What book are you reading? Part 20

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
dostoevsky. we've got a love/hate relationship.

His books have their flaws, but I get a lot out of them. The Brothers Karamazov might be the best novel I've ever read, Crime and Punishment definitely earns its status as a classic, and The Idiot really struck a chord with me, to the point that I actually went back after a few years and read it again. His books can drag on in places and they can take like 150 pages just to get into at the beginning, but he's for sure one of my favorite writers.

His books have their flaws, but I get a lot out of them. The Brothers Karamazov might be the best novel I've ever read, Crime and Punishment definitely earns its status as a classic, and The Idiot really struck a chord with me, to the point that I actually went back after a few years and read it again. His books can drag on in places and they can take like 150 pages just to get into at the beginning, but he's for sure one of my favorite writers.

Just started reading it couple of days ago, tell me, without ruining anything can you tell me why its poss your favorite.?.....First Dovst, ive picked up.

For the first time in history, humans have exceeded the sustaining capacity of Earth's global ecosystems. Our expanding footprint has tremendous momentum, and the insidious explosion of human impact creates a shockwave that threatens ecosystems worldwide for decades-possibly centuries.Walter K. Dodds depicts in clear, nontechnical terms the root causes and global environmental effects of human behavior. He describes trends in population growth, resource use, and global environmental impacts of the past two centuries, such as greenhouse effects, ozone depletion, water pollution, and species extinctions and introductions. Dodds also addresses less familiar developments, such as the spread of antibiotic resistant genes in bacteria and the concentration of pesticides in the Arctic and other remote ecosystems. He identifies fundamental human activities that have irreversible effects on the environment and draws on recent social science and game theory results to explain why people use more than their share. Past behavior indicates that as resources grow scarce, humans will escalate their use of what remains instead of managing their consumption. Humanity's Footprintpaints a lively but ultimately sobering picture of our environmental predicament. Dodds calls for a consilient approach to socioenvironmental restoration that draws on new thinking from across disciplines to develop sustainable solutions to global environmental problems.

51BTEX1glBL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

and

198adb078e3067c8.jpg

Just started reading it couple of days ago, tell me, without ruining anything can you tell me why its poss your favorite.?.....First Dovst, ive picked up.

I assume you're talking about The Brothers Karamazov. I read it probably 7 years ago, when I was younger and more impressionable, and it was the first Dostoevsky novel I picked up as well. That said, it was the scope of his vision as a writer, the depth of his understanding of human psychology, and his deep knowledge of myriad timeless religious/philosophical questions that moved me so much. There is also a major character, Ivan Karamazov, who I felt I could really relate to. It's hard to explain why I liked that book so much in just a few sentences, his achievement really is massive; there's a fairly literal reason why he's known as a "giant" of literature. Read it, it may seem slow at the start but once you get into the meat of the novel you won't want to put it down. It's a very profound book, and in my opinion (as well as many critics) it's his best.

This is the first time (6 MOMTHS!) I haven't read 4 books a week since the turn of the century.

This is the first week I've ever read 3. I definitely will be continuing this for as many weeks as I can.

All Vonnegut all week:

Cats Cradle

Breakfast of Champions

Slaughterhouse Five

I dont know if it's my lack of reading or if Vonnegut has that affect on everyone but Im physically exhausted from those books. Slaughterhouse Five was the best IMHO.

This is the first week I've ever read 3. I definitely will be continuing this for as many weeks as I can.

All Vonnegut all week:

Cats Cradle

Breakfast of Champions

Slaughterhouse Five

I dont know if it's my lack of reading or if Vonnegut has that affect on everyone but Im physically exhausted from those books. Slaughterhouse Five was the best IMHO.

They are just such good books, you get imersed in their story. I just got through reading Galapagos and Cat's Cradle, both win!