The Beer Thread

H. Lecter

local lurker Id be curious of that Brown Shooga from 09. I love that beer young. Wonder if it ages well.

I'm really wondering that as well, my buddy owns a craft beer bar/bottle shop over here, and he gave me this one the other day. I had one about a year ago. (2009 B.Shugga, drank it feb. 2012), but i was already kind of drunk that night so i dont really remember.

What state are you in? interested in a trade? (not for the b.shugga, lol sorry.)

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been doing alot of trades on Beer Advocate, thought i'd see if anyone on here would want to trade as well?

Here is my cellar, wish it was bigger, but i can dig it..

http://www.cellarhq.com/cellar/MontereyBay831

Fist666- since you're in that area, can you get your hands on any Crooked Stave?!

(i'm really stoked on my 2007 Abyss, 2011 Dark Lord, and 2013 Hunahpu)

DUDE! I tried to trade with you months ago then you fell off 12oz

DUDE! I tried to trade with you months ago then you fell off 12oz

Shit man, i fell off here hard! i've been stuck on BeerAdvocate alot, work, going to vegas next week, been going on road trips to breweries!

Ill PM you and lets something up.

Fist666- from Crooked Stave i honestly want anything, but i'm highly interested in...

- Persica

L'Brett D'Or

Oculus

Well of course its a challenge to make any beer. I was ranting over the main fact that some companies dont even seem to try to balance or make it worth it. Its just one big bitter jug of hops. I like the bite and the citrus as much as anyone else but when you advertise this "twist" or whatever about your beer and it in no way seems like anything special then yeah its not hard to make something basic or just hop the shit out of something.

Anyways...Lurker I reside in GA.

So Ive been meaning to post some past beers. Excuse any repeats...sometimes I forget.

Weyerbacher-Seventeen-Saison-Ale-570x490.jpg

7283192804_078cc98f6e_z.jpg

Scotch_Silly-300x292.jpg

Stone-Smoked-Porter-w-Vanilla-Bean-Bottles--570x665.jpg

Only other chili pepper ber Ive had was Mikellers Chipotle Porter which was way better than stones and Rogues chili ale which was ok.

Stone-Porter-w-Peppers-570x673.jpg

633292674763117715.jpg

91e0e0c9d3bdd5671399129ba13521df.jpg

SS-Organic-Choc-Stout.png

The-Reverend-565.jpg

Been trying milk stouts lately, this weekend:

Terrapin Chocolate Milk stout - delicious, barely any carbonation, not too thick though and very drinkable with a strong but not overpowering chocolate aftertaste

Southern Tier Creme Brule Stout - downright disgusting but smelled great, avoid at all costs

Schafly Coffee Stout - surprisingly good because I've never liked anything from them in the past but this was one of the better coffee stouts I've had

That stone with chipotle was god awful... Had it in a bottle one night, didnt like it. Found it on tap and thought i might as well, and i couldnt do it still.. I dont know if i didnt like the beer itself, or if i didnt like the chipotle alone.

any thoughts from people who like the porter by itself, and chipotle by itself?

^CHURCH! on that stone with chipotle. The beer itself is good and great to cook with. The iterations are horrid.

One of the best breakfasts I've ever had was just bacon, cabot reserve cheddar, and smoked porter.

Fuse- how did you like the Solstice d'Hiver? I really like that beer.

I haven't had a Weyerbacher in forever. I used to love their Heresy stout.

The hitachino espresso stout will forever be fantastic. That brewery does no wrong in my mind.

Okay, a few things:

1. When did protector become crew? And is it because of this thread? Cus that's awesome.

2. Went down to Port yesterday for the Lost Abbey Framboise de Amorose release yesterday. Drank the following things:

2 3oz tasters of the framboise (delicious beer)

1.5 pints of Mongo IPA

1 3oz taster of Carnevale

1 Pinte of Old Viscosity (I love when breweries just straight up pour full pints of %10+ abv beers.

And then later we had the Cuvee de Tomme which was one of the most intense sours I've had in a very long time.

We took a friend along who doesn't really know much. Gave him a great introduction to farmhouses, sours, and how to move through a board of beer to get the best tasting experience.

Was a great time. I suggest anyone pick up a bottle of both the Cuvee and the Framboise.

That stone with chipotle was god awful... Had it in a bottle one night, didnt like it. Found it on tap and thought i might as well, and i couldnt do it still.. I dont know if i didnt like the beer itself, or if i didnt like the chipotle alone.

any thoughts from people who like the porter by itself, and chipotle by itself?

I will say I agree. The smoked aspect paired with the chipotle didnt mix well. The vanilla bean worked a lot better. Ive had chipotle ale but the only other chipotle porter Ive had is Mikellers and that wasnt smoked and it was fantastic.

How was the Imperial Brown? Be a tough nut to crack getting the oak balanced?

It was ok. I mean Im happy I have it as an option being that the incredibly small town Im in probably no one drinks outside of bud, but the grocery store recently just revamped their beer selection and brought in some good stuff. The beers description prides itself on having strong character without the "sweetness" of the imperials higher alcohol. Personally I dont mind the slight sweetness as long as its a tame sweetness. Still not bad.

^CHURCH! on that stone with chipotle. The beer itself is good and great to cook with. The iterations are horrid.

One of the best breakfasts I've ever had was just bacon, cabot reserve cheddar, and smoked porter.

Fuse- how did you like the Solstice d'Hiver? I really like that beer.

I haven't had a Weyerbacher in forever. I used to love their Heresy stout.

The hitachino espresso stout will forever be fantastic. That brewery does no wrong in my mind.

The food pairing makes me think of the first smoke beer I tried. I thought I was drinking the scrapings of a Grill. But when drank with a steak and mashed potatoes it was pretty good. Bacon and cheddar pairing is making me want that now!

The Solstice was very nice. I always have seen those beers and their interesting labels so I finally decided to pick one up.

Ive been trying Weyerbachers as of late. That one I posted was nothing special. I hate when beers have all this ingredients and make you think theyre going to be different then they fail.

As for Hitachino...that beer was very good. Again they have been one company if not region of beer Ive been wanting to try for a long while. Beer shops always separate them an put them far down the line and the amount of US microbrews is overwhelming so I usually reach my limit before I find them on the shelf.

So I was in Whole Foods and I saw this one dude, who I know who works there, off the clock and grabbing a grip of this beer. I laughed and was like "good huh?" He claimed it as his favorite and I must say after tasting it was pretty fantastic of a Porter.

St%20Peter%20Porter.jpg

He also recommended this which was too bad.

8037532739_4a09c20074_z.jpg

So Ive beeen holding back a long time to taste Ommegans Three Philosophers. Their old label has this beer with a labeled additive of cherries. Their new label lacks this note. I dislike such notes of after beer added flavors. So Ive finally tried three philosophers and it was quite nice.

Ive had St peters Cream Stout which wasnt as nice as the porter....

45823011_H.jpg?identifier=adea092c5f44d3f2cc5c7f60364dec24

had king cobra for the first time the other day. wasnt nearly as bad as i had imagined.

bar near my house has tremens on draft right now

but they have some of the dirtiest lines ive ever tasted

should be illegal

I'm hitting beer deluxe straight up, airport - hotel - beer deluxe! I enjoy Lakefront as well. Never had it on tap though. It's going to be a big week. I don't have to judge either, haha. So after the conference it's on for young and old.

Ten dollars for a pint of proper tapped import beer is not even expensive here... we pay more than that for the Bud/Miller equivalents...

Loved the Narwhal, hated the Ruthless Rye, yet I definitely am enjoying this one. I thought it would have some cloud to it but its a clear deep amber almost orange red. The bitter is real easy and smooth with a very faint sweetness. Strong grapefruit yet it wasnt really floral like other imperials.

5281886504_353f4899ae.jpg

:edit:

Almost forgot about this one. Not bad. Im just really happy that I can get a quad at the grocery store near me. They have a couple other beers too by Boulevard that I havent tried yet.BOULEVARD-THE-SIXTH-GLASS.jpg