What book are you reading? Part 20

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

davos is still a fag though.

Davos is the same as Jon Snow. With all the crazy characters with outlandish hopes and beliefs and asperations. You have to have some people with morals, who aren't comfortable with where they are, but who are going to do the best they can and who also genuinely believe in honor.

PLUS: HES A FUCKING TENTPOLE.

A TEEENNTTTPOOOOLLLLEEEEE

Incidentally, do you think death by hanging is a sure fire way to do it? Do you think it's like the movies and that when your neck snaps, you die? Or can you be left in paralysis for the rest of your life? Movies do tend to mislead when it comes to this sort of thing.

I don't dance, so to go out doing the dead man's jig would be something.

i know two people who hung themselves

one did it so his neck snapped (probably) hanging from a banister over a height of at least 15 feet

this other guy though, hardcore alcoholic who had a self-loathing problem

he wrapped a cord around his neck and hung it from the handle of his freezer, sat down at his kitchen table, and drank a bottle of vodka, essentially choking himself to death slowly over a period of hours

i'd think if you messed up, you wouldn't paralyze yourself, because if you interrupted the activity to the brain you'd die eventually, even if your neck didn't break.

breaking your neck in an accident that severs the spinal cord, i'd think, is a traumatic injury that would be hard to duplicate with a rope and the force of gravity.

if you didn't sever the spinal cord, and only interrupted brain activity and were discovered in time, you could possibly be resuscitated with severe brain damage. the guy i knew is probably lucky that didn't happen

let me know how beautiful & damned is..

• 2 weeks later...

i've read wayyyy too many books on different historical subjects but this book was definately the only book i can remember just because i found it kind of amazing how african rice growers used their skills to gain status in the carolinas during slavery times n stuffs

51ES3SZ20QL._SS500_.jpg

how the shit do you guys enjoy reading books on a computer? i mean like i fucken cant stand scrolling n stuff. its probably different cuz when i read i have to jump pages and highlight n stuff when writing an argument. i guess its different when you just speed through and never have to go back. i like print out all the pdf articles.

i'm so picky i once printed out a 150 page document. only reason was because someone left their student account logged-in and i used their account. to print it charges like 30 cents to the person's account so karma is probably gonna get me back :)

^lol...i accidentally didnt log out once too and ended up having like 200 pages charged to my student account...went to the tech offices though and had them clear the charges...so win-win situation for me and the person who came up with those printouts..an another note, i feel your pain...id rather read stuff on paper than on a screen...thats why i still buy actual books and havent spent the $250 on an e-reader/tablet from barnes & nobles yet.

how the shit do you guys enjoy reading books on a computer? i mean like i fucken cant stand scrolling n stuff. its probably different cuz when i read i have to jump pages and highlight n stuff when writing an argument. i guess its different when you just speed through and never have to go back. i like print out all the pdf articles.

i'm so picky i once printed out a 150 page document. only reason was because someone left their student account logged-in and i used their account. to print it charges like 30 cents to the person's account so karma is probably gonna get me back :)

fuck reading anything longer than this post on a computer.

i will never own an e-reader, and i too print out documents. id rather waste some paper and kill trees to keep printed word alive. i have this fear that eventually in my lifetime, or even by the time i have children, we will see the end of books. everything will be published only in e-version.

there is something so much more personal about holding a tangible book... the anticipation of turning the page, being able to see and feel how close you are to the end, which allows the suspense to grow, i dunno. call me corny. feeling the paper even adds to the experience, and i know many of you will agree that there are few better smells in the world than a really really old book. in a weird way.

being able to physically own the book, and have a library which takes up a whole fucking wall or whole room even, instead of just being on a 64g thumb drive sitting on the kitchen counter.

being able to give books to others to enjoy, in hopes that they pass it off when they are done too.

these are all things i love about books, and hate about e-readers. and besides, reading too much on a computer gives me a migrane, and probably cancer.

/endrant

to show that im not all serious and grouchy, i read this yesterday.

bossypants-cover.jpg?w=500&h=500

• Like 2

Incidentally, do you think death by hanging is a sure fire way to do it? Do you think it's like the movies and that when your neck snaps, you die? Or can you be left in paralysis for the rest of your life? Movies do tend to mislead when it comes to this sort of thing.

I don't dance, so to go out doing the dead man's jig would be something.

Yes it is a sure fire way to kill yourself, but snapping your neck is not guaranteed.

If you have a high c-spine fracture (above C3 i believe) your diaphragm and ribs will be paralyzed leaving you physically unable to inhale. It takes more than the 10 inch drop after you kick out the stool to do that. And even after paralysis you still have to wait for hypoxic arrest. Generally you get brain damage after 2 minutes ie becoming a vegetable, death takes 8+ depending on overall health, ambient temperature etc. People can drown in cold water and come back after 30+ minutes with no neuro deficits because lowered body temperature reduces cellular metabolism which reduces o2 use in the body which is why cardiac arrest patients are cooled now and come back with less neuro and cardiac damage.

Best suicide in novel might be Burmese Days in my opinion, main character's life comes crashing down on him, shoots his beloved dog and then himself. Real tearjerker.

Sorry for the useless rant. Long day at work after coming back from vacation.

I did finish 7/8 of The Corrections and have thus far enjoyed it, the ending is going to make it or break it though.

Has anyone read The Friends of Eddie Coyle, Would you recommend?