The Skateboard Thread

SPORTO

This old man loves to push around the city . I just don't think spending an hour trying to do a handrail or a stair set is worth it...pretty silly to me . Day to day riding , Cleveland was just voted #1 Worst Weather for a city to live in . If I can hit up a rad park in Southern Ohio , so be it . The weather makes for some amazing warehouse/mini ramp/bowl setups you'd only find in the Midwest because of the shitty weather .

You dont fit that category. I dont either, I spend more time on my board in parks.

Neither of us are seeking sponsorship.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Hiro does indeed skate with them , and is more or less their liaison in Japan when the team comes through . Hiro got some footage on Hesh Law which was nice .

Hiro's myspace page ---> http://www.myspace.com/1004496269

Word, Hiro introduced himself to me on the train out there randomly. Dude was holding two beers and wasted before noon...friendly individual.

This poor man died giving a passionate speech in favor of a new skatepark in a town where I live nearby . Bay Village not only needs to build this park but name it after Randy Stang .

There is an audio link to his speech .

http://www.cleveland.com/brett/blog/index.ssf/2010/02/bay_village_mans_last_words_we.html

The PSG ( Public Square Group ) http://www.publicsquaregroup.com/thank-you-randy-stang

For his final statement he pointed to the overhead photo of the park and highlighted his house on the map….

“You can put that skatepark right in my back yard.”

Damn, thats crazy and sad. Kinda reminds me back when Philly was trying to make skating at Love park illegal, and the architect who designed the plaza came down and said that skating there should be allowed. He even stood on a board and showed up at a rally the one day. The dude was like 70 or older. Sadly, years later he passed away, and its still illegal to skate there. Some good sessions did go down this past summer though. First time id seen 20+ skaters there in the daytime.

Also, does anyone know the following:

Why did truck companies decide to move the outer bolt holes on trucks closer to the hangars back in the 90s?

Why did Venture shirts and trucks used to say AWAKE on them? what was that supposed to mean?

Are most indoor parks fucking slippery as ice? I went to one recently that was made of masonite or skatelite or something, and the shit was so slippery that it was basically unskateable. You would powerslide automatically if you turned the slightest bit.

pfft, ya its never gonna get built unless we capture some hostages and state our demands, thats the word, haha.

seriously though, i have no idea, and i really wish they would build that fuckin place, and put the tens of thousands of dollars of donated money to where its supposed to be..

edit: i just went to the website and it froze my computer for a solid 10 minutes, so i guess thats the word.

double edit: the last update was 08.... and this is all the money they had back then... i wonder how much of this they didnt spend on bullshit.

Foundation Support

$1,142,000.00 TOTAL

Peter and Carolyn Lynch Foundation- Challenge Grant $500,000.00

Anonymous $110,000.00

Peter and Carolyn Lynch Foundation $100,000.00

Anonymous $75,000.00

Highland Street Foundation $75,000.00

Anonymous $50,000.00

Herman and Frieda L. Miller Foundation $50,000.00

Hunt Alternatives Fund $26,000.00

Boston Bruins Foundation $25,000.00

Harold Whitworth Pierce Charitable Foundation $25,000.00

Kessler Foundation $25,000.00

Rowland Foundation $20,000.00

Paul and Phyllis Fireman Charitable Foundation $10,000.00

Garthwaite Family Foundation $10,000.00

Tomfohrde Foundation $10,000.00

Boston Foundation (for youth involvement) $6,000.00

Curious George Fund $5,000.00

Tony Hawk Foundation $5,000.00

Turner Family Foundation $5,000.00

Cambridge Savings Charitable Foundation $3,500.00

Boston Foundation for Architecture $3,500.00

New York Times Foundation $2,250.00

Anonymous $750.00

Corporate Support

$36,732.00 TOTAL

CambridgeSide Galleria $15,000.00

DVS Shoes $5,600.00

Boston Sand and Gravel $5,000.00

The Law Office of Clark, Hunt & Embry $5,000.00

Anchor Capital Advisors, Inc. $2,500.00

Cambridge Trust Company $1,000.00

East Cambridge Savings Company $1,000.00

Post Office Square Redevelopment Corporation $1,000.00

Monkdeth Skateboards $132.00

Inline Club of Boston $100.00

Newton Yacht Club $100.00

Veevers Associates $100.00

Carlone and Associates $100.00

Longitude Dial LLC $100.00

Public Support

$450,000.00 TOTAL

City of Cambridge $200,000.00

State of Massachusetts $150,000.00

Boston Redevelopment Authority $100,000.00

Individual Donors:

$560,492.00 TOTAL

FUNDRAISING TOTALS TO DATE:

$2,189,224.00 TOTAL

I emailed someone from the website, this is the response I got a few days later:

Dear Skatepark Supporter:

We wanted to provide you with an update on the project. We appreciate your patience and want to assure all of our donors (whether you have given $5 or $1,000 or even more) that the skatepark funds are safely invested. Over the last two years, the project has been moving forward, although slowly due to a number of complex issues. In 2007-2008, these issues included new information about site constraints, contaminated soil, and other factors that necessitated a new conceptual design of the skatepark. During that time, we were meeting with various agencies and companies to learn more about these developments and how to phase skatepark construction accordingly.

As the financial crisis towards the end of 2008 became increasingly severe, other more long-term concerns came to the forefront of our discussions. With state budgets and personnel being cut at every level, it became clearer that the state would likely not have the funds to maintain the skatepark. As a result, we began to work more closely with the state to resolve these concerns, shared by both the Conservancy and the state agencies involved, that enough funds be available for an endowment fund that would cover the maintenance costs for years to come.

During 2009, our work on this consisted of working with the state to identify funds that could be used for construction, while setting aside other funds for long-term maintenance. This has involved close collaboration with state agencies such as the Department of Conservation and Recreation (DCR), the Executive Office of Environmental and Energy Affairs (EOEEA), and the, now former, Massachusetts Turnpike Authority (MTA). These agencies have been greatly affected by the current economic climate, as well as the Patrick administration’s merger of the various transportation agencies into the new MassDOT. The skatepark project, which proposes construction on a site under the Zakim Bridge previously owned by the Mass Highway Department and in the custody of the MTA, has inevitably been affected by this transition, and by the transfer of the skatepark site and roughly 40 acres of adjacent parkland from MassDOT to DCR. But we have been working with all the agencies to make sure the skatepark continues to be advanced in the context of these new developments.

In the meantime, we continue to meet regularly with the DCR to discuss issues related to the design, construction, and long-term maintenance of the facility—as well as the phasing of the skatepark project with other Big Dig mitigation parkland projects in the area. We also are excited about the state’s recent success in September in its application for federal stimulus funds to construct the pedestrian bridge which will link Charlestown and East Cambridge, thus making the skatepark even more accessible. (For the last few years, it seemed unlikely that this bridge would ever be built.)

We understand that many of you have been eagerly waiting for this skatepark for a long time; we share your sense of urgency that this project be completed as soon as possible. We are working hard to make that happen. And while we are optimistic that final design and construction will begin sometime within the next year, we acknowledge that there are still details regarding the maintenance of the park after it is constructed that need to be worked out with the state. We are in the process of working these out now.

Because of our limited staff, it is sometimes difficult for us to respond promptly to your inquiries. We know that many of you are eager to volunteer or help in some way to speed the process, and we greatly appreciate and are buoyed by such offers and generosity. At present, however, we believe we are moving things as quickly and effectively as possible, with the help of our generous pro-bono lawyer at WilmerHale, our volunteer skatepark committee members, and several other hardworking consultants who have been involved in the project for the last few years.

As the project gathers momentum and direction in the next few months, we anticipate being able to send updates more frequently.

Thank you for all your support.

---

Charles River Conservancy

Four Brattle St

Cambridge, MA 02138

T: 617.608.1410

F: 617.491.1245

http://www.TheCharles.org

i dont know if this guys been posted before, but besides these tricks where hes skatin around like a dog hes got some cool stuff down. master of awkward footing.

its pretty obvious that....

a. this dudes favorite video is rodney mullens second hand smoke part.

and

b. every generation needs a simon woodstock