bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

HECK no rubbish.

looking at velonews bikes and tech is on the im-bored-at-work queue,

and i noticed hincapie and boonen dont have super record on their bikes.

personally i would take record 10 over the 11 speed generation,

but then performance and efficiency are not my top priorities.

although i was raised a campa snob i would probably fit a new bike with sram.

but thats a lot of hypotheticals.

Raced the PIR "World Championships" last night. They're not really a world champ race, obviously, but some people take it wayyyy too seriously so it has become a bit of a joke, of sorts, to call the weekly series the worlds. Anyway, only 12 laps. Took us a little less than 45 minutes. Spent most of the time at 30mph but there were a few times it dipped around 28-29mph. The hot-spot laps were way fast. Still feeling a little under the weather so I just sat in and watched the race from the middle of the pack. Was kinda nice. A crash on the last lap in the final turn kinda soured things a little but I missed it by a few feet. It was fun to get out there and chat with some folks (cat2 fellas) I haven't seen much of since last year. I love having a conversation with another rider while the pack is moving along at 30 mph... and you see some guy huffing his lungs out to stay with the group stare at you like "what the hell?"... because I've been there before and know that pain. Sucks to be suffering when everyone else is chatting and having a good time.

Thanks.

Being into having matching stuff and all, I'm actually doing my CX bike exactly the same... white frame, black tape, black saddle, white hoods. Will post pics after it gets re-built with SRAM, new 3T compact bars and a Easton fork... I love spending money on bikes!

PS You doing Table Rock or Icebreaker? Table Rock is going to be a 1/2/3 field, feed zones and 70 miles. Sounds nuts. I should be there.

Ugh. Not more than 8 miles into my first ride on those Pro Race 3's, the fucking front tire gets a nasty 3cm tear, likely from some glass (no particles in the tear). Changed the tube, made it on time to the meeting place for our local Thursday Worlds ride and didn't flat after, but fuck, Michelin. Their tires ride so nice but this is the 2nd or 3rd I've had durability problems with and getting a tear like that on the first ride is unacceptable.

Gonna patch it up and hope for the best.

finally on the bike, somewhat, after last saturdays race/fail:

route was some unkept farm roads - real rough stuff with a solid climb and a twisty/bumpy (see: gnarly) descent.

at one point the field strung out and a lead group formed, which i wasn't in.

started working with a few others and gaining some good ground once we got a solid paceline running.

all was lost when i was taking a pull through a right-hander and this lone smart guy decides to pinch my line into some gravel. i'm assuming he was still rotating through the turn - like a n00b.

in the end my ankle took a harsh shot, hand got nice and chewed up, helmet took some kind of puncture wound but my bike is basically sound.

about 30 people finished out of a field of approx 70.

and so goes my first shitfilled 'DNF'.

bostonbiker.org

boston have been on some gruesome shit this week. One rider in critical condition in the hospital, another fataly hit by a bus on wednesday. i know this thread has some serious riders but it never hurts for all of us to use some extra caution when out riding.

also opinions on some of the comments posted on here

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/regional/view/20100409gruesome_wrecks_raise_concerns_for_cyclists/

Shit like that sucks but unless the city is behind making the changes that bring awareness to drivers... unfortunately, not much will ever change. Adding bike lanes is a massive cost to the city so most refuse to use their dollars that way, and in turn, the cycling community suffers and never grows.

We're incredibly spoiled here in Portland when it comes to having a bike-friendly environment...

First crit of the year for me... race report.

Cat 3 crit, 40k, about 30-35 racers. For the first 3rd of the crit, my teammate spent some time off the front in a break but got caught. In the counter attack, a few people went out and I responded, following them. Over the laps, our four man break got about 35 seconds on the field.

Until... a friend in front of me crashed in a corner on account of forgetting to wear his contacts (luckily he took no one with him), and I cramped up with a side stitch. Of course, I was the lone sprinter in a group of TTers, so that could have had something to do with it. Anyways, I fell off the back of the break, the four man lead turned into 2, and after a few laps I got swallowed back up by the main field and recovered in the back.

With about 5 laps to go, a teammate got off the front and stayed off, somewhere between the break ad the main field. Lots of attacks and counterattacks that tired down the mass field. I stayed out of the wind, sucked wheel and got deep in the drops. With about two to go, I got in the front to avoid being boxed in... then got swallowed back up into a midpack box. Lap to go, same deal... but this time, I took the lead of the main group, got a few bike lengths on the field while we overtook 2 lapped riders through the last corner, then took a tight line through the corner alone and sprinted for the mass sprint win. 5th place overall. Stoked!

Next week: 75 mile race, feed zone, 1/2/3 field, 50mph descent and supposedly a 15% grade somewhere in there. Real ass road racing...