<<< 12Oz Computer Tech Support SuperThread >>>

Mainter

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Seriously considering getting this-

Lenovo IdeaPad B575-1450A5U

I'm fairly certain I won't find anything better than that for the money. I've been using an IdeaCentre workstation for the past few months, and so far that's been rock solid...Lenovo makes some good stuff.

$299.99

$335.23 with est. tax

that is not bad at all ( really good for the specs and at best buy nonetheless)

I might pick me up a few to resell

im lookin into tryin to make my computer run faster(it runs good an above averasge but im tryin to make it run faster) an i have a couple questions

1. does having 5 accounts in my computer affect it speed wise

2. do movie files slow down my computer imight have 4 in one account annd 2 in an other

3. by erasing any type of file(music video movie pic etc) an sending it to the ecycle bin an then erasing it from there guarantee muy computer will run faster

thanks

The best thing you can do to speed up your computer is add some ram. How much ram do you have now (right click my computer and go to properties)? The amount of stuff on your hard drive (profiles, files etc) could effect the speed if your hard drive is running low on space. Deleting things does not necessarily mean a faster computer.

Do this:

1. Find out how much RAM you have now. Add more.

2.Go to Start, Control Panel, Add/Remove programs and remove anything you dont use.

3. Delete any files you dont use.

4.Download CCLEANER and run it. http://www.piriform.com/CCLEANER

5. Also scan for malware ( download Malwarebytes and run a full scan) http://malwarebytes.org

Just as a hypothetical: Say i wanted to download 210 TB as a backup archive from a private torrent site? What would be the best way to go about this?

The reason I ask is that any private torrent site has a finite life. Loss of interest, RIAA, not enough money etc.

I got a 1.5 TB for $60 on sale and even at full price, 210 TB would run $9,600. I am not asking because I want to start a torrent site, I would just like to attempt to back it up for when the next site that takes its place can have it. I'd leave it to the mods etc to figure out the technical behind it.

Meh, it's probably not going to happen but if it were, what would be the best way to go about backing up 210Tb that you have to download personally?

Guest Ginger Bread Man

all i can say is that is alot of info. hope you have investors as you will need some rack mount servers...

why not just compete against google while you are at it.

to do something reliable is going to set you back at least 20k

if im not mistakened. the link provided by mephis below does not include hard drives?

all i can say is that is alot of info. hope you have investors as you will need some rack mount servers...

This a legit question, no ch0 sarcasm etc. Just to gather the data? I will not be transmitting the data personally.

why not just compete against google while you are at it.
This is no where near the amount of data google stores.

to do something reliable is going to set you back at least 20k
We are just investigating at this point so money may or may not be an option. I am working under the the pretense that it is a pipe dream but if it did come to be, we would be under serious financial constraints but 20K might not be unreasonable.

if im not mistakened. the link provided by mephis below does not include hard drives?

Yeah if your not gonna distribute it your just gonna need a shitload of hard drive space. I mean 210 Tb is a fucking lot of data. You could do it with 210 1tb external drives I suppose. You should be able to do this for well under 20k.

get yo'self 105 of these: http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Barracuda-3-5-Inch-Internal-ST2000DL003/dp/tech-data/B004CCS266

and one of these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001OORMVQ/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001JQMEBM&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0WX3FFCPRXYX8PYBNQR7

and a good internet connection.

Guest Ginger Bread Man

obviously i was joking with the google part but mephis is right you can bridge 100 drives together <gonna get real clustered unless you design a little setup yourself where you can stack them all on top of each other some how. i mentioned the word reliability, remember that cheap is most often times NOT better.

210 tb distributed over 105 2tb hd may spell disaster, these drives have mechanical parts, more mechanical parts increases the risk of partial or total data loss at any given drive.

if it is just a backup that wont be used for more than transferring info from one virtual drive to the next, you may get away with it. considering so much data is at stake, i wouldn't risk it.

Ya. I am just talking about some rare 1920's blues on up to Lady Gaga. Just stuff that we think should be archived, kind of as a Smithsonian type effort. There are 14 of us that are willing to rent seedboxes and purchase external drives and basically store the shit away once they are done. Pirates with a purpose as it were and the largest archive we have found is 210TB. This is on a private tracker.

When this tracker goes down, as we fear it will, it would be nice to set up another one but if not, fuck it. The data is there. Again It's probably just a fucking dream but it would be ok if a couple of us made it happen.

*no i am not smoking weed

• Like 1

ok well you should be getting 10.0 Mbps down - and 1.5 upstream for a about $45-$59 depending on the city.

I know comcast is in Chicago which really sucks ( they have bandwidth limits and shit ( another subject but anyway. If you never had them before you should try them

but here is a big secret. Call a bunch of times and keep getting price quotes and as soon as you get a person say you can get locked into a promo deal for $19.99 a month for the first 6 months - sometimes they say a year snag it- after the 6th month they will jump to $47.99.

you are locked in for I believe 2 years. ( but don't quote me on that )

it may take 10 to 15 calls to get an operator to tell you about the $19.99 promo ( its a slip up that new operators make )

• Like 1

Question.

When viewing the oontz sometimes something tries to redirect me to ( http://xpmyfdfxxp.com/index2.php?06abQDYyQRKXBTny+nszi8D+KmtuYXdrel1ec3SpU1gBMMJ4EnuD ) my Symantec protection stops it and says Fake App Attack, Fake AV download request?.... something it doesnt like was trying something and it goes to the 'cannot display page'

I was guessing it could be some spyware or something but It only happens when viewing 12oz and i think really just Ch. O

suggestions? is this in the site or on my computer? happens at both of my work computers which are located at 2 very different locations.

got a linux question. I bought a new HP notebook. Wireless is something of a problem i've come to realize between notebooks and Linux. I downloaded an Intel driver from the HP site and it is apparantly an acceptable wireless driver for a linux OS. If i load ubuntu and I physically connect to my router and go to the HP site for drivers and software.... will i be able to load that driver and connect to the internet. Unless i'm mistaken .exe dont mean shit in Linux.

Whats the best method for running this system on my notebook? I sort of want to dual boot between windows and linux. Anybody have any advice?

I had a cracked version of daemon tools installed but it seems that either the crack didn't work or I didn't do something right. Either way, What do I need to delete, registry entry I am guessing, to at least be able to run the trial version one more time?

I have 3GB of Ram(2.75 usable) on my Toshiba Satellite L505D

I was wondering If I could upgrade to 8GB of RAM would be a viable upgrade

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139481

Is it worth it?

Would it be able to be placed into my Laptop?

What is the full model number? ( because the L505D series only takes DDR2 PC2-6400 DDR2-800 and the RAM you posted would not compatible.

But yes you will see a very smooth computer after you install 8GB ( still not sure if your model is compatible of 8GB I think 4GB is the Max again find out the full model number

or run this program it will tell you everything you need

http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/

What is the full model number? ( because the L505D series only takes DDR2 PC2-6400 DDR2-800 and the RAM you posted would not compatible.

But yes you will see a very smooth computer after you install 8GB ( still not sure if your model is compatible of 8GB I think 4GB is the Max again find out the full model number

or run this program it will tell you everything you need

http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/

L505D-S598

http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/viewscanbyid.aspx?id=4C3AB92131D926C3

Alot mroe expensive than I originally thought...