The Great Photography Superthread

H. Lecter

Re: Great Pictures~

From Wikipedia:

On July 27, 1994 Carter drove to the Braamfonteinspruit river, near the Field and Study Center, an area he used to play at as a child, and took his own life by taping one end of a hose to his pickup truck’s exhaust pipe and running the other end to the passenger-side window. He died of carbon monoxide poisoning at the age of 33. The last person to see Carter alive was Oosterbroek's widow, Monica. Portions of Carter's suicide note read:

"I am depressed ... without phone ... money for rent ... money for child support ... money for debts ... money!!! ... I am haunted by the vivid memories of killings & corpses & anger & pain ... of starving or wounded children, of trigger-happy madmen, often police, of killer executioners...I have gone to join Ken if I am that lucky."

...Ummmmm, Yeah, real terrible...

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From Wikipedia:

On July 27, 1994 Carter drove to the Braamfonteinspruit river, near the Field and Study Center, an area he used to play at as a child, and took his own life by taping one end of a hose to his pickup truck’s exhaust pipe and running the other end to the passenger-side window. He died of carbon monoxide poisoning at the age of 33. The last person to see Carter alive was Oosterbroek's widow, Monica. Portions of Carter's suicide note read:

"I am depressed ... without phone ... money for rent ... money for child support ... money for debts ... money!!! ... I am haunted by the vivid memories of killings & corpses & anger & pain ... of starving or wounded children, of trigger-happy madmen, often police, of killer executioners...I have gone to join Ken if I am that lucky."

...Ummmmm, Yeah, real terrible...

First off, Carter had previously expressed severe depression. As a result of being a photographer, he had already see tons of suffering death throughout Africa. Furthermore, his family has said that he was a perfectionist and was prone to panic attacks/bouts of depression. I love the photograph and think its very powerful, but by laying on bullshit stories only takes away.

Also, that wiki article is absolute crap. Much of that suicide note is false.

And lastly, I was referring to his supposed heavy criticism. That's why I said it "sounds terrible," not his beliefs/intentions/feelings/whatever.

I've seen this photo before but didn't know the photgrapher was criticized in this manner.

What were the critics saying that the photographer should have done instead to help this child, exactly?

He got his camera and shit out, and left the bird alone so he could get the shot. I don't know what happened to the child, but he was criticized for putting the photograph above the child's safety. It was kind of a question of reporter/photographer objectivity and whether the value of the photograph in helping bring the situation home to a broader audience was worth the risk of letting this kid get chomped by the bird.

He got his camera and shit out, and left the bird alone so he could get the shot. I don't know what happened to the child, but he was criticized for putting the photograph above the child's safety. It was kind of a question of reporter/photographer objectivity and whether the value of the photograph in helping bring the situation home to a broader audience was worth the risk of letting this kid get chomped by the bird.

The bird in the picture is a vulture. A Vulture is a scavenger, meaning it feeds on things that are already dead. They do not kill there own food.

When I saw the pick I though the bird was waiting for the kid the to die of starvation so the bird can have a feast.

The bird in the picture is a vulture. A Vulture is a scavenger, meaning it feeds on things that are already dead. They do not kill there own food.

When I saw the pick I though the bird was waiting for the kid the to die of starvation so the bird can have a feast.

"Vultures seldom attack healthy animals, but may kill the wounded or sick." - wikipedia

It's pretty apparent why he was criticized. Not sure what side I would take though.