The Beer Thread

H. Lecter

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bring the hate but....

Pumking is not going on my "drink this again" list. I literally had to dump half a bottle (which hasn't happened since I tried Ommegang's Three Philosophers a couple years back) and, honestly, I was happy to see it go. That shit was like eating a super fragrant, super savory pumpkin cakey pile. Like a "pumpkin pie" scented candle.

Really thin on spices as far as my tongue could tell and zero ale flavor (don't be telling me about your kettle and aroma hops if there's NO HOPS ANYWHERE in the profile). Also: instant headache I'm now trying to beat into submission with scotch.

I heard it was a love-it-or-hate it kind of beer but goddamn. Going back to Dogfish Head Punk for the duration.

• Like 1

The fall season has really been one that I dont favor in the beer world. I actually dont follow the seasons when it comes to beers. I buy what I buy when I come across it. Not really a big fan of the pumpkin brews....and yes dogfish does the better job. BUT Dogfish doesnt always do the best of jobs. I feel people jock dogfish because its popular. There brews are hit or miss.

I think if Bells made a Pumpkin brew it would be DELICIOUS! do they?

The fall season has really been one that I dont favor in the beer world. I actually dont follow the seasons when it comes to beers. I buy what I buy when I come across it. Not really a big fan of the pumpkin brews....and yes dogfish does the better job. BUT Dogfish doesnt always do the best of jobs. I feel people jock dogfish because its popular. There brews are hit or miss.

I think if Bells made a Pumpkin brew it would be DELICIOUS! do they?

I'm with you on the Dogfish tip. I don't care for their 60 Minute IPA. The 90 Minute is a tad better. People talk that shit up to death.

Also, living in Pennsylvania, we don't sell beer in most supermarkets, so the area I live in is super-saturated with bars that carry regional/east coast micro brews. When I do go to a supermarket that supposedly has a "nice" selection I see tons of Rogue bombers, none of which are appealing to me. I'm talking at least 6-10 varieties. What gives? Is Rogue just a novelty brewery now? It's funny/kind of sucks that I can recommend breweries for days that most of you guys being on the left coast will never get, a lot of the shit I'm drinking has like a 90 mile distribution radius. Anyone down for a trade?

Bring the hate but....

Pumking is not going on my "drink this again" list. I literally had to dump half a bottle (which hasn't happened since I tried Ommegang's Three Philosophers a couple years back) and, honestly, I was happy to see it go. That shit was like eating a super fragrant, super savory pumpkin cakey pile. Like a "pumpkin pie" scented candle.

Really thin on spices as far as my tongue could tell and zero ale flavor (don't be telling me about your kettle and aroma hops if there's NO HOPS ANYWHERE in the profile). Also: instant headache I'm now trying to beat into submission with scotch.

I heard it was a love-it-or-hate it kind of beer but goddamn. Going back to Dogfish Head Punk for the duration.

I can see where you're coming from if you prefer the Dogfish Head. I on the other hand cannot finish a bottle of the Dogfish Pumpkin. Pumpkin beers come down to preference a lot, some people like the pumpkin pie flavor and some like it to still maintain a hoppy goodness. Rarely do you come across a brew that does both effectively. I'd recommend Smashed Pumpkin from Shipyard, it has a decent balance between the two. Also try out the Flying Dog Fear imperial pumpkin, not quite my speed but a lot of my friends love it.

I just picked up St. Bernardus Christmas Ale and a 6pack of Mad Elf this weekend. Pleasantly surprised to see them out this early, definitely saving the Bernardus for awhile.

Also, living in Pennsylvania, we don't sell beer in most supermarkets, so the area I live in is super-saturated with bars that carry regional/east coast micro brews. When I do go to a supermarket that supposedly has a "nice" selection I see tons of Rogue bombers, none of which are appealing to me. I'm talking at least 6-10 varieties. What gives? Is Rogue just a novelty brewery now? It's funny/kind of sucks that I can recommend breweries for days that most of you guys being on the left coast will never get, a lot of the shit I'm drinking has like a 90 mile distribution radius. Anyone down for a trade?

Rogue is another company that is hit or miss but rides the wave of popularity. Good beers when theyre good dont get me wrong.

so, i've been a regular hater of pumpkin beers in here, but i will say this.

I tried a pumpkin porter tonight that was good. I liked it because it tasted more like roasted pumpkin seeds cus of a very strong malt profile, and barely on the backen was there the characteristic spices of fall pumpkin ales. I liked it, a lot. THAT is how a fucking fall beer should be made.

i like that harpoon label.

while everyone is talking about it: i have yet to have a pumpkin beer that i thought was great, maybe i don't like pumpkin enough, but i just don't think its a flavor profile that should be balanced. sure, some are better than others, but i'd rather drink a beer thats 'all good' instead of 'good for a pumpkin.'

but i'd rather drink a beer thats 'all good' instead of 'good for a pumpkin.'

This. I think I was conflating "autumn beer" with "pumpkin beer." Heavy and spicy all day, sure; but no more squash in my beer.

And yes, both Rogue and Dogfish are getting to be pretty "hip" breweries... doing shit that is more for show (DFH Midas Touch anyone?) and "experimentation" than anything. I'll still drink Dead Guy if it's on draft but that other stuff feels like it's resting on fake laurels.

Got a bunch to post tonight...

Also, living in Pennsylvania, we don't sell beer in most supermarkets

Yeah, fuck your state dude. Was there a while back, a little difficult to come away with anything good, had to hunt for shit.

Had that Harpoon the other day, thought it was poor for a Belgian (style).

On the Pumpking, if you're expecting pumpkin pie you will be very disappointed. It does have those elements to it, but it's kind of chocolatey too.