's not built in, most ISP's don't want to give up a profitable resource (your recorded internet activity) with it's infinite possible revenue streams. It wouldn't make sense for them to give that up this resource willingly, for a price that beats VPN services at least. Even offering such a feature would be a bad look for an ISP, guaranteed to draw ire from an otherwise oblivious, mouth breathing public, unaware their private thoughts, aka internet activity is being recorded and auctioned off to the highest bidders.

You know.  These types of articles are some of the random things I think about from time to time.  Like how cell phones are the number one tool for keeping tabs on people.  And sometimes out of the blue I'll remember I have my cell with me while working as I am talking to myself.  I am like "Oh Yeah!"  Then I start telling the Faggots how I really feel since their listening.  Somebody's got to do it...  

• LOL! 2

6 minutes ago, auf said:

Install a BSD os set up a tor proxy, block all non tor packets, If you're that paranoid about being tracked. The other solution would be to not go on the internet.

I wouldn't trust any vpns to be honest.They can lie to customers and provide data to government agencies.

You could also try Live Gnu/Linux OS build strictly for private browsing.

link: https://tails.boum.org/

Thanks for the info, I appreciate the Linux link.   I was always wondering, how private can someone really be considering the fact that internet was created by the government so to speak.

There's a lot of truth to the statement above, but something to consider is that at the end of the day, there is almost always an ROI (return on investment) that gets factored into the drive to do this (or anything else).

All these layers of protection require an increasingly sophisticated skillset and computation power to achieve the same end; access to private data or the origin / destination. In fact, its often exponential amounts of computational power, like when you go from a password that is a dictionary entry to suddenly introducing special charters and numbers. Or when you go from a 6 digit password to a 32 digit password. Whereas the first might be cracked by a script kiddy with a little bandwidth and a dictionary file, the latter could take all the resources of a super computer a prohibitively long time to crack, if at all. 

Much how your own computer (or smartphone) will bog down as you run more processes, the same happens as more and more people decide to add layers of complexity / privacy to their online experience. If you're being singled out specifically, this is obviously orders of magnitude simpler, though not easy. But if you're just another user on the network sending and receiving packets of data, amongst millions of users sending and receiving packets of data and more and more of those packets are being abstracted through layers of differing encryption and then being rerouted in ways that defy standard protocol, then the task of intercepting something, reconstructing the data and then tracking it back to an origin and then a specific user, becomes a shit ton more difficult. When the vast majority of users aren't actually doing any insidious, let alone illegal, you've created a massively diminished return on the investments required to accomplish the task. That return becomes increasingly smaller to the point of simply unmanageable as more and more users on the network adopt increasingly sophisticated privacy protections.

Here's a link that discusses a little I'm referring to in regards to password from the perspective of password length being mathematically more complex than introducing randomness : https://blog.renditioninfosec.com/2017/09/password-length-or-complexity-math-says-length/

Obviously here we're discussing passwords, but a good password (random string of alphanumeric charters, variable capitalization and spacial characters in lengths over 15 characters) is an import step as its often the point of failure in most breaches. But you couple a good password, with a secure password manager (https://1password.com/), a secure and private email (https://protonmail.com/), a decent VPN that also allows for anonymous payments and accounts (https://nordvpn.com/), a secure browser (https://brave.com/ozp230), implemeting two-factor authorization when its available (the 12oz forum supports two-factor authorization) and a patched OS (especially that stores its drive encrypted and requires a password to login to, then you have a system that is exponentially more secure than the average user. Unless you're being targeted, it's simply not worth the ROI to peek at your data as it requires way too many resources for little to no gain. But when everyone else is doing the same as you, its simply becomes unmanageable as the computational power required is just not there. Even if you are being targeted, you've just bogged this down to a degree that it becomes a significant issue to access that data. 

Indeed you can install Tails (https://tails.boum.org/) which is orders of magnitude more secure (especially for PC users), but I'd suspect its overkill for most people.

• Like 1

I completely understand both sides of this.  Although, I think as @misterave had stated about computational power and investment return, very few entities have the equipment and financial resources to make it cost effective.  With that being said, you also have to make your self a target to those entities.   

Anyhow, speaking of security what are your thoughts on http://www.invisiblesecrets.com/    Personally I think the concept is cool, but I think anyone with the software who intercepts the  encrypted content could run it through the software which really doesn't make it classified. 

On 10/14/2019 at 8:50 PM, ndv said:

Anyhow, speaking of security what are your thoughts on http://www.invisiblesecrets.com/    Personally I think the concept is cool, but I think anyone with the software who intercepts the  encrypted content could run it through the software which really doesn't make it classified. 

It doesn't really do anything you couldn't do without it. Buying a dedicated device that can self destruct is probably a good option too.

9 minutes ago, NightmareOnElmStreet said:

Tech support? 

Does any of this shit have a chance on blocking these fucking scam callers🤣🧐

I heard something about the burner phone app being of use. 

are the scam callers spying on my internets🧐

Nope it's a type of war dialing like back in the day, just with robo calls. I get them all the time, can't stop em. Just hang up.

• Like 1

If you ARE being targeted there isn’t much of anything you can do to hide anyway. The best thing you can do as a netizen is just not leave bread crumbs all over the place negligently like 99% of everyone with a cell phone does. Everything @misteravensaid above is spot on in my book. 

quantum computing is going to absolutely obliterate every current form of encryption we have. The other side of the coin is that I believe it can be used to make encryption that won’t be able to be broken ever. That will

royally piss the govt off. They’ve been trying to get Apple to backdoor phones for ever and Apple keeps telling them to get fucked. Not sure if it’s true or if it’s optics and they’re giving up the data. I’d suspect it’s the former and not the latter.