Five-second rule for dropped food? Try 30...and other news. death and soda flavors

rental

Seen on fark:

Updated Tue. Jun. 12 2007 10:16 PM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

A man drops a brownie on the floor. If he picks it up within five seconds, should he still eat it? Two U.S. students claim the answer is yes.

In fact, they say he could wait half a minute.

The students, who are seniors at Connecticut College, studied the five-second rule as part of their microbiology class.

"It is an eye-opener," student Molly Goettsche told ABC News. "There may be a little more time than just seconds."

First they dropped Skittles candy and apple slices on the school's dining hall floor for different lengths of time.

Then they swabbed the food for samples and checked for any bacteria.

Their conclusions may be a relief to those who rescue fallen food: it took more than 30 seconds for bacteria to cultivate on the apple slices, which represented wet food.

As for the Skittles, which stood in for dry food, it took longer than a minute.

But despite their findings, the students said they would never eat anything that's hit the ground.

"I don't know if I would ever eat off that floor," said Goettsche.

High school student Jillian Clarke conducted a more exhaustive study in 2003, and her research earned her an Ig Noble award -- a parody of the Nobel Prize -- the following year.

She traced the five-second rule to Genghis Khan. But the Mongol leader, known more for his military tactics than passion for science, thought food could be left on the floor for half a day.

Like the Connecticut College students, Clarke found that dry food dropped on clean floors did not pick up a noticeable amount of bacteria.

However, when she dropped food on floors contaminated with E. coli, the bacteria latched onto the food in less than five seconds.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20070612/five_seconds_070612/20070612?hub=Health

also from ctv,ca:

this shit is fucked up.

Dying woman was denied help, 911 tapes show

Updated Wed. Jun. 13 2007 10:25 AM ET

Associated Press

LOS ANGELES -- A woman who lay bleeding on the emergency room floor of a troubled inner-city hospital died after 911 dispatchers refused to contact paramedics or an ambulance to take her to another facility, newly released tapes of the emergency calls reveal.

Edith Isabel Rodriguez, 43, died of a perforated bowel on May 9 at Martin Luther King Jr.-Harbor Hospital. Her death was ruled accidental by the Los Angeles County coroner's office.

Relatives said Rodriguez was bleeding from the mouth and writhing in pain for 45 minutes while she was at a hospital waiting area. Experts have said she could have survived had she been treated early enough.

County and state authorities are now investigating Rodriguez's death. Relatives reported she died as police were wheeling her out of the hospital after the officers they had asked to help Rodriguez arrested her instead on a parole violation. Sheriff's Department spokesman Duane Allen said Wednesday that the investigation is ongoing.

In the recordings of two 911 calls that day, first obtained by the Los Angeles Times under a California Public Records Act request, callers pleaded for help for Rodriguez but were referred to hospital staff instead.

"I'm in the emergency room. My wife is dying and the nurses don't want to help her out," Rodriguez's boyfriend, Jose Prado, is heard saying in Spanish through an interpreter on the tapes.

"What's wrong with her?" a female dispatcher asked.

"She's vomiting blood," Prado said.

"OK, and why aren't they helping her?" the dispatcher asked.

"They're watching her there and they're not doing anything. They're just watching her," Prado said.

The dispatcher told Prado to contact a doctor and then said paramedics wouldn't pick her up because she was already in a hospital. She later told him to contact county police officers at a security desk.

A second 911 call was placed eight minutes later by a bystander who requested that an ambulance be sent to take Rodriguez to another hospital for care.

"She's definitely sick and there's a guy that's ignoring her," the woman told a male dispatcher.

During the call, the dispatcher argued with the woman over whether there really was an emergency.

"I cannot do anything for you for the quality of the hospital. ... It is not an emergency. It is not an emergency ma'am," he said.

"You're not here to see how they're treating her," the woman replied.

The dispatcher refused to call paramedics and told the woman that she should contact hospital supervisors "and let them know" if she is unhappy.

"May God strike you too for acting the way you just acted," the woman said finally.

"No, negative ma'am, you're the one," he said.

The incident was the latest high-profile lapse at King-Harbor, formerly known as King/Drew. The Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors is investigating claims of recent patient care breakdowns, including Rodriguez's case.

Federal inspectors last week said emergency room patients were in "immediate jeopardy" of harm or death, and King-Harbor was given 23 days to shape up or risk losing federal funding.

Dr. Bruce Chernof, director of the county Department of Health Services, which oversees the facility, has called Rodriguez's death "inexcusable" and said it was "important to understand that this was fundamentally a failure of caring." He has said conditions are improving, though.

A call Wednesday seeking comment about the 911 tapes from the department's communications office, which handles information about the hospital, was not immediately returned.

Dr. Roger Peeks, the chief medical officer at the hospital, was placed on "ordered absence" Monday, the Times reported. Health officials declined to elaborate, saying it was a personnel matter. Dr. Robert Splawn, chief medical officer for the health department, was named interim chief medical officer, the newspaper said.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20070613/911_dyingwoman_070613/20070613?hub=Health

160X_pepsi_japan_070613.jpg

Cucumber-flavoured soda sold in Japan

Updated Wed. Jun. 13 2007 10:36 AM ET

Associated Press

TOKYO -- Japanese are staying cool as a cucumber this summer with "Pepsi Ice Cucumber" -- a new soda based on the crisp green gourd.

The soft drink, which hit stores here on Tuesday, doesn't actually have any cucumber in it -- but has been artificially flavoured to resemble "the refreshing taste of a fresh cucumber," said Aya Takemoto, spokeswoman of Japan's Pepsi distributor, Suntory Ltd.

"We wanted a flavour that makes people think of keeping cool in the summer heat," Takemoto said. "We thought the cucumber was just perfect."

The mint-coloured soda is on sale just for the summer and only in Japan, Takemoto said. She said initial sales were brisk, and Suntory aims to sell 200,000 cases over the next three months.

Pepsi trails behind industry leaders Coca Cola (Japan) Company, with about 15 per cent of the Japanese cola market, and also faces stiff competition from non-fizzy bottled drinks like green tea and coffee, which are popular here.

Suntory said it sold 20.5 million cases of Pepsi brand drinks in 2006, including its popular Pepsi NEX zero-calorie soda.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Re: Five-second rule for dropped food? Try 30...and other news. death and soda flavor

nice.....i eat shit that has been on the floor for days....im ok

if shes bleeding at the hospital why send her somewhere else...reminds me of the michael moore movie sicko thats coming out

and cucumber flavored pepsi...ill pass the japan heads are weird..cool but weird

Guest R@ndomH3ro

Re: Five-second rule for dropped food? Try 30...and other news. death and soda flavor

Mythbusters already did an episode on that rule.

You are so smart...Mr. Tv-watcher

has anyone tasted the Doritos X-13D in the black bag? i swear they taste just like a cheeseburger from mcdonald's. you can taste the hamburger, the mustard, onion, etc. if you pick the name for the new chips you win a year supply of doritos........

i drank with one of the guys from fark all last weekend. dude was amazingly funny. i also hung out with the founders sister who was telling me how people flock to her brother thinking hes the biggest deal and she just sits there not getting it.

anyway, thats really all i have for this thread. that, and if i drop something really good on the floor i will generally eat it, regardless of how long it takes me to get it up.

Guest R@ndomH3ro

They keep showing that story over and over in the news...its really fucked that a woman was just throwing up blood in the waiting room and dumbasses where just watching her die.

has anyone tasted the Doritos X-13D in the black bag? i swear they taste just like a cheeseburger from mcdonald's. you can taste the hamburger, the mustard, onion, etc. if you pick the name for the new chips you win a year supply of doritos........

I find it fascinating that they were even able to do this. It means they had to isolate the specific chemicals from each component which register with out tastebuds as the main taste, then turn it into solution, then spray it on the chip...

Fifteen more years and well have the gum from willy wonka.

has anyone tasted the Doritos X-13D in the black bag? i swear they taste just like a cheeseburger from mcdonald's. you can taste the hamburger, the mustard, onion, etc.........

My roomate said the same exact shit last night.

i didn't bother reading the hospital thing until now...damn, that's some fucked up shit.

but yeah, cucumber soda with some Tacos sounds about right!

There is a forum about this.

http://www.12ozprophet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118200

Cucumber is such a refreshing flavor. I mean it works in sushi, minestrone soup, and fuck it even works as a lotion. Cucumber melon by bath and body works is dope.

dont get dudes around here started about bath and body works, theyll go on about body wash and loofahs for hours.

"god made dirt, so it won't hurt!"

never seen the water.

i don't know about cucumber water...flavored water hardly ever tastes good.

flavored soda usually tastes good though. maybe it's the bubbles?