bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

ok...so THE LAW was riding back from the liquor store yesterday after a long and grueling day at work. In addition, he had ridden through some pretty hellacious weather on the ten mile commute home from work. you get the point, yesterday sucked.

...back to the story...THE LAW's riding back from the liquor store at around 10 last night with 30 cans of the cheapo local brew on his handlebars ready to get busy on his living room couch.... needless to say, 30 beers on a roadbike is a disaster waiting to happen. less than 100 yards from home, THE LAW hits a bump and takes the spill to end all spills into some family's halloween decorations. Sweet comforting beers were all over the sidewalk and THE LAW had give one to a restaurant employee who saw the whole thing and helped THE LAW and his poor beers up off the ground. it sucked.

ok...that didn't have much to do with bikes, but it had to do with THE LAW falling off of one and it keeps this topic near the top.

just thought i'd quote this from pg 27

this thread is a good read.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Been on Kauai for two weeks now, my bike finally arrived. goddamn is it a whole different ballgame riding in this heat/wind... not to mention i'm out of shape. working on turning that around though. Doubtful, but does anyone have any experience riding in Hawaii? Kauai in particular... 50 mph speed limit + little to no shoulder = stressed riding.... i'm getting used to it though.

Ah, I remember riding in Maui with similar shit. Hot weather and the worst winds I've ridden in. Tips... figure out the time of day when wind is at it's weakest and ride then. For me it was the morning.

Ah, I remember riding in Maui with similar shit. Hot weather and the worst winds I've ridden in. Tips... figure out the time of day when wind is at it's weakest and ride then. For me it was the morning.

yeah, i've been trying to pin down weather patterns, but it still seems pretty sporadic to me. Did 40 miles today, half of which was in pouring rain and wind on the highway (50 mph speed limit) up and down hills during rush hour... it was fun though, and i will sleep well tonight. too bad my knee is acting up again... glucosamine seems to be helping dull the pain a bit. All in all, i'm having fun riding in a new environment. surprisingly the drivers here are pretty respectful, and allow me plenty of room for the most part... im gonna post pics of the ride in "day in pics" if anyone cares to see the route.

I just found out I hate Patellar Tendonitis and IT Band Friction Syndrome. Bottom line is, it hurts like hell to walk.

Anyone run into anything like this before?

I've dealt with IT band issues before and yeah, totally hurts like hell. Lots of massage/physical therapy and lots of foam roller work. It took a while but the foam roller stuff really helped. Hurts like a mother but it totally helps.

Out of curiosity... have you been professionally fit to your bike?

Well, not riding for 2 weeks did about what I expected it would do coming into today's road race (Eugene Roubaix). Finished with the main group but sat up in final gravel section leading to the finish and just rolled through the line. Was cramping multiple times before that and ran out of water on like the 20th mile but managed to fight through.

Time to get back into more riding... first track race of the year next week. Can't wait! Track > road!!!

I've dealt with IT band issues before and yeah, totally hurts like hell. Lots of massage/physical therapy and lots of foam roller work. It took a while but the foam roller stuff really helped. Hurts like a mother but it totally helps.

Out of curiosity... have you been professionally fit to your bike?

I'm going to get a fit in about 2-weeks. I never ran into problems the past two seasons but I guess everything is catching up to me now. I know a local place that will do a full fit for about 150. I have a few friends that work there so i might be able to get in a little cheaper.

I know thats the first thing I should have done when I started riding. Seeing how I've always had knee problems.

MSM? Is it like EPO? Will it help me win a damn race? No, seriously... what is MSM?

Two coats of glue on the tubes and rims... going to add one more coat to the rims tomorrow and try to put the tubes on. Never done this before, but after reading the directions on Park Tools website... it looks, somewhat, less difficult than I thought. We'll see.

went mountainbiking for the first time in ages.

they added about 4 miles to the hilly section, made it alot faster and hella cutbacks in both directions. crazy big berms.

bruised palms and a crick in my neck. yet i ride the fully rigid mtb with pride.

MSM? Is it like EPO? Will it help me win a damn race? No, seriously... what is MSM?

Two coats of glue on the tubes and rims... going to add one more coat to the rims tomorrow and try to put the tubes on. Never done this before, but after reading the directions on Park Tools website... it looks, somewhat, less difficult than I thought. We'll see.

It's basically like glucosamine and chrondoitan. I believe MSM converts to those two substances in the body, anyway, being a form of dietary sulphur. You can find it in the supplement aisle of any grocery store.

Anyways, there's not a whole lot of studies to back up MSM's effectiveness (or glucosamine/chondroitan, for that matter) but it works for me and I'm fine with that. Don't think it'll help you win any bike races, but it could take away knee pain long enough that you can get on the bike for some intervals and train to win. That's my plan, anyway... 10x10's tomorrow.

And much like glucosamine/chondroitan, I guess it's a bandaid solution in that once you stop taking it, pain can come back. Either way, I'm hoping stretching and just having my legs spinning again out on the road bike should help the root.

Info: http://www.msmguide.com/jointpain/improvejointhealth/

Thanks Rubbish! I assumed that's what it was but wanted to be sure. I have a team mate who took G&C after a knee surgery and it helped get back on the bike sooner than later. Worth a try!

I got the okay from my PT to get back on the bike but only spin easy. I'll take it...

Nice photos, Count!