Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mercer

How to browse the internet without being spied on.

On 7/15/2018 at 11:05 PM, Mercer said:

As far as instagram goes, I wish there was a Virtualbox type app you could install other apps inside and shut them down 100% when you're not using them. I'm not paranoid enough to know all the spyware apps, I just remember some of my Dev friends being like "Whoa, WTF you have facebook installed on your phone?" a couple of years ago and was convinced I should delete it. In all honesty I should delete instagram myself and just re-install if needed but I'm not ready to yet.

I just reinstall insta when I want to browse it. Its rarely installed on my phone day to day. Do some scrolling then delete it. 

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

instagram has shifted its focus on banning or tracking to "racists", not graf. you guys are off the hook because of the liberal fags who run that site, adjacent to facebook.

• FuckBoi 1
  • Nega Props 1

Delete social media. Use yahoo for emailing. Its good to set up a proxy if your modem allows it. Dont be a douche bag. Stop using chrome. I use duckduckgo(zero history tracking & no adds). Or mozilla is ok.

Edited by auf
  • Like 1

Can I run a 2nd OS on my Macbook so that I can use Pi-hole or something similar? I am a total noob to this stuff and am going to be reading through this thread to get some more knowledge, but I still want to use OSX at the same time. Do I need to run the 2nd OS as a Virtual Machine? Again I am a total noob so if anyone has any links as to where I can start to learn and educate myself about these types of things it would be appreciated, because you all know there comes times where we can no longer wait on those granny fisting videos.

20 hours ago, Mauler5150 said:

Can I run a 2nd OS on my Macbook so that I can use Pi-hole or something similar? I am a total noob to this stuff and am going to be reading through this thread to get some more knowledge, but I still want to use OSX at the same time. Do I need to run the 2nd OS as a Virtual Machine? Again I am a total noob so if anyone has any links as to where I can start to learn and educate myself about these types of things it would be appreciated, because you all know there comes times where we can no longer wait on those granny fisting videos.

Originally, I tried to make this about easy ways to browse without having all of your data collected by google/facebook/etc. Basically explained how easily you can be identified, and targeted.

The thread seemed to drift into some more extreme measures, and I might need to bring it back down to earth and on track again. We basically discussed dumping google chrome for desktop, and not having facebook, and other intrusive apps installed on your every day phone.

I suggested people use a privacy focused desktop/mobile browser like Brave: https://brave.com/

I think Raven also suggested Aloha for iPhone https://alohabrowser.com/

TOR is what you use when you don't want anyone to know what you're looking at/posting, you need to read up on best use practices before thinking you're invincible.

https://www.torproject.org/

Brave comes with TOR built in, you just open a TOR tab when you want to go 100% incognito.

All of these options are free, and user friendly so far, we  also suggested people use VPN services which do cost money but are very much worth it if you need to appear to be in another country/state, and want to go in shields up by default.

If you want privacy use tor browser. Don't use default web-browsers such as chrome or firefox, try to use forks, such as icecat. disable cookies,javascript, and only browse using https.

Also creating accounts on sites is never really a great idea ( for privacy) because  websites collect  your ipaddress.. and using a  vpn  is only as trustworthy as the service they're running from, that being said you don't know who owns the site either, they could be fbi. dont create acounts.

Also Duckduckgo is not good either, it's owned by Amazon and Amazon works with the cia so if you're doing anything notty you should probably avoid anything to do with ddg., but i don't think they give a shit about stupid vandals, they have larger targets to go after.

Duckduckgo:

It is hosted on Amazon Web Services (which has a $600 million contract with the CIA) - Gabriel Weinberg, the creator and owner formerly ran a site called NamesDatabase which encouraged people to provide valid personal details and to refer other people to give their information - "We also save searches, but again, not in a personally identifiable way, as we do not store IP addresses or unique User agent strings. We use aggregate, non-personal search data to improve things like misspellings." [1] - Despite bangs simply referring to another search engine, "Bang" queries are still send to and stored by DuckDuckGo (this could be solved with Javascript is enabled, or in one of its extensions/apps) - DuckDuckGo knows whether you're scrolling down on the page since website icons are lazy loaded - On the Hidden Service website icons are still fetched from duckduckgo.com - DNS registration information is protected by WhoisGuard - Google has released the Duck.com domain name for DuckDuckGo in 2018 - Apple (in 2014) and Mozilla (in 2018) have added DuckDuckGo as an search engine option - DuckDuckGo used to set cookies even though they said they didn't [2] - DuckDuckGo used to submit the URL you're clicking on to DuckDuckGo's servers

Personally I use 'searx' as a search engine if i use tor. i dont trust ddg.

Edited by auf

As per @Mercer's suggestion I added 12oz to the Brave Publisher's Network. Still wrapping my head around all of it, but starting to really dig their browser and thought it was an interesting idea to basically get paid to use it.

Anyhow, here's the 12ozProphet referral link if you want to give it a spin (helps 12oz and also helps you maintain your privacy online) - https://brave.com/ozp230

861529065_ScreenShot2019-06-10at2_24_46PM.png.ce1b61983b8da2efa9f22bd125e8b141.png

This is good, people can now support 12oz for free just by using brave and visiting. I think they're still giving away free BAT (for you to in turn donate) if you download brave and set up the wallet. I've had monthly payouts set up, hopefully you'll get those too soon.

I think brave users can even earn BAT to spend on themselves, for allowing/watching advertisements. At least that was the roadmap and I see "turn on ads" in the settings.

• Like 1

Hey @Mercer,  what password manager do you recommend? I'd been using 1Password for years but like most software is moving are moving to a SaS (software as service) model so you have to subscribe and pay every month. Looking for something to sync passwords and sensitive data across my various devices.

So just an update now that its been a few weeks... I'm extremely happy with Brave and have been using it as my primary browser for a few weeks. Its far superior to any options out there... Its noticeably faster and very slick and clean. You can use most chrome extensions with zero issue and really its just very, very well done. I'm also using it on my iPhone and can't believe how much of a better experience it is there also. They have a beta feature taht allows you to sync all your brave sessions across devices and are able to do it using blockchain technology, meaning your data is completely safe and like the all aspects of the browser: private and secure.

Suggest you give it a go... https://brave.com/ozp230

*And yes, that is a referral link and yes, I do get BAT credits if you use it. Being honest, I'm not sure what BAT is actually worth and suspect the 8.61 BAT I own are probably something like $0.07 but in any case... My review on Brave is genuine and not motivated by financial gain. You're playing yourself if you don't give it a go.

• Like 1

The real crazy thing to think about for me is, a lot of the habits and techniques we used 10, 15 years ago on here, as paranoid ass writers, became really invaluable in the social media era. Even if it's just a habit of not putting yourself on blast in public

For some of us... Meanwhile, other writers are live streaming their bombing missions off their *smart* phones. 

SMH

• Truth 1

Smh kids these days, back in my time benoe would have slapped your Nokia out your hand for programming what you write as a contact

• Truth 1

8 hours ago, TreSixO said:

Smh kids these days, back in my time benoe would have slapped your Nokia out your hand for programming what you write as a contact

Indeed... Wasn't long ago that people would go nuts if you entered their writer name in with their number in your phone.

Now there's endless photo streams that bounce between their graffiti, their art and pictures of their kids.

Crazy times...

• Like 3

I had to check a younger crew mate on this, because he worked at an art supply store and was always posting little canvas work of his street handstyles and bomb shit on his personal acct for work, and also using public local hashtags, and one day he accidentally went over someone he shouldnt have.  They pretty easily found out where he worked and low key threw it out there, and lil homie was all like "We got a snitch in the crew"

I was like bruh, anyone could follow those breadcrumbs, youre lucky its not vandal squad, the only snitch in the crew is you dry snitching yourself. Young kids aint wanna hear shit nowadays

• Truth 2

5 hours ago, abrasivesaint said:

Just went through the referral link, gonna give this Brave browser a try. Using it right now. 

How is it so far?

It’s now my primary browser on all devices. On mobile, I keep pages to key sections open and swap between then quickly. Almost feels like a dedicated 12oz App. Again, highly recommend you guys give it a go. 

Link: https://brave.com/ozp230

BEC46CEB-F5C8-462E-97E4-309AE6F79020.thumb.png.6de89aa18fd611845aa70986a5142228.png

Im digging it, theres little differences from ole Safari but i mean i dig it. Enough that i made it my main browser, at least for the time being. 

• Like 1

Well this is nice

Apple contractors 'regularly hear confidential details' on Siri recordings

Workers hear drug deals, medical details and people having sex, says whistleblower

Apple contractors regularly hear confidential medical information, drug deals, and recordings of couples having sex, as part of their job providing quality control, or “grading”, the company’s Siri voice assistant, the Guardian has learned.

Although Apple does not explicitly disclose it in its consumer-facing privacy documentation, a small proportion of Siri recordings are passed on to contractors working for the company around the world. They are tasked with grading the responses on a variety of factors, including whether the activation of the voice assistant was deliberate or accidental, whether the query was something Siri could be expected to help with and whether Siri’s response was appropriate.

Apple says the data “is used to help Siri and dictation … understand you better and recognise what you say”.

But the company does not explicitly state that that work is undertaken by humans who listen to the pseudonymised recordings.

Apple told the Guardian: “A small portion of Siri requests are analysed to improve Siri and dictation. User requests are not associated with the user’s Apple ID. Siri responses are analysed in secure facilities and all reviewers are under the obligation to adhere to Apple’s strict confidentiality requirements.” The company added that a very small random subset, less than 1% of daily Siri activations, are used for grading, and those used are typically only a few seconds long.

A whistleblower working for the firm, who asked to remain anonymous due to fears over their job, expressed concerns about this lack of disclosure, particularly given the frequency with which accidental activations pick up extremely sensitive personal information.

Siri can be accidentally activated when it mistakenly hears its “wake word”, the phrase “hey Siri”. Those mistakes can be understandable – a BBC interview about Syria was interrupted by the assistant last year – or less so. “The sound of a zip, Siri often hears as a trigger,” the contractor said. The service can also be activated in other ways. For instance, if an Apple Watch detects it has been raised and then hears speech, Siri is automatically activated.

The whistleblower said: “There have been countless instances of recordings featuring private discussions between doctors and patients, business deals, seemingly criminal dealings, sexual encounters and so on. These recordings are accompanied by user data showing location, contact details, and app data.”

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/jul/26/apple-contractors-regularly-hear-confidential-details-on-siri-recordings

Thats a big yikes. I have had several instances where I am watching tv and some commercial triggers siri on the phone or if I am driving and playing music through the radio.

This thread is legit though. Cheers!

• Like 1