<<< 12Oz Computer Tech Support SuperThread >>>

Mainter

I've always been a fan of Linksys routers. I like that the firmware can be "hacked" (DD-WRT, Tomato, etc)

and you have more choices for hardening, control over internets, etc.

Has to be from AT&T?

well dosent have to be, but Thats the company I use.

I was thinking maybe the router itself was broke because it makes a popping noise and all the light go off, but I think maybe it struggles with bandwidth.

How do I hack it? link?

And WTF is up with my connection speed, I should be getting 500 kb/s or so, but I'm only getting around 100, could that be the router as well

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
well dosent have to be, but Thats the company I use.

I was thinking maybe the router itself was broke because it makes a popping noise and all the light go off, but I think maybe it struggles with bandwidth.

How do I hack it? link?

And WTF is up with my connection speed, I should be getting 500 kb/s or so, but I'm only getting around 100, could that be the router as well

You don't have to have an at&t router. To "hack" a linksys is only replacing the firmware.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJ4c_FxVQBc

The slow speed may be a number of things. What's the setup look like?

If I were to download a FLAC image with a cue sheet, split the image to tracks, burn it it to a cd, then re rip to produce a log file, would that be the same as ripping from an original audio source or would there be a signifigant loss of quality for a true audiophile to discern?

The larger wattage power supply is the one you want to replace it with.

Hope it's over 200 watts.

Ok... I swapped out the power supply w/ a 250 watt PS, but the same thing is happening. I though it might be something as simple as the switch, but that seems to be functioning alright as well. I was thinking maybe it's the connection points from the PS to the Mobo, but the mobo stays lit up.

Any more suggestions?

So I inherited a 2.6 GHz Gateway 310 x. Only 2.6, but this is a step up from the 1.6 Ghz I'm currently running. However, it won't fully power up.

It begins powering up as soon as i plug it in and then dies after about 5 seconds. If I turn it off immediately, I can press the power button later and it will boot up for 5 seconds and die, otherwise the power button doesn't respond after it dies.

The green light around the processor stays on, and the red light towards the bottom of the motherboard flashes when i plug it in and again right before it dies.

I tried unplugging some of the components (hard disk, cd roms, mouse), but it did not seem to have any effect.

The motherboard and processor look ok in that i don't see any leaks from a surge or anything and i tried cleaning everything, but still no dice.

Power supply issue or what?

Either you have a short circuit in the case or a geometry problem placing an unacceptable stress on the motherboard.

also check to see if you got thermal paste on the CPU( reseat the CPU)

Clear the CMOS also (flip the silver battery over just let it sit in its little spot flip the computer on for a second and the turn it off flip the battery back

Either you have a short circuit in the case or a geometry problem placing an unacceptable stress on the motherboard.

also check to see if you got thermal paste on the CPU( reseat the CPU)

Clear the CMOS also (flip the silver battery over just let it sit in its little spot flip the computer on for a second and the turn it off flip the battery back

I've tried both... same results.

However, in reseating the CPU, I did notice that the capacitors adjacent to the CPU seem to have some corrosion or something on the top. Hopefully this doesn't mean the mobo is fried?

Not much of a computer question, but I thought I would share this with you guys.

I was at my girlfriends house when her roommate, a friend of mine, comes out and asks me for help to bring something in. I agree and as we're walking outside I ask him what it was. He basically tells me that his manager at his job gave him one of these bad boys:

R510_12bay.jpg

Except his only had six HDD's instead of twelve. Nonetheless, that motherfucker was a beauty. From what I saw when I took a peek at it, it had: two dual core processors, twelve GB of ram, at least 2 TB of memory, and I suppose each HDD spun at at least 1500 RPM. My mind was blown since this was the first time I've ever seen a server. I fell in love with it; it's a pretty cool thing. I could just imagine having four different operating systems on one "desktop." It'd be useless, but still pretty fucking cool.

Yeah, thought i'd have to see a techie at this point.'

On to another issue. I was recently given a 2 year old Ipod chromatic. It had been used probably less than 50 times in 2 years. IT was working absolutely great at first, but after maybe 5 uses or so, it would freeze or die out of nowhere. I could reset it, and it would work from 3-30 minutes and then die again. IT was charging fine before, but at this point it doesn't charge at all (on a PC or a mac). When I plug it in, the connect screen turns on and it shuts down after 10 seconds.

I'm guessing this is a battery issue and I need to swap it out?

I have had VERY limited success with running pirated programs, to the point of giving up, which i guess in the long run is the easiest.

I have nero 10. Any tips?

http://pastebin.com/pbZ1yE01

I guess what i am really asking is houw to make this iso a bootable dvd in nero 10

you dont need it to be bootable ( just use 7zip) and grab the setup.exe