The Beer Thread

H. Lecter

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stillwater released an IPA called "Why can't IBU" I actually thought that was pretty creative.

Well it must be that time of year again when the Hopslam love/hate shows up on this thread. $20 for a 6 really doesn't seem that bad to me, $3.33/beer. but I live in DC and beer is expensive round these parts.

I've been drinking sours lately:

liefmans goudenband and cuvee brut

Drie Fonteinen Oude Kriek and oude geuze

rodenbach grand cru

bruery saison rue

Goose Island Madame Rose*** this beer is fucking amazing

and I recently won a bottle of The Bruery - Black Tuesday (not a sour beer)

Been getting into The Bruery lately, anyone else a fan? The past two weeks I've had their Autumn Maple, Tart of Darkness, 5 Golden Rings, Oude Tart, Saison de Lente, Smoking Wood, and Saison Rue. All were pretty delicious, I especially like their sour offerings. Got a few cellared, interested to see how they age. On that note, I recently cracked a Jolly Pumpkin La Parcela from 2010 and was kinda disappointed, the sour taste had all but disappeared and the pumpkin really came through. It was delicious don't get me wrong but I like that beer for its sour pumpkin flavor. I've cellared it before for 1 year and I think that's about as long as I'd go in the future.

Tart of Darkness is a classy ass beer.

I live near the bruery so I've had the majority of their offerings. Personally while I think they are a solid brewery I find them somewhat over-rated and overvalued. Mostly the latter.

Jolly pumpkin is sometimes inconsistent in how long you can cellar them. Like, Oro De Calabeza can age for a few years. I think the lack of consistency comes in that they are almost all wild fermentation (if not all), so each batch is going to be different, etc. Just a thought, I'm sure protestor can weigh in as well.

Tart of Darkness is a classy ass beer.

I live near the bruery so I've had the majority of their offerings. Personally while I think they are a solid brewery I find them somewhat over-rated and overvalued. Mostly the latter.

Jolly pumpkin is sometimes inconsistent in how long you can cellar them. Like, Oro De Calabeza can age for a few years. I think the lack of consistency comes in that they are almost all wild fermentation (if not all), so each batch is going to be different, etc. Just a thought, I'm sure protestor can weigh in as well.

Yea I feel you on that. I've just started seeing Bruery beers around here in the last six months so they're still kind of a novelty to me. I've also heard that about Jolly Pumpkin and have witnessed the inconsistencies first hand on several of their beers. Still, I really enjoy their beers and I have yet to have one I didn't like. My favorite to age thus far has been La Roja.

Ah. I see. I'd definitely try it. I'd try what the Abomb posted as well, but being a lager from SABMiller I think it's a safe bet it's watery shit?

I see your point though. I just did a small collaboration with a brewer from one of the big three in Australia, and she was a great brewer with a lot of knowledge - made me feel like I was back to crayons.

At the end of the day, all those sort of labels are doing is trying to capitalise on the fact craft beer is gaining market share. I believe in the US it's around 6% market share, over here it's 2.5% - but 2.5% of a very big pie is still a nice slice.

We are seeing the same thing over here.