gun thread

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
what would be a good rifle to start with?

i have only handgun and shotgun experience....

the crazier things get politically the more i realize that exercising our right to bare arms is important.

i would like something that will have some good range, affordable and will be pretty easy for a beginner.

im a believer in buy once, cry once.

im a fan of the AR platform.

i would definitely not ruling out an AK platform, but by the time i modify it to do what i need it to do, im at the cost of an AR15.

if i were to buy one rifle to cover the most bases, i'd buy something in .308. m14 variant, FAL, AR platform, etc.

there isnt much you couldnt do with a .308 battle rifle of some sort, a 18" 12g, and a side arm.

these look like they have a ton of custom options...and pretty decent baseline price.

great starting place.

all you really need is an extended mag release and it will run like champ. get a bunch of mags, even factory mags these days dont last that long. dont use aftermarket mags at all, they suck.

if you want to customize, i recommend a hogue stock, a bull barrel of some sort will greatly improve accuracy.

Get the Glock in 10mm or .40 S&W ...

10mm is definitely beast.

a few comments though. ralphy is talking about carrying for possible 'sketchy' times in the near future.

.40 is the most used caliber by LE. lots of ammo around. .45 is also the way to go. if money is an issue, be advised .45 is usually cheaper than .40. remember, if you cant feed it, it will do you no good.

first handgun you are probably better off looking for a side arm you can conceal but is big enough to give you decent accuracy, as opposed to a .38 snub nose for instance. a glock 23 is a great choice, or a 30. private sales are not hard to come by in gun friendly states. although, id rather have either of the above, if a private sale 17 came up cheap, i'd hop on it.

got this

UIe4K.jpg

trying to fing a low profile light mount for maybe a 1 in dia flashlight like

GPkTL.jpg

not having much luck. most of them im finding stick the light out too far for my liking..... can someone help me out w a link?

• 4 weeks later...

looking to get a new 9mm.

90% going with the glock 19 but wanted gun thread peoples opinion on FNX and HK or a new SIG. from what i know new Sigs are caca but i cant say i know much about the FNX or HK. looking for reliability info and things like that. figured i would come here and ask while i do some online info...

i have also seen good prices on S&W 9s as well but didnt really wanna take that route.

IHATEU: H&K P30 I've heard is really good, as well as the FNX, which is probably $300 cheaper than the p30. New sigs have shit quality control. I've been reading that some people have been having trouble with 4th gen glocks, and folks in the "shooting community" are recommending to go with early third gen. models which should still be available.

Smith and Wesson M&P line is also a good choice

I loved my glock 23. was a great pistol, i have no complaints with SIG or HK . . . to Angel of death, .40S&W is much cheaper here than the .45 which fucking blows or i would have more .45 cal firearms.

I got a new toy as well . . . pistol caliber carbine which is a non-restricted bush gun for me. AR style fed by glock mags.

I hadn't heard about the problems w/ the newer gen Glocks, but I have never been a fan. The ergonomics don't suit me well. Also hadn't heard about SIG falling off, that sucks, the ones I carried in the Navy where MILES better than those M9 pieces of shit. The S&W M&P (in .40) and Ruger SR9 are both pretty nice, had a chance to get my hands on both of them a few weeks back at the range. I have always found Ruger to be the best bang for the buck. I am a bit biased tho, I have a P90 that I have put well over 10,000 rounds through with out a single malfunction, and a MKII that I have had for almost 15 years and other than needing to get it rebarreled 5 years ago its been a trooper.

• 3 weeks later...

I believe it is a chamber with a rod that uses the gas and to re-cock the action. . . I have field stripped one a few years ago and if memory serves that would be it. I could be wrong tho . . . . . .

shitty thing about those gun's is the corrosive ammo, the strip and clean after every use. which i don't mind, however ....

wiki that shit

@fat ralphy

The gas tube is where the gas piston is housed, it is the tube above the barrel, on the SKS the gas piston moves the piston extention to the rear, thus cycling the bolt carrier group to the rear, ejecting the spent casing. At the end of the stroke spring tension from the recoil spring pushes the BCG (bolt carrier group) forward, as it moves forward it strips and chambers a fresh round from the magazine.

animation showing everything I just explained

Link to parts diagram

http://www.gunslot.com/files/gunslot/images/34593.jpg

@ boats & rips

For way less $ a gas piston AR-15 is just as good if not better. More parts/customization options out for it.

i read about a ton of problems with the gas piston AR, i'd stick with the direct impingement. as a general rule i find that guns which have their basic method of operation modified tend to be much more finicky and problem prone ie gas piston ARs, and semi automatic guns which were originally designed as open bolt machine guns now modified to fire from a closed bolt ie MAC 10

I've actually been looking into getting myself a new rifle, i have a few already, but i've been looking into an M4, AR-15, or a Mini.14. Mostly looking into the .308 out of the bunch though, the .223 might be more practical considering ammo price.. I just love the AR base's... there is an endless customization capability on them. And i also heard of converting the mini14 into a .308, but i dont know how stable that would be.? does anyone have one and/or know someone who does?

any thoughts on what i should do?

(I'm also in California, so take that into consideration.)

M4 i've been getting idea's from.

3598148339_7a7c14322d_b.jpg

and the AR15 with similar add-ons i want.

4481935716_43b0945b46_b.jpg

And now the mini14. which im mainly leaning towards....

Mini14Black2.jpg