What book are you reading? Part 20

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Have any of you read other Nabakov as well as Lolita? I read Lolita pretty easily and thought it was a good book. I tried reading Invitation to a Beheading and it was brutal to read and I eventually quit.

Is Lolita alone on his easy to read list, or was his early stuff just more complex/hard for morons to follow?

Pale Fire was interesting. There's a bunch of different ways to go about reading it, it's not really linear like that. The content wasn't difficult, but it was hard to make sense of the book...if that makes sense...ha. Not really my kind of pleasure reading.

Cali, the edition of the Shirer that I have is just a huge blue hardcover. No markings. Very readable and interesting, although I'm only about 30 pages in out of 1100.

• Like 1

Read recently and recommend:

"The Great Gatsby" & "On Booze" by F. Scott Fitzgerald.

191553991.JPG

This book ruled (Short stories, for the most part.) A working knowledge of Spanish or a reference of some sort helps at some points.

Currently:

2011-04-22-MalcolmXALifeofReinvention.jpeg

Not very far in but definitely insightful if you've read the autobiography and are curious to know objective truths.

started fast food nation last night:

That is a good one in my estimation, occasionally I run across books which I think should be required reading for high school history and that is one of em.

Another good book about food is "The Omnivore's Dilemma, A Natural History of Four Meals" by Michael Pollan.

Both books changed the way I think about food, there are some truths which I think everyone knows in the back of their head, which can no longer be ignored once examined with full attention. The fact that all this factory manufactured food is fucked up to eat being one of them.

must spread rep before approving of cali's recommendation.

FFN is great

i quit eating the only fast food i still ate (french fries.) in 2004 after i finished it. never looked back.

our system of agriculture may well be the end of us.

at the moment i'm not reading much as i just finished doing GRE prep and taking it.

this oontzer got a 161 and a 157. (out of 170)

waiting to get my grade for the essays.

• Like 2

That is a good one in my estimation, occasionally I run across books which I think should be required reading for high school history and that is one of em.

Another good book about food is "The Omnivore's Dilemma, A Natural History of Four Meals" by Michael Pollan.

Both books changed the way I think about food, there are some truths which I think everyone knows in the back of their head, which can no longer be ignored once examined with full attention. The fact that all this factory manufactured food is fucked up to eat being one of them.

Yeah, I downloaded the omnivore's dilemma ebook version some time last year. Im going to try and get to it soon.

must spread rep before approving of cali's recommendation.

FFN is great

i quit eating the only fast food i still ate (french fries.) in 2004 after i finished it. never looked back.

our system of agriculture may well be the end of us.

at the moment i'm not reading much as i just finished doing GRE prep and taking it.

this oontzer got a 161 and a 157. (out of 170)

waiting to get my grade for the essays.

congrats on your GRE!...i thought you had already finished grad school though.:confused:

Yeah, I downloaded the omnivore's dilemma ebook version some time last year. Im going to try and get to it soon.

congrats on your GRE!...i thought you had already finished grad school though.:confused:

thank you, and no.. though i could lie about it cuz i have over 20 peer reviewed publications and a couple are first author, i have not yet done grad school. looks like i'll be taking the first class this spring.

and thanks for the proppers peeps.

word Realism. for me though, not having children has allowed every fucking door in the universe to remain open. i've managed to live life completely on my own terms, and you're right, since i did it all with a solid financial background i never got into trouble i couldn't get out of.

kinda looking to the future though, and that advanced degree will allow me to go overseas and get a job and not be a bum. prolly the final goal.

and yay. lots of books in my future

415ET4NY01L._SL500_SS500_.jpg

• 1 month later...