Giving your creativity away for free on Flickr, Youtube etc.

nxrto

I was wondering how some of you feel about putting your work (photography, writing, videos etc) for free on the internet.

Reason why i post this topic is because a big stock photo firm approached me on Flickr asking if they could sell my photos on their site. I would earn 25% of every image sold. I declined because I want to share my work with as much people as possible and just enjoy the fact others can use them for free.

Not sure if this was a stupid move or not.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Part of me feels stupid. But to me it's the same as graffiti: it's free, you don't have to go to an art gallery to enjoy it. I've always been a rebel at heart. The fact that my work can reach kids in Japan, Africa etc. gives me more satisfaction than some publisher who has money to spend and doesn't really give a f*ck about it.

So I'm confused, if they used them for stock images you can no longer publish or print them yourself?

I would have changed the license from "some rights reserved" to "all rights reserved". Also the higher res versions would have not been available for free download anymore.

I think you can still print them yourself, not sure.

Reason why i post this topic is because a big stock photo firm approached me on Flickr asking if they could sell my photos on their site. I would earn 25% of every image sold. I declined because I want to share my work with as much people as possible and just enjoy the fact others can use them for free.

It was, dumbass

red-foreman-that-70s-show-dumb-ass.jpg

I'd probably take that money then and just have a contact link in case anyone wants the high res.

I know people who make a living at this shit and still get royalty checks on shots taken years ago.

Nothing wrong with that and they still have rights to the photo's they've taken.

As long as you can still show them on line and share your work it's not a bad deal.

Part of me feels stupid. But to me it's the same as graffiti: it's free, you don't have to go to an art gallery to enjoy it. I've always been a rebel at heart. The fact that my work can reach kids in Japan, Africa etc. gives me more satisfaction than some publisher who has money to spend and doesn't really give a f*ck about it.

are you still a teenager? grow up, pontificating on rebellion and institutionalizing graffiti is sooo tired... if you have talent and someone liked your work enough to contact you then just take it for what it is with out getting all "deep" on it... if you want to get paid from your photos then do this bs, you wont make a ton of money but you will make some and can list it on a resume... its not like your choosing your career as a stock photo shooter...

I declined because I want to share my work with as much people as possible and just enjoy the fact others can use them for free.

You could have done that AND got paid for it.

AND made a name for yourself.

youreanidiot.jpg