The Beer Thread

H. Lecter

Had a bottle of the 10-10-10 vertical epic last nite and was not a fan. Had a weird dryness to it I couldn't get past. The wife LOVED it so I gave her the rest. A lot of the stuff that Stone has done in say the past 2 years has been hit or miss for me. Most of my disappointment is centered around the Belgian yeast.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Russian imperial... brewed in the US.

What a joke.

i was just about to mention this...although i have to say that any american takes on stouts and particularly imperials have been seriously lacking in what ive tasted. coming from belgium recently they really hold no comparison to what they brew. if anyone feels the need to set me straight set me in the direction of a few good ones and ill gladly change my opinion.

drank the blue moon oatmeal wheat beer just before, wasnt expecting anything special but it turned out to be a bloody good beer. the oatmeal rounded out the palate really well. i was expecting more bitterness from the gruit style they used.

as this page is pretty heavy on the Stone's beers, i finally got a hold of the Arrogant Bastard Ale on tap tonight. i knew it was a malty fucker from drinking the bottled version. but this was tapped eariler in the day and fuck me, shit was heavenly with a pub style bacon cheeseburger and onion rings even though it cut right through all of it with the hops. tasting it the entire walk home

lovely beer, really happy to finally get it on tap. the pub had a 70 page beer menu (more a craft beer bar than anything else) with a huge section devoted to the yank brews. read up on some imperial ipa's and stouts that i seriously like the look of, a lot coming out of michigan strangely. tomorrows birthday there is going to be fucking wild, although unlike belgium i'll do my best not to lose my camera and take some good flicks...and not vomit everywhere.

Had a smoked ale tonight, forget the brewery. Disgusting. I haven't had a beer that I couldn't finish for years, I could only drink maybe half a pint. Everyone here in Pennsylvania is waiting for Yuengling's Oktoberfest brew, which still hasn't come out, yet my local bar has the tap handle. Not a good look for the first Oktoberfest brew in your home region. Lancaster Brewing Company, another local brewery does have a nice Oktoberfest brew available for those that can get it.

how long do you guys think this beer 'fad' is going to last though?

obviously, there are true lovers that will always be around and ready to purchase/drink all this lovely brew.

but, look at what happened to the wine game - it was cracking just a few years ago, and now there's not a wine bar in sight.

from what i've heard/read, a number of local wineries (ca) have turned to making these small one-off type batches so they can get their money without selling the huge amounts they were previously able to.

6238705644_e0ff6a36c7.jpg

belgian microbrewery, interesting IPA with a belgian yeast. 136 ebu's which seems like the difference between proof and ABV. id guess maybe 50 ibu's, not what i wanted. nice beer but nothing great.

6238180477_418579c29a.jpg

green flash out of san diego. half IPA, half trippel blend. absolutely amazing. ive never tried such a balanced blended beer. awesome creamines and banana and vanillas coming from the trippel. good hop bite and orangey citrus hits from the IPA. one of the top ten ive ever drunk.

6238177081_f34c0bdae9.jpg

huge triple IPA at 10 ABV, monstrous hop kick and everything else is just an afterthought. body hangs in there thanks to the booze content but all in all an awesome beer. for true IPA lovers, which seems to be most of you.

6238697914_c95e707461.jpg

meh, shit was cheap.

6238170139_e81900b673.jpg

drum roll please.

6238695790_7814f1baa2.jpg

WESTVLETEREN 12!

yes i know i had the wrong glass, at least the right shape. i wrote a full review on beer advocate as i drank it so i'll just sum it up. heavy malt, stewed plums and raisin flavour on the palate, big caramel sweetness coming through. really sweet but balanced by the alcohol content (10.2 ABV). big mouthfeel and very creamy, lingers for ages. long and malty.

shame about the over the top sweetness, but you need excess sugars to keep the fermentation going, i can handle it. all in all a dope birthday present to myself.

enjoy cunts.

• Like 1