The Beer Thread

H. Lecter

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Friends just bought me a bottle of Makers 46. Pretty good. Makes it hard to drink regular makers now though. I do get down with some Woodford. Bulleit is nasty but I do enjoy their Rye. Larceny had been new to the scene is pretty good for how cheap it is. I get sick of people screaming for crown. Ive had the Crown XR and it wasnt anything stupendous, I mean people pay 20 bucks for a shot of it where I work. Although with the mention of Crown I must say my go to extra cheap choice is some good ol CC.

inexpensive but decent bourbon/rye - old granddad and old overholt

mid-range - I like bulleit rye, michters rye and sour mash, buffalo trace, catoctin creek rye and Basily Hayden's Bourbon (classy old Granddad) Black Maple Hill is nice too

the good shit is - High West and Pappy Van Winkle (if you can find it). Also Whistlepig and Whistlepig Rye are nice with it, expensive though

This past weekend:

Stillwater - Stateside Saison, second time having it, first was a few years ago, not as good as I had remembered

Jolly Pumpkin - Parcela '12, picked up a few of these after having such a hard time getting them in the fall, I think I like the younger ones better but the '12 in general has a slightly different taste than the '11 did when fresh. Still a great beer, I've got two left from '10 sitting around too that have actually aged pretty well.

Freigeist - Peated Porter, sour smoked porter...ridiculous, probably the only smoked beer I've ever enjoyed

Monarchy - Son of a Batch Apple Wood, hoppy/salty w/ a deep apple taste, very cool flavors, had never heard of these guys before, apparently its the same guy who does Freigeist

Went to Pittsburgh for a week and caught a New Holland event at some bar, never had anything from them except their Ichabod ale.

Dragon's Milk - one of the best bourbon barrel stouts I think I've ever had, great bourbon vanilla flavor, I imagine it would be even better on cask, someone out there must be doing that

Night Tripper - a little disappointing for an imperial stout, didn't really do anything for me

Monkey King - average saison, some good flavors in there but the pepper underscores them in a bad way

Blue Sunday Sour - Like I said, I've never had much New Holland before as it doesn't really show up around me, so I don't know what the price should have been but they were hocking these bottles for $30. It was a decent sour, but certainly nothing I'd pay that amount for. In all honesty it was basically a less refined version of Tart of Darkness. I would have been all about aging a bottle though if it wasn't so expensive.

On the whole Bourbon tip, I'd also offer up Noah's Mill (it's a sourced blended bourbon that used to be labelled as 15 year, but has subsequently moved from 4-20 year on wheat and rye bills).

It varies, but is usually around 115proof. It's bold, intense, and hot. But enjoyable if you like that sorta thing (I do.) To me, the heat over sweetness is better.

I can still also rock out some Basil Hayden any day. A bit more balanced and older than the former. Delicious and well priced.

Pappy is wonderful, as mentioned above.

If you want that cheap cheap, I suggest Rebel Yell, surprisingly. Not as saccharine as some other shit like makers, etc. And at $10 a fifth at trader joe's it's a bit hard to beat.

Speaking of whisky/bourbon in the BEER THREAD I just had me a few sips of this...

iazy.jpg

So very nice. Smooth and chocolate malt. Vanilla Oak and a very dominant bourbon finish, its like a put a shot in the beer after I poured it. Engine 15 is out of Jacksonville, FL. I was down there visiting family and was very surprised at the amount of breweries that have popped up. I think there are four total that are bottling and a few more on there way. Had a few by Intuition, Bolt City, Pinglehead, and River City. Although I believe it was Bolt City's red ale that was literally a Red Stout, the thing was darker than any brown Ive had. PingleHeads was definitely better.

I have been enjoying the hell out of Boulevard Breweries Beers. THeyre just great beers in my opinion. Most recently was their Dark Truth Stout. I also like that a grip of their beers are higher gravs.

boulevard-dark-truth-stout.png

Picked this up to but havent had it yet...

BABoris20609JustFront-LowerRes.jpg