What book are you reading? Part 20

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Just read this book for the second time:

angelsanddemons.jpg

I have yet to see the movie.

Currently reading this:

freakonomics.jpg

And after that might read this:

breaking-dawn.jpg

No homo, the series is good. My math teacher got me into it. I haven't seen the movie for the 1st book though, nor do I want to see it. Ruins the "movie" that I create in my head.

/notwilighthead.

untitled.jpg

Finally finished this. I do this thing

where I read a couple different books at once

because I take a break in the middle.

I wish I would stop and just read one at a time thoroughly.

But I liked it and then I watched the movie and

did not like that.

0060652934_01_LZZZZZZZ.jpg

systematic-theology-grudem-239x300.jpg

This one is kind of tough to sit through.

Re-reading this now. a great book, and probably my favorite. kerouac is amazing.

on-the-road1.jpg

Then im going to re-read this. another great one by kerouac..

image001.gif

And did anyone ever read this??? I was considering it my next read..

electric%20kool%20aid%20acid%20test.jpg

Didnt enjoy On the road at all, very rough writing style.

The Electric Cool Aid Acid Test, is one of the most fabulous books ever written...Had totally forgotten it, its excellent im gonna go out and buy it again. All true, must have been some buzz....

i don't know how to express in words my utter discontent with anyone who prefers reading books to doing something better with their life. books suck, you suck for reading them.

the only exception to the rule would be the book in the post above mine. i would very much like to discover my own paranormal abilities. too bad it's probably a long string of bullshit that ends with more question marks than anything else... fuckin books.

You'd really need to read the book. Obviously.

This shit covered EVERYTHING. It's the most information I ever gained from a book. Period, and it's only about 200 pages.

It debunks Philosophy. Religion and more.

"Other animals are born, seek mates, forage for food and die. That is all. But we humans – we think – are different. We are persons, whose actions are the results of their choices. Other animals pass their lives unawares, but we are conscious. Our image of ourselves is formed from our ingrained belief that consciousness, selfhood and free will are what define us as human beings, and raise us above all other creatures.

In our more detached moments, we admit that this view of ourselves is flawed. Our lives are more like fragmentary dreams than the enactments of conscious selves. We control very little of what we most care about; many of our most fateful decisions are made unbeknownst to ourselves. Yet we insist that mankind can achieve what we cannot: conscious mastery of its existence. This is the creed of those who have given up an irrational belief in God for an irrational faith in mankind."

Another excerpt:

"But what if we give up the empty hopes of Christianity and humanism? Once we switch off the soundtrack – the babble of God and immortality, progress and humanity – what sense can we make of our lives?"

In a nutshell, this book talks a lot about the reasons why we humans believe that we are special. What defines humanity and separates us from the rest of the living beings we share earth with? Most would say; conciousness, self awareness, and reason. This book explains all of that.

I am not a religious person, and I still had a very hard time accepting and understanding the facts this book lays down. There were times where I would read a page over, and over and over just trying to fully saturate in the fucking knowledge the author is dropping. I'd have to go smoke a j-bird and then come back and read the same page again... and again.

Like I was saying, this book flipped my perspective like a puddle of acid in the palm of my hand. Live in the fucking now.

If any of you guys do decide to read this, please let me know what you thought.

How is this?

I bought it at a thrift store but have yet to start reading it.

I am not finished yet... but I think it’s pretty nifty how he

reveals three perspectives through one narrative.

It gets confusing at times and you have to keep in

mind the mentality of screwtape, the enemy, and the creation

to figure out what’s really being said.

The two letters screwtape writes about Love are my favorite

so far. It’s not a terribly long book so I am sure you’d rip through

it pretty fast Blood fart. Give it a go. I’d be interested in

hearing what parts you liked/ your interpretation.

Also it’s kinda funny if you like satire.

• Like 1