The Great Photography Superthread

H. Lecter

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Great Pictures~

The picture from Kevin Carter is extremely powerful, theres no doubt. Take it as you will and read into the little stories what you want. I'm sure ive heard there was Red Cross aid just outside the frame.

20040920apadams_450.jpg

DD100_6005i.jpg

Another one people probs seen/heard about before ^^

This is one of my all time favorite photographs. I remember as a kid always thinking that the guy holding the pistol was a ruthless killer shooting a civilian in the street like that, then a few years later I learned that this photo was taken right before the fall of Saigon and the "civilian" was the leader of a NVA death squad that had rounded up and shot unarmed civillians in the street, and the guy with the pistol was actually a Saigon police officer or some shit. Everyone always assumed he was some evil, heartless killer without knowing the story. I may be off on a few facts here, someone correct me if I'm wrong. I know the guy moved to the U.S. and opened a resturaunt. Really emotional photo for sure though.

This is one of my all time favorite photographs. I remember as a kid always thinking that the guy holding the pistol was a ruthless killer shooting a civilian in the street like that, then a few years later I learned that this photo was taken right before the fall of Saigon and the "civilian" was the leader of a NVA death squad that had rounded up and shot unarmed civillians in the street, and the guy with the pistol was actually a Saigon police officer or some shit. Everyone always assumed he was some evil, heartless killer without knowing the story. I may be off on a few facts here, someone correct me if I'm wrong. I know the guy moved to the U.S. and opened a resturaunt. Really emotional photo for sure though.

Maybe you should see the video with his brains oozing out to the ground.

Background stories don't make the shooter much of a hero to me, no matter what the cuffed, unarmed dude had done previously in his life.

Maybe you should see the video with his brains oozing out to the ground.

Background stories don't make the shooter much of a hero to me, no matter what the cuffed, unarmed dude had done previously in his life.

That man was/is in no way a hero to me, I just always found it somewhat interesting that people assumed that the man being executed was just some innocent bystander that just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. The guy who took the photo later admitted that although it was the photo that made him famous, he wishes he never took it, it ended up ruining the Saigon police officers life. On another note, you and I can sit here all day and talk about what we'd do in certain situations, but we weren't there. I'm sure everyone was a little out of their minds and I think that photograph conveys some really raw emotions extremely well.

^I knew the story behind the photo before I saw it, I guess that's why I replied.

Or maybe because I saw the video before the photo.

Anyway I've never claimed to be the ivory tower dude or anything. What I would do in similiar conditions wouldn't probably differ much from what usually happens.

My point was, I'd expect to have my life ruined if I ever shot someone in the head like that...