<<< 12Oz Computer Tech Support SuperThread >>>

Mainter

Alright, I have a problem.

I now use UBuntu 11.04 as my sole OS, but I have a problem.

I can't connect via Wifi. It shows the connections and lets me connect, but it never goes through...

NDISWRAPPER. It took me a few tries but i got it to work. There are youtube videos

that will take you thru the steps. Save the .tar to a flash drive and follow documentation

that is available online.

Im going to speculate that you have a Broadcom wireless card. Broadcom didn't share source code with the open source community. I hate Broadcom. NDISWrapper allows you to use windows drivers with linux distros. However, unless you are comfortable in the Terminal this could give you some trouble.

Someone told me that this will also work for Ubuntu. That link:

Another possible solution is for Backtrack but Backtrack is based on Ubuntu.

You could also try a wireless USB

Good luck

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
abcs, check this out. Determine if you need the Pro or Free.

https://secure.logmein.com/comparisonchart/comparisonFPP.aspx

abcs, it's really easy and convenient to use. I use both Pro and Free all the time when I travel.

TeamViewer is also free:

http://www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx

This is what I use. Flipping easy to use. If you plan to remote in to a PC often, I suggest updating the password otherwise it will change every time (default).

• Like 1

OK I just got a 2TB WD Caviar Green drive and when I was transferring data from my old Hardrive there was a power outage and now my PC no longer recognises the drive being there. I have rebooted, checked the physical connections and there is no issue, however I am thinking it has something to do with serial ATA or something along those lines from what I have read online but it is all foreign to me.

I have a P5Q Pro motherboard, and my power supply can easily handle the load, so why has the drive stopped working? It doesn't even show up to format under Computer Management (it did intially before the crash). This is frustrating the hell out of me, but what can I do?

I picked up a 2TB WD elements external drive just last night. I think SATA is more an internal drive than an external HD standard or technology. It involves different interface, connectors, and pin configurations among other things. If your drive is anything ike mine its USB 2. Plug and play. If you are hooking up to a PC Windows should load the drivers and it should just work without any configuration. If you are using it on a Mac you need NTFS for Mac and you will be set up to go back in forth between your mac and pc with the same files. I dont want to give you incorrect bad news but power outage/restoration can cause problems for computers and hard drives. Going forward at the very least you should get a powerstrip that protects you from surge.

I spent an extra 10 dollars for a 2 year replacement warranty. I forget who the company is but after reading product reviews I was both sold on the drive and the warranty.

Yeah I have a PC, and I had it working, but it wasn't a surge it was me knocking the cord out with my foot.

This is really pissing me off, as the bios screen recognises there is a drive there (as does Tuneup Utilities) however Windows isn't recognising it at all.

I think I might just have to do a fresh install of Windows on the harddrive that isn't working maybe that will fix it?

NDISWRAPPER. It took me a few tries but i got it to work. There are youtube videos

that will take you thru the steps. Save the .tar to a flash drive and follow documentation

that is available online.

Im going to speculate that you have a Broadcom wireless card. Broadcom didn't share source code with the open source community. I hate Broadcom. NDISWrapper allows you to use windows drivers with linux distros. However, unless you are comfortable in the Terminal this could give you some trouble.

Someone told me that this will also work for Ubuntu. That link:

Another possible solution is for Backtrack but Backtrack is based on Ubuntu.

You could also try a wireless USB

Good luck

My computer uses a Realtek wireless driver though, its a Toshiba Staelite L505D-S598

Let me think on it some Silba. I'm no Casek. Im getting better at troubleshooting but any advice you get from me should be taken with a grain of salt. Often feel like i'm better at figuring out what is not causing the problem. I think it may still be driver related tho...

Dear *****'s computer corner

Why does my iPhone keep picking up this secured wireless network in the middle of the fucking woods? My driveway is 4+ miles long and I deal with wild animals daily. It's been over a month of picking it up daily. Also it seems that cell reception drops on carriers phones when I pick it up. my phone has no cell reception (fuck you AT&T) my laptop has failed to pick it up. Other carrier uses same network as Verizon does in general.

Thanks

Hello Computer People,

I have located a website which contains content prepared for a online course. I wish to download this content to my computer in order to work through it on my own.

The directories contain PDF's and Zipped files which I know how I can just open them and save the files, so unless there is some sort of tool to rip the whole directory.

The video directory is what I am looking for help on, the files are wmv files and if I click on one it will start to buffer and then play on Windows Media Player on my computer. I do not know how to save it from there and am interested to know what would be a better way to capture these videos.

I realize that this is like a super basic question but would really appreciate any guidance on this.

I think I'm in some need of help because I believe I just fried my CPU yesterday. Was playing battlefield and computer just powered off. The LED light on the front of the case near the power/reset buttons is just blinking, not doing anything when I push the power buttons. Any ideas? Assuming this rig cant be fixed, I need to build another budget pc. It has been a while since I put one together.. What would be considered a good GPU these days? I have an 8800 which was mad expensive and the best when I built my last pc, but I'm sure there is something much better. I want to be able to play BF3 comfortably. Please and thanks for the help.

I'm not sure what you prefer best, ATI or Nvidia.

ATI has good products and its generally on par if not better than Nvidia.

Nvidia also has good products but a little more expensive and usually consume more power.

You didn't state your budget so I'll just say to look into the Nvidia 500 series (560)<200.00 or 400 series (460 >) <150.00.

For ATI you might want to look into the 6800-6900 series, i has almost the same price point as above but they usually consume less energy and perform the same as the range above in some areas.

For the cpu, go with a sandy bridge, the i5 will be plenty for your needs.

Take a look at this to make your own comparisons and decisions.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah I have a PC, and I had it working, but it wasn't a surge it was me knocking the cord out with my foot.

This is really pissing me off, as the bios screen recognises there is a drive there (as does Tuneup Utilities) however Windows isn't recognising it at all.

I think I might just have to do a fresh install of Windows on the harddrive that isn't working maybe that will fix it?

This could be two things, a change in boot order or a corrupt bootloader.

Boot Order:

Lets start with the easy one. The boot order of a drive is more prone to be changed when there are more than 2 drives in the computer. If you only have one drive in this laptop then you may want to skip this part. When your computer boots, log into the bios settings (usually by pressing Esc or some F-key, then a blue screen with options should appear) once you are in there try to look for the menu that says "boot" once there you can switch the order of the drives up or down. Make sure you know which drive the OS is intalled in and set that one to be the first one.

Startup Repair:

If the above steps do not work you can try to fix how windows starts and you will need the OS install disc for this step. Insert the disc and proceed to load it as if you were doing a fresh install on your computer. Once you arrive on the "Install Now" page select the option at the bottom that says " Repair your computer", then after that select "Startup Repair" and follow the steps.

Bootloader Repair:

If the above steps still don't do it for you, you can attempt to repair the booloader.

To do this you will need to follow the same steps as Startup Repair but now, instead of selecting "Startup Repair" select "Command Prompt" and you will now see a black screen and you will need to enter:

To repair Master Boot Record

bootrec /fixmbr

To write new boot sector

bootrec /fixboot 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why does my iPhone keep picking up this secured wireless network in the middle of the fucking woods? My driveway is 4+ miles long and I deal with wild animals daily. It's been over a month of picking it up daily. Also it seems that cell reception drops on carriers phones when I pick it up. my phone has no cell reception (fuck you AT&T) my laptop has failed to pick it up. Other carrier uses same network as Verizon does in general.

Thanks

You might need to disable wifi. Go to Settings> Wi-fi> off.

Hello Computer People,

I have located a website which contains content prepared for a online course. I wish to download this content to my computer in order to work through it on my own.

The directories contain PDF's and Zipped files which I know how I can just open them and save the files, so unless there is some sort of tool to rip the whole directory.

The video directory is what I am looking for help on, the files are wmv files and if I click on one it will start to buffer and then play on Windows Media Player on my computer. I do not know how to save it from there and am interested to know what would be a better way to capture these videos.

I realize that this is like a super basic question but would really appreciate any guidance on this.

There are site crawlers out there but I'm not really familiar with them to be honest.

About the videos, how is the content presented? Are there links that you follow and the video automatically opens up or are there presented with a windows player where you click play to buffer them. If you have a link you usually right click on it and "save as" which will save it to your computer.

You could try something like jdownloader and see if that works. It usually grabs whatever you're viewing.

Another one is Flashget, I think this one had an option to crawl through a webpage and download its content but its a little confusing to use as I remember it.

page 666..

anyways was wondering if there any torrents available for microsoft word? orrrr no

Yes Microsoft Word is available, which version are you looking for specifically? You are better off getting Microsoft Office 2010 though as it comes with power point, excel, and outlook, etc.

I'm not sure of which type of torrent site you are most familiar with but I would highly recommend getting from a source like demonoid, iff you need an invite I have plenty.

ps-pg666 FTW

• Like 1

Thanks

Is there a device nearby broadcasting an ad hoc network? Try isolating it by turning off anything that might be broadcasting a wireless signal.

Failing that, maybe your iPhone is a witch...try throwing it in the nearest river and see if it floats. If it does, it's in league with the devil and you have to burn it at the stake.

Silba, try Mint and/or get a USB wifi card. Much cheaper and less gay (and yes, this was posted on a Mac).

Hello Computer People,

There is a Firefox plugin called FlashGot (http://flashgot.net/). Peek at their website, this might be what you are looking for. You just highlight the content you want, right click, select flashgot selection.. and all content selected is downloaded at once.

• Like 1

so, i recently had a system upgrade to my pc at my place of employment. i have tried about 20 times to download adobe reader, but to no avail. i have checked my firewall settings, antivirus settings, etc., but i can't seem to figure out what the problem is. it installs half-way, then i get an error.

any help? thanks.

so, i recently had a system upgrade to my pc at my place of employment. i have tried about 20 times to download adobe reader, but to no avail. i have checked my firewall settings, antivirus settings, etc., but i can't seem to figure out what the problem is. it installs half-way, then i get an error.

any help? thanks.

It would help if you post the error message you're receiving.

You could always try something like foxit.

Locked as in password protected?

I'm not sure if you're suppose to be able to see it in itunes but it should be detected when connected to your computer.

You could try and restore it by pressing home+power for 20 seconds and releasing the power button only while holding home for another 10 seconds

Anybody know why my disk space on my macbook would start to gradually disappear when I'm using it?

It just starts filling up somewhere and I do not know why.

When I reboot it goes back to normal, but the process starts all over again afterwards.

I have checked my logs and found no large memory usage.

I have done disk repair.

I have repaired the permissions.

I have checked mac forums-these were annoying, confusing, circular and mostly outdated.

Anyone?

In before "BUY A PC, FAGGOT!"