Toys post here...

swif1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
1 hour ago, Ray40 said:

I should have listened to you @delvit looks horrible but my mom said I should do something “pretty” please tell me how horrible it is and if I will ever be good because this is worse than my first time

7CE5EAF4-26EA-4E4B-BDCE-C456DF2362E4.jpeg

4C51FAFC-972E-4A40-896B-882F9DDC4ED4.jpeg

Don't panic! It's just a new tool you need to learn to use. If you in you back garden you got time no rushing. Just mess around and get to know how the can feels there are tutorials on YouTube you can watch for drills to improve or sharpen your skills with a can. 

• Like 1

You did better the  I would have expected. My first time painting I used two hands. It did not work out well.  And I agree with @delv just make a bunch of lines. Learn how fast it sprays and how much pressure you need to apply.  Also make lines with the cans tip and different angles.  And see how close you hold it to get it to drip or not to drip. You cant learn form a mistake if you dont first make the mistake.  As of right now you are not doing anything wrong. Play with it have fun.  Painting should be fun. No rules my friend just right.

2 minutes ago, Ray40 said:

Thanks @Giantthat really lifts me up

18 hours ago, Ray40 said:

Just wondering what I should practice on my plywood tomorrow, tags, throws, pieces. I still need to learn can control so I need to know what is best 

All of it. All graff started from a tag. So that is what would suggest.  But as I have said befor no rules just right.

@Ray40- to put things in perspective... this was my very first piece, and believe me, It didn't get much better for quite a while after that. Takes everyone a while to get the hang of it. Don't stress on it. Take your time and it'll all come to you eventually. Just enjoy this time learning and practicing and getting used to the spraypaint. Play with different caps, fading colors, all that. 

first_piece.jpg

• Like 2
  • Props 4

@Ray40- I see  that you have some drips there that you probably didn't mean to have.  It takes a bit of practice to get over that.  One thing that you can keep in mind is try to get your work done using as little paint as possible.  If you're getting drips it's because you're either too close to the piece, moving too slowly, or pushing the cap down too hard and spraying the max  the can can spray. ..... or some combination of all of those things.

Try dusting paint on to the piece in a controlled fashion and try holding the can further away while still being able to maintain a good line.  Doing those things should help you ramp up in skill a bit faster.

• Like 3

@Ray40- Your outlines are looking so much better than where you were six months ago, so good job pushing yourself. In the last few sketches you posted I really liked the two in the image posted below, but I took letters from each and put them together to show you, in your style, how you can tighten them up. 

B2201806-547D-46FF-AB71-5FF59F1197E5.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Props 1

On 3/18/2020 at 6:25 AM, Ray40 said:

4442E9AA-DB9D-45D9-A5C7-4FD45FA167E2.jpeg

Those little 18" (45cm) tall throwies are not only difficult to paint, but don't serve the reason of a throwup. Scale is important, speed is important. I know it's a waste of paint but your throwup should be as tall as that board. Color wise - try to stick to very contrasting colors for outline and fill. The bottom left is fine but the green and dark red looks muddy. Think about the majority of throwups you see out there - most of them are white fill with black outline, or black outline with white fill. High contrasting colors work best. 

Just do the outline, no fill, to conserve paint as you're learning. 

Edited by Joker
Added final thought...
  • Truth 1

Are outlining in your fill color and then filling and then go back outlining with black? Or are you outlining black and trying to color in the lines?.... I ask because your fill looks spotty.  Looks you tried to color in the lines. Try making a smooth motion left to right. Moving your arm all the way across each letter in a single motion.  This will give you a smooth finish.

Okay so watched a how to piece video from The Artist Block to see if I could learn anything new and in the video Grim states that when constructing a block letter the bars have to connect at the verticies. But what about an L where I only see one of the verticies actually makes contact with a verticies from another bar. And what about the letter T where there it connects at the center of the bar and not any of the verticies? I know I’ve gotta be misunderstanding something but I can’t exactly put my finger on it. Would someone mind clearing that up?

BEE918B7-EA58-4854-B20A-31923FFB844E.jpeg

Edited by Aristo

@Ray40bigger bigger bigger. Im pretty excited about your progress lil homie. Try to fill the whole board up with one piece. Your letters can be 4 feet tall and 32 inches wide each. I always found it easier to go big with letter structure than to build tiny letters. I could never get letter proportion right on a small scale. Keep it up bro.

• Like 2