The Beer Thread

H. Lecter

Now where did you find a 120min on the shelf still laying around? Nice find.

Really? It's still readily available by me at most of the better liquor stores.

Road tripped up to Maine recently, hit up some good breweries and brews I don't get to have often.

Coolest tour was probably Allagash just because you get to walk around the brewery and all that. However our tour guide actually made it a point to tell us that their brewery only release sold out an hour before we got there, he then later told us that they still had some but wouldn't be selling it for a few months :rolleyes: . Best brewery tour was Shipyard because they let you try everything, 12 beers or something ridiculous like that, as well as their house made sodas. Sam Adams, Harpoon, Maine Brewing co., etc... all were kinda cool but nothing to write home about. We did go to Maine Mead Works which was actually very interesting as I had certainly never seen Mead being made before. For some reason they also made it a point to tell us about their Special Reserve that they had just sold out of prior to our arrival.

Other than that, stand out beers along the way included:

Avery Odium Equum - barrel aged sour w/ Raspberries, expensive but very well balanced, would buy again in a heart beat if I could get it down here

Panil Divina - barrel aged version, decent Italian sour, good use of funk w/o being overpowering

Jack Abbey - had several of their lagers, all very good, some of the better lagers I've had

Lost Abbey Red Poppy - usually not a fan of the sour cherry beers but this one was surprisingly drinkable and not overpowered by the cherry flavor, definitely a lot of acidity though

Jolly Pumpkin Baudelaire - at less than 3 months old it was probably the freshest jp beer I've had, but man, the amount of carbonation in this bottle could have been used for an entire case of soda, ridiculously over carbonated to the point of barely being drinkable for the first 30-45 minutes, after that just the bitter taste of rose hips...not for me

Not beer, but Down East Cider may just be the best hard cider I've ever had. It has the consistency of quality apple cider unlike 99% of hard cider. If you see it, give it a try.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah SC and GA wont sell it because of the abv. When i was down in florida I thought Id try and pick some up for some coworkers. It was no where to be found. Every place i went just said that they never know when theyre going to get it and when they do its a case and its gone within the week. here i though DFH expanded their brwery to meet demand, or maybe theyre just cruising on their fame and keeping demand wanting.

Went on a Pils kick this past weekend, did the Lagunitas Czech style, the Firestone hopped pils and Ninkasi Sterling pils. I was unaware that I enjoyed Pilsners that much. Most of the examples of the style I had had up till now where imported, and the trip over didn't treat them too well. It was a nice change up from all the hop monster IPAs that are everywhere for sure.

Last night's bottle share:

1. Atrial Rubicite from Jester King

2. Tilquin Quetsche (geuze with plum)

3. Karbach Bodacious

4. Karback Cherries of Fire

5. 3 year old Schaerbeekse Kriek from 3 Fountains

6. Hanndybragget aquavit aged porter

7. New Glarus Serendipity

8. Bourbon County Stout Coffee

9. Jester King Viking Metal

10. Jester King RU-55

11. De Molen Vuur and Vlam (1 year old)

12. Crooked Stave Saison (1 year old)

13. Damnation (i didn't drink it, i figured people who haven't should)

14. Cantillon Rose de Gambrinus

was a good night.

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations/info for open fermentation? I've been homebrewing for a few years now but never tried open fermentation. My plan is to use old wine, cider, and bourbon barrels as the fermentation vessels. I'd actually like to do everything in the oak (mash, ferment, condition, and dry hop) and then add sugar/yeast to the bottles individually. Anyone ever tried anything like this?

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations/info for open fermentation? I've been homebrewing for a few years now but never tried open fermentation. My plan is to use old wine, cider, and bourbon barrels as the fermentation vessels. I'd actually like to do everything in the oak (mash, ferment, condition, and dry hop) and then add sugar/yeast to the bottles individually. Anyone ever tried anything like this?

You are talking about lambic yeasts, open fermentation has been a "thing" since at least the 11th century and probably earlier. Lambic or wild yeast are used in very specific styles, I don't really see the point of adding a second yeast to the bottle, adding sugar to the bottle is just priming. This part is all opinion> Also I wouldn't mash in the barrel, I don't really see a way to keep it up to temp, and if you over temp, the tannins from the oak might ruin your mash.

Thats all I have for you, Protester should be able to speak on this from a more educated place than I.

The taste was metallic and it left my mouth feeling kinda like I had bit in to a banana peel, and my stomach wasn't happy with it either. The morning after I had a splitting headache and was nauseous until I got some toast in me.

Edit: I am no stranger to the harsher, bigger beers. I love barley wines, Bourbon barrel stouts, American strong ales, and hop monster IPAs. Although I am getting a bit burnt out on megahop beers.

Went to belgium....beer heaven. Only took a couple of photos of the beers i drank and also some i tried in spain

My favourite had to be the one in the horn glass! looked badass and tasted even better!

4_zps36c766ab.jpg

3_zpsc8915a23.jpg

2_zps3ee1da71.jpg

1_zps988bbda4.jpg

6_zps12f405db.jpg

5_zps4e8b4556.jpg

So depressing coming back to Canada and seeing how expensive booze is :(

Cheers oontzers!

The taste was metallic and it left my mouth feeling kinda like I had bit in to a banana peel, and my stomach wasn't happy with it either. The morning after I had a splitting headache and was nauseous until I got some toast in me.

I am not getting any of that. Maybe it was something you ate before or something else?

• 3 weeks later...